Author Topic: Horrible frames at KSDF  (Read 4272 times)

Redwood Pres

Horrible frames at KSDF
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:37:08 am »
I used the newest version of GSX today. It worked great at Flightbeam’s KIAD but when used after landing at KSDF it dropped my frames to 1 (P3d v 4.1). I tried it again after a reboot of P3d and a spawn at KSDF. It dropped my frames to 1 again.
Eric Watters
President, Redwood Virtual
www.redwoodva.net

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Horrible frames at KSDF
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:02:36 am »
It's not possible that GSX could affect fps so much.

Were you using it at night ? Perhaps your issue is your graphic settings (especially antialiasing) too high, so the issue really was the Dynamic Lights, which is a combination of those coming with the scenery, plus the ones on the airplane, plus the ones on the GSX vehicles, and ALL are affected by the complexity of the scenery they are lighting into AND your graphic settings too.

Redwood Pres

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 04:29:22 pm »
It's not possible that GSX could affect fps so much.

Were you using it at night ? Perhaps your issue is your graphic settings (especially antialiasing) too high, so the issue really was the Dynamic Lights, which is a combination of those coming with the scenery, plus the ones on the airplane, plus the ones on the GSX vehicles, and ALL are affected by the complexity of the scenery they are lighting into AND your graphic settings too.

It is definitely related to GSX. It was during daylight and everything else you mentioned was no issue at other airports, including other FSDT airports, only at KSDF and only with the newest version of GSX; ergo, it is not an issue with my graphics settings. To further clarify, I was in a cargo aircraft (tried with both the PMDG 747 QOS and the 777).  I updated to the newest version to have the updated cargo handing capabilities. 

As I told you it worked fine at other airports with no issues other than the usual 2-3 fps hit GSX always causes. My frames were around 30 fps prior to starting GSX. Once GSX was running they dropped to 1-2 fps. Once GSX was closed frames immediately went back to around 30. I tried this multiple times with the same result.
Eric Watters
www.redwoodva.net

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:30:00 pm »
As I told you it worked fine at other airports with no issues other than the usual 2-3 fps hit GSX always causes. My frames were around 30 fps prior to starting GSX. Once GSX was running they dropped to 1-2 fps. Once GSX was closed frames immediately went back to around 30. I tried this multiple times with the same result.

This doesn't happen here, and nobody ever reported this in daylight.

To further clarify, I was in a cargo aircraft (tried with both the PMDG 747 QOS and the 777).  I updated to the newest version to have the updated cargo handing capabilities. 

Please clarify what do you mean with the newest version. The updated cargo handling abilities were added together with KSDF, and one wouldn't work without the other so, it's not possible you could have used a version without them at KSDF.

So, maybe you are referring to the very recent addition of 3 cargo loaders operating at the same time, which has been added shortly after KSDF ? While I might expect a *tiny* effect on fps by having a 3rd loader, it's simply not possible such impact, especially with P3D 4, so there must be something else going on.

What other addons you use ? Maybe a weather engine ?

We had reports that weather engines put lots of strain on the Simconnect communication channel, which result in GSX vehicles not moving smoothly, because they don't get the chance to talk with the sim, because Simconnect is flooded by commands sent by other addons. However, the usual result is that GSX would move "jumping", but the fps stays the same, so your issue seems different.

Redwood Pres

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:59:49 pm »
So, maybe you are referring to the very recent addition of 3 cargo loaders operating at the same time, which has been added shortly after KSDF ? While I might expect a *tiny* effect on fps by having a 3rd loader, it's simply not possible such impact, especially with P3D 4, so there must be something else going on.

That is what I was referring to. I downloaded the newest available version of GSX from your website on Saturday.

I feel like we're going around in circles here. I have explained that this only happened at the one airport (KSDF) and with GSX, and that it cannot be caused by my settings or other add-ons since, if it was related to my settings or Active Sky or any other add-on, I would be experiencing this issue at other airports. Also, if it was related to something other than GSX than it wouldn't only happen when GSX is started nor would it immediately rectify itself once GSX is closed.

If you are going to continue to insist that it must be a problem with everything other than GSX I'm going to assume I can expect no assistance from you with this issue. I'm disappointed.
Eric Watters
www.redwoodva.net

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:41:38 am »
I feel like we're going around in circles here. I have explained that this only happened at the one airport (KSDF) and with GSX, and that it cannot be caused by my settings or other add-ons since, if it was related to my settings or Active Sky or any other add-on, I would be experiencing this issue at other airports.

The issue is, if it happening ONLY at KSDF and ONLY after the update that added a 3rd cargo loader, doesn't add up. Does it happen on an UPS Cargo Stand parking ?

If yes, this is an even clearer proof the problem cannot be the 3rd cargo loader because, on such stands, there will never be all 3 cargo loaders running at the same time.

Also, have you installed the latest Live Update ? This will remove even the extra train that was added when we added the 3rd cargo loader so now, if you use a non-cargo airplane, the number of vehicles will be exactly the same as before.

Not to mention that, of course, NOBODY else has ever reported such fps drop, in daylight to begin with.

Also, if it was related to something other than GSX than it wouldn't only happen when GSX is started nor would it immediately rectify itself once GSX is closed.

This would only indicate GSX is affected by it. Meaning it might be the victim, not the cause.

If you are going to continue to insist that it must be a problem with everything other than GSX I'm going to assume I can expect no assistance from you with this issue. I'm disappointed.

I will continue to insist the problem is not caused by GSX, because it's not, and cannot be caused by the update, because it's not. However, that doesn't mean I don't intend to continue supporting you, until we'll find the real cause that, as usual, will undoubtedly turn out to be something else entirely.

First, what happens using a default airplane, at the same Gate ? And please, report the Gate used as well.

Eisbahn

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 11:11:21 am »
I used the newest version of GSX today. It worked great at Flightbeam’s KIAD but when used after landing at KSDF it dropped my frames to 1 (P3d v 4.1). I tried it again after a reboot of P3d and a spawn at KSDF. It dropped my frames to 1 again.

This article is essential reading for those experiencing performance loss in P3D v4.1.
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/512651-14jun17-how-not-to-mess-up-a-perfectly-good-prepar3d-v4-installation/

Redwood Pres

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 06:51:53 pm »
This article is essential reading for those experiencing performance loss in P3D v4.1.
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/512651-14jun17-how-not-to-mess-up-a-perfectly-good-prepar3d-v4-installation/

Thanks for sharing; I have read that before actually.
Eric Watters
www.redwoodva.net

Redwood Pres

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 07:04:57 pm »
The issue is, if it happening ONLY at KSDF and ONLY after the update that added a 3rd cargo loader, doesn't add up. Does it happen on an UPS Cargo Stand parking ?
See the attached screenshot showing the FPS at A101 at KSDF

If yes, this is an even clearer proof the problem cannot be the 3rd cargo loader because, on such stands, there will never be all 3 cargo loaders running at the same time.
You can see that there are three cargo loaders running at the same time in the attached screenshot.

Also, have you installed the latest Live Update ?
Yes. I was prompted to complete the live update in P3d last night. I completed the update prior to taking the screenshot.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:10:08 pm by Redwood Pres »
Eric Watters
www.redwoodva.net

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 09:53:24 am »
See the attached screenshot showing the FPS at A101 at KSDF

See the attached screenshot, at the same gate, same airplane, before and after GSX. The fps impact is there, for sure, but not nearly as high as yours, which clearly indicate something is not right.

What's your settings, especially the anti aliasing ?

You can see that there are three cargo loaders running at the same time in the attached screenshot.

That's because you are trying to use the wrong airplane for a Cargo stand.  As explained on the manual, to have the Cargo stand recognized as such, you must use the correct airplane, one that has a forward Main Cargo Door. This will configure the cargo stand as intended, with the loader starting on the platform, and no trains, because the cargo will be moved from the loader to the platform. Basically, the most important feature of the scenery...

747s do not park there, they park in the open space on Ramp 11.

However, it's not that you cannot use a 747 on a Cargo Stand. You obviously can, but the parking will then behave as a normal parking, which will result in all 3 loaders, with the trains. They might be forced to do awkward movements or start from unusual positions, because that parking spot is NOT designed to have all that vehicles: it's made to use the platform instead.

Not that this would have a great impact on the fps because, as you can see in my screenshot, the fps is still normal, however the GSX impact there is be a bit higher than we tested it, because we assumed (hoped) users would only park the proper airplanes there, which will result in less vehicles, and on the open parking space, the fps is surely higher, so having more vehicles there is not a problem.

But again, as you can see in my screenshot, even with a fps-intensive plane as the PMDG 747, parked in the wrong place, which means all the loaders/trains together, I still have a reasonable frame rate, even with my now almost "old" nVidia 980.