Author Topic: Re-Installing P3Dv4 with FSDT Scenery  (Read 2589 times)

B777ER

Re-Installing P3Dv4 with FSDT Scenery
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:21:40 pm »
So I see how FSDT installs the scenery now via the xml method. How do you get the scenery to show back up in P3Dv4 if you were to uninstall P3Dv4 say when an update is released? I am not understanding how that process works? How does sim see the scenery or should I say how do you reactivate the scenery via the xml method? Obviously I know you don't uninstall the FSDT stuff, it stays where it is but how do you make the FSDT stuff see the updated P3Dv4 (when say version 4.1 comes out)?
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Re-Installing P3Dv4 with FSDT Scenery
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:35:30 pm »
What you are referring to, is the discovery process.

When a scenery is installed using the add-on.xml method AND the add-on.xml is located under Documents\Prepar3D V4 Addons, which is the case for all our products, if you Uninstall the sim and reinstall it, even from scratch, and even by clearing up all its files, including the scenery.cfg, if you don't remove the Documents\Prepar3D V4 Addons folder, when the sim will first restart after a complete reinstall, it will search for all add-on.xml files and will ask if you want to activate each product.

This will save you from having to run all these products installers again.

If, instead, if you upgrade the sim JUST by Uninstalling/Reinstalling the client, this wouldn't even be an issue, since the preference are not usually removed when upgrading. But of course, if you want to upgrade and clean up and remove the preference files anyway, as long as you don't remove the Documents\Prepar3D V4 Addons with all the add-on.xml that are located there, the discovery process will start too.

B777ER

Re: Re-Installing P3Dv4 with FSDT Scenery
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:16:32 pm »
Good info, thank you
Eric