Author Topic: P3D bug with .xml addons?  (Read 4021 times)

curt1

P3D bug with .xml addons?
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:29:36 pm »
Umberto, I personally love the .xml method of installing sceneries, as it makes a P3D reinstall so much easier.  Unfortunately, I have run into an issue along with some other folks where adding new scenery will result in a crash when loading a scenario.  There are several different reports of this on other forums, and the reported fix is to remove .xml addons out of the Documents/P3D Add-ons folder and manually add them to the Scenery Library.  I could do that I suppose, but it sounds like something LM should address in a hotfix.  It's been reported to them also, but their take is to refer the problems to the scenery developer.

To give you my specific example, I have 25 airports installed using the .xml method.  When attempting to install airports from other vendors that require the Scenery Library method, the sim will load alright, but once I click ok to load the scenario the sim crashes.  I then uninstall the added airport and all is fine again.  Removing a couple .xml airports seems to fix things and I can add and fly the new installs okay.

I'm away from my sim computer for another week, but in my absence I can tell there's no momentum in identifying the exact cause or fix to these crashes, other than what I mentioned above.  My question to you is if you've heard anything about these issues, and will any issues arise if I manually add all my FSDT airports to the Scenery Library?  Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3D bug with .xml addons?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 12:54:36 pm »
My question to you is if you've heard anything about these issues, and will any issues arise if I manually add all my FSDT airports to the Scenery Library?  Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

There was a problem with too many areas added using the add-on.xml method, but it happened only during the beta period. After the release, someone with more than 1000 areas reported this, but LM said that this should have also been fixed by the Hotfix.

It's really difficult to know if the problem in the add-on-xml method itself, or it's specific to the airports you installed, but I suggest you not to change anything in our installation.

curt1

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 04:01:23 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  Since numerous people are experiencing this crash, I hope LM reevaluates this as an ongoing unsolved problem.  I will have to remove a percentage of my 25 .xml airports in order for P3D to accept other added airports thru the Scenery Library.  While P3Dv4 is a very good sim overall, I've found it to be more buggy than my previous FSX install.

Brunotx

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:08:46 am »
Same problem here after installing FSDG sceneries.

Brunotx

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 09:20:09 pm »
Any updates?

I just figured out that I have reached a maximum scenery amount.

If I install a new one, I get a crash, but if I uninstall an old one before installing the new one everything is OK.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:44:34 am »
Please report this on LM support forum, it's totally useless reporting it here, because only them can fix it.

We are just following the officially suggested installation method in the SDK so, LM is surely bound to fix any problems resulting in using the proper and  documented method.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »
I reported the issue to LM, and they would like to know if all of you that had issues with the 25-max scenery areas, have installed the Hotfix, which is supposed to fix a problem related to the file encoding that might be related to this.

curt1

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 02:05:03 am »
I reported the issue to LM, and they would like to know if all of you that had issues with the 25-max scenery areas, have installed the Hotfix, which is supposed to fix a problem related to the file encoding that might be related to this.

For whatever reason I'm having trouble establishing an account at the LM forum.  I can tell you that I did have the hotfix in place with my problems, and there is a thread on their site with others complaining of a scenery threshold.  I think they have enough complaints coming in where they'll have to address this pretty quickly.