Author Topic: Access Denied to certain Folders **SOLVED**  (Read 2556 times)

maddmatt1999

Access Denied to certain Folders **SOLVED**
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:51:33 am »
Hello all. Recently I have come into a problem with GSX where the drop down menu doesn't even show up in the sim anymore. I have tried reinstalling the add on manager, but that didn't solve anything. The hotkey to bring up the control menus don't do anything either. I have also tried reinstalling gsx, but somehow access to some of the folder has been restricted and I'm not sure why. I seem to have access to all folder accept the "wx" folder which is contained in "coutl". This makes it so I am unable to reinstall gsx and try to get the addon to work once more. Attached is an image as to the problem that I am running into https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2zS7soJveGAcXF2LUdPLTVoSGM/view?usp=sharing    Anyone got ideas?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:55:23 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Access Denied to certain Folders
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 03:05:06 pm »
You are not supposed to change the security permissions for that file since our installer obviously set the correct permissions for its folder when it starts.

But the access denied might be caused also because you try to change permission (which is not needed to begin with), when the sim was still running, or if was still closing, or if Steam is running.

Try to do it after a Windows restart.

Also, the fact you are using a folder *inside* the FSX folder, seems to indicate you are using an old version of the Addon Manager, since the new one defaults to (and it's BEST to install there) its own Addon Manager folder under C:\Program Files (x86)

- Restart Windows

- Uninstall everything you have from FSDT. Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager" ?

- Download and install the CURRENT installers. Don't install anything using outdated installers.

- Accept the suggested C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager location, which is a perfectly sensible choice, if you have enough space on C:

maddmatt1999

Re: Access Denied to certain Folders
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 06:20:30 pm »
Good news! That seems to have done the trick for me. I believe the main mistake that I made was not doing a full reinstall of the addon manager when I though that I was. I ended up on updating the version that was still inside of the FSX folder. And I normally don't mess with permissions just because that normally makes things worse, but I just figured things were screwed up enough so why not take a shot in the dark :P. Thanks for the help and the quick fix, I really appreciate it a lot.