Author Topic: P3DV4 - scenery library management  (Read 5260 times)

masondom

P3DV4 - scenery library management
« on: July 14, 2017, 01:47:21 pm »

Hi
I don't understand why FSDT installs all its sceneries on top of the scenery library in P3DV4.

And your sceneries entries levels cannot be moved. Don't you think that this can have a cascade of consequences in the future ?

Well it's already started with Aerosoft Trondheim. It has been installed before your sceneries, worked well.
and after KLAS installation, Trondheim is a mess. No buildings visible and elevation issue on my PMDG aircraft.

Any tip ? And why do you grant yourself the right to put your sceneries entries on top of the scenery library ?
Dom Mason

streichholz

Re: P3DV4 - scenery library management
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:38:03 pm »
Actually, FSDT install the scenery like they should be according to Lockheed Martins suggestion, not to install it via the scenery.cfg anymore. Unfortunately not all developer do this and continue with the scenery.cfg.

In fact, I hope LM forces every developer with the xml method.

masondom

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:09:43 pm »
Thanks for the explanation but i think FSDT is acting a little bit to wild here to imposing L-M's indicated method.  :o

Dom Mason

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:21:15 pm »
Thanks for the explanation but i think FSDT is acting a little bit to wild here to imposing L-M's indicated method

No, it's the other developers that don't use this method, which has been around for years (the specs were published in the SDK when V3 was released in 2015), that should realize it's time to adopt the proper standard, which even if it might be a bit annoying, because it will force them to rewrite all their installers, it will offer so many benefits in the long run.

The huge advantages of this method have been explained so many times, both in this forum and many other places too. If you UNDERSTAND the new method, there's no way you'd want to go back to the dark ages of having a shared scenery.cfg file, a shared dll/exe.xml file, with all the pain and associated to maintain them.

masondom

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »
Jesus. I dont want to understand. As a customer i JUST want my products to work and a flexible way of resolving technical issues.
I should be able to manage myself sccenery library entries OR - guys - ask L-M to manage this properly in order that there is no issues anymore.
I dont want to be in the MIDDLE of a developers war.
Tired of all this. 
It's a small market, that's all right, but i dont want to spend hours of configurations before playing 30 mn on my simulation !
And Fly Tampa is no better with their unexplained patches  nor Orbx with their full opacity (still no airport scenery compatible with P3DV4...).

Dom Mason

streichholz

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 12:43:46 pm »
You don't have to tweak or mess around with FSDT sceneries whatsoever . Just run the install button, select any folder you want to and go for it. There is nothing what should be above the airports in the order, so I don't get this logic here.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 02:50:52 pm »
As a customer i JUST want my products to work and a flexible way of resolving technical issues.

That's precisely what the new installation system is about: it's reducing the change for conflicts and problems, by not having all sceneries share a single scenery.cfg file, and having each one its own configuration file.

I should be able to manage myself sccenery library entries OR - guys - ask L-M to manage this properly in order that there is no issues anymore.

We asked many times to LM about this. And in the meantime, there's the free Lorby scenery organizer.

It's a small market, that's all right, but i dont want to spend hours of configurations before playing 30 mn on my simulation !

That's precisely want this new system is all about. You don't only have less chance of conflicts but, if you need to reinstall the sim, you won't even have to reinstall the addons.

Only the smart ones, of course, those that use the new system. Those that don't...you are back to the hours of configurations and solving conflicts, like it always was.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:53:31 pm »
Well it's already started with Aerosoft Trondheim. It has been installed before your sceneries, worked well. and after KLAS installation, Trondheim is a mess. No buildings visible and elevation issue on my PMDG aircraft.

Nothing in the KLAS installer can possibly have any effect on a scenery so far. Is this scenery using SODE perhaps ? Maybe there's an issue with it, because KLAS requires SODE too, for jetways, but KLAS doesn't install SODE, it comes only with GSX.

masondom

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 07:31:24 pm »
Yes Umberto. i think you are right about that. Sode is most probably involved in this issue.

Dom