Author Topic: GSX Menue Will not come up **SOLVED**  (Read 13881 times)

Dean B

Re: GSX Menue Will not come up
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 03:34:50 pm »
Sorry to say but i'm running regular W10 and have the exact same issues - both GSX and airports refuse to remain installed despite numerous install /reinstalls.  Add on Manager say the're all installed and active. 

I've wasted two days trying to fix this.  It's driving me nuts!

-Dean.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 08:42:13 am »
Sorry to say but i'm running regular W10 and have the exact same issues

Are you sure you have the "exact same issue" ? Meaning, you have THIS specific error in the error log ?

ImportError: No module named wx
Application aborted because of a Python error

Dean B

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 03:40:55 pm »
No, sorry Umberto, I have no error log.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

-Dean.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 03:45:19 pm »
No, sorry Umberto, I have no error log.

Do you have a Couatl.LOG file instead ? Not having an Couatl.ERR file is normal, if you have logging enabled in the GSX Settings, because that option will log everything to the Couatl.LOG file instead.

Dean B

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 04:45:25 pm »
I will enable it the next time it makes an appearance :)

-Dean

Dean B

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 07:42:54 pm »
Umberto,

So I install my last FSDT AP - CYVR.  Sure enough GSX returns - I know straight away because I see 'Regenerating cache......' appear at start.  The buildings appear and 'Trial period has start...' appears.

Now....I go to GSX Menu / Settings.  Enable log / Save.

I return to P3D and...Kapow!... I have no buildings, 'Your Trial has ended..', GSX is no longer in the menu and 'Coult Restart' is unresponsive.

I restart but have no GSX menu again.

Log attached.

-Dean.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 08:46:55 am »
Now....I go to GSX Menu / Settings.  Enable log / Save.

I return to P3D and...Kapow!... I have no buildings, 'Your Trial has ended..', GSX is no longer in the menu and 'Coult Restart' is unresponsive.

Nobody ever reported such issue when JUST enabling logging. That looks like something related to antivirus, as if it has denied access to the folder. Or, possibly, some kind of permission problem on your hard drive.

Try this:

- Restart Windows

- Remove this folder

%APPDATA%\Virtuali    (this will clear all your airport and airplane configurations so, you might want to backup it somewhere first)

- Reinstall GSX

Dean B

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 04:10:01 pm »
Reinstalled GSX after deleting virtuali folder.  Restart P3D......no GSX in menu.

I have no AV on this W10 PC, only Defender.  I have excluded the coutl and GSX folders.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 04:28:13 pm »
Reinstalled GSX after deleting virtuali folder.  Restart P3D......no GSX in menu.

So now it has changed ? Before, you said it started normally, then it crashed after enabling logging. Now it doesn't even start ? Or, is started on the first launch of the sim after the installation, then it didn't came out on the first restart of the sim ?

Dean B

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 09:16:23 pm »
No, I did not say it started normally.  The only time GSX will bring itself 'back to life' is after a new AP is installed, and then only for the first P3D session.  If, during the first session, you force the sim to reload by either changing location or selecting a different AC, then GSX and coutl will fail to load.

Umberto, I appreciate you are dealing with numerous posts with people having the same 'disappearing GSX' issue or similar issues, but the fact remains - with the previous version we were all happy simmers enjoying your great program.  And that is it - if it wasn't such a good addition to the sim experience, I would have ditched it many aggravated hours ago.  I don't recall the last time, other than when i've been beta testing, I've spent the best part of three days trying to get an FS add-on to function correctly.

And please, with respect, don't tell us how it runs without issue on your Development machine.  Try installing 75% of the ORBX Catalogue, the new FTX Central, 50% of Aerosims work, all of UK2000's airports, all of Fly Tampa's, plus other smaller fish - 29Palms, justflight etc... PLUS three or four Study level aircraft. If members of your Team don't have at least some of these products then they are of little use. Sure, get each build working on your test rig with a vanilla install of each Sim, but then get your guys to break it anyway they can.  That's their sole function. Whilst I also appreciate that not everybody may exhibit this issue, there has to be commonality somewhere.

It is your, and your Teams responsibility to ensure your product will function alongside others.  Of course, I appreciate it is impossible to test every possible scenario, and as an experienced Beta tester myself, albeit a few years ago now, I know bugs will always creep through.  Though in this case, logic would seem to tell us that if a group of people have a fully functioning piece of software and the only variable that changes is a next build - no AV settings changed or Permissions altered, then the error surely is something in the build; it was rather substantial, no?

Perhaps you could supply a link to v2.1 with a non-functioning auto update, that will at least give us our scenery and a working GSX back.  i haven't made a flight in four days! :-)

Best of luck in tracking this down.

-Dean.

eno

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 11:01:25 pm »
Hm, apparently we can pin down the cause of this issue to windows insider preview and wait for next build this Wednesday or Thursday and maybe the issue will gone.  ::)

Win 10 build 17040 came out yesterday. Has the issue been resolved for you?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 10:37:56 am »
The only time GSX will bring itself 'back to life' is after a new AP is installed, and then only for the first P3D session.  If, during the first session, you force the sim to reload by either changing location or selecting a different AC, then GSX and coutl will fail to load.

Ok, now your description is different again, and I'm starting to understand. It seems you have two problems at the same time: not starting on the 2nd session, and a problem with restarting in-game.

Umberto, I appreciate you are dealing with numerous posts with people having the same 'disappearing GSX' issue or similar issues, but the fact remains - with the previous version we were all happy simmers enjoying your great program

We are discussing a problem you are reporting, and I cannot see ANY difference in the number of "disappearing GSX" reports with this version. Like any other executable that runs with the sim, there are countless or reasons why it might "disappear", they are *always* caused by external causes, either conflicts with other addons and by other non flight-sim related software like antivirus/firewall or by issues with Windows.

There are so many different ways the program might not start but, the end RESULT would always LOOK simular, and it will be "GSX disappearing".

It's just that now, for some reason, it's happening to you, so you are assuming there must be a problem with the new version, or an increase in the likelihood of its disappearance with this version, which is not the case.

And please, with respect, don't tell us how it runs without issue on your Development machine.  Try installing 75% of the ORBX Catalogue, the new FTX Central, 50% of Aerosims work, all of UK2000's airports, all of Fly Tampa's, plus other smaller fish - 29Palms, justflight etc... PLUS three or four Study level aircraft

I won't install anything from OrbX, because they never cared to reply to any of my request of cooperation about fixing all the issue their products cause to our sceneries (and so many others). But I have all the Flightbeam airports installed and several PMDG planes so no, it's just wrong assuming we test with just vanilla sim.

Sim, but then get your guys to break it anyway they can.  That's their sole function. Whilst I also appreciate that not everybody may exhibit this issue, there has to be commonality somewhere.

It is your, and your Teams responsibility to ensure your product will function alongside others

It obviously does but, I hope you don't expect we could *fix* others problems.

If some developer, for example, insist linking against OUTDATED version of Simconnect, or doesn't respect (like we do, of course), the LM recommendation that a P3D add-on SHOULD be compiled using the VC++ 2015 redistributable runtimes (like we do), otherwise conflicts might happen, while we keep seeing other addon modules installing all different versions, what are you expecting we do ?

Perhaps you could supply a link to v2.1 with a non-functioning auto update, that will at least give us our scenery and a working GSX back.  i haven't made a flight in four days!

Since the problem is surely not GSX, having a previous version won't help at all.

There's a KNOWN issue that we are trying to track it down, which is related to the new Windows Insider Preview version. At this time, there's no way to run GSX with it. We are setting up a test system with a Preview version, and we'll hopefully understand why, but it might take a while.

If you are not running the Windows Insider Preview, I'm afraid this is way to difficult to troubleshoot on the forum so, it's best we'd have a Teamviewer session, so I can check your system directly. PM me to arrange this.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:26:33 pm by virtuali »

SkylaneT

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 10:59:06 pm »
Hm, apparently we can pin down the cause of this issue to windows insider preview and wait for next build this Wednesday or Thursday and maybe the issue will gone.  ::)

Win 10 build 17040 came out yesterday. Has the issue been resolved for you?

No, the issue still remains with a new build.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 12:32:58 pm »

Right now, there's no way to run the software on any Windows Insider Preview build. The last version that works, it's the latest official version, which is the 16299 build.

We have identified the reason of the problem, and we'll surely release a fix before the Insider Preview will become official, but in the meantime, your only options are:

- Revert to the latest official build.

OR

- Wait for us to release a fix.

SkylaneT

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 02:39:44 pm »

Right now, there's no way to run the software on any Windows Insider Preview build. The last version that works, it's the latest official version, which is the 16299 build.

We have identified the reason of the problem, and we'll surely release a fix before the Insider Preview will become official, but in the meantime, your only options are:

- Revert to the latest official build.

OR

- Wait for us to release a fix.

Thank you very much for all of your answers and the solution. I'll wait for a fix, because I need insider preview for other SW testing purposes.  8)