Author Topic: Customise airport positions with FSDT CYVR  (Read 2296 times)

slatimer

Customise airport positions with FSDT CYVR
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:45:59 pm »
Loaded PMDG B777-300ER at gate C44 which is classed as RAMP in FSDT scenery.  The drop down menu lists 2 alternate options, one of which is GATE Heavy.  However, when I try to select this, the option will not register as a new choice?? It is as though the drop down choices are “dead”.

I want to edit these C4x gates at YVR for when I land because they are currently classed as “too small for your aircraft”, which they are not at the real airport!!

Thanks
Sean

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Customise airport positions with FSDT CYVR
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:53:27 pm »
I want to edit these C4x gates at YVR for when I land because they are currently classed as “too small for your aircraft”, which they are not at the real airport!!

That's not how you do that.

The Small/Medium/Heavy it's just a label, but it doesn't change the parking radius. It's normally used to override the parking type from Normal to Cargo or vice-versa, since many sceneries have it wrong, and this might confuse GSX with the operators used.

To allow an airplane to be accepted to a parking, because it's too small (assuming the parking DOES have space), as explained in Page 31 of the GSX manual, you should use the "Max Allowed Wingspan" parameter, which has a small "Airplane" icon, which will automatically set the max allowed Wingspan to the actual Wingspan of the plane you have currently loaded.

slatimer

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:40:15 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Having a drop down box at the top of the screen offering options mislead me to believe it worked and was helpful.  Therefore, what is the purpose of that menu?

slatimer

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:43:55 am »
As noted on pages 27-28 of the manual, Type menu should work and allow choice.  In my 2.2.0.0 this does not work??

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:33 am »
As noted on pages 27-28 of the manual, Type menu should work and allow choice.  In my 2.2.0.0 this does not work??

Nowhere in the manual there's any indication that changing the parking TYPE would have any effect on its SIZE. In fact, it just confirms what I've said in my previous reply, that changing the type it's usually done to set a non-cargo parking which was set as cargo by the scenery developer, and vice-versa, in order not to confuse GSX with the airline assignments.

The parking type is one thing, and the size is an entirely different setting. You can have a parking with 5.0 meters radius set as Heavy, or a 60.0 meters radius set as "Small", this is how the .BGL file format works.

Maybe, you assumed that, since some scenery editors like ADE or AFX, when you create a new parking, automatically set a default size, but that's just an editing convenience used by these programs, but GSX keeps them separate, which is how the underlying .BGL works and, it's better this way, because if we changed the radius automatically, the default vehicle placement would change too, so it might gets confusing, when the reason to change the type was just to fix 3rd party sceneries that flagged the type in non-standard ways.