Author Topic: Next european airport  (Read 14245 times)

AaronMyers

Re: Next european airport
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 07:02:27 pm »
That leave us with only TWO North American airports that were in modern good quality - FSDT KJFK and FSDT KORD.  ::)

You neglect to mention Flightsceneries KPDX and KPVD, but your point still stands. I do think however with the complete lack of any quality WSSS or YSSY sceneries, those could potentially sell equally as well as the American sites.

JFKpilot

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 09:08:20 pm »
U.S. airports have plenty of documentation and a high sales potential, in addition to being neglected by most developers. So it's a win-win situation for Fsdt.  People will be happy to buy neglected American airports and there should be plenty of profits.   
I don't think there's any potential in Australia -- Orbx/FTX dominates there. Ditto Germany -- Aerosoft and the uk -- uk2000. If only Asia had better documentation then we might see more coverage there...
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  -James Dickey

AaronMyers

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 10:47:35 pm »
I don't think there's any potential in Australia -- Orbx/FTX dominates there. Ditto Germany -- Aerosoft and the uk -- uk2000. If only Asia had better documentation then we might see more coverage there...

Did they produce a YSSY scenery that I missed that is any good? Are they producing sceneries compatible with FS9? I think YSSY would have a huge market despite what another company is producing for other areas.

JFKpilot

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 01:03:24 am »
Did they produce a YSSY scenery that I missed that is any good? Are they producing sceneries compatible with FS9? I think YSSY would have a huge market despite what another company is producing for other areas.

I don't think orbx yssy will be out for a long time.  Either way it'll be fsx-only.  For fs9 there's the freeware VOZ and payware CLS, both are so-so IMO.
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  -James Dickey

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 04:45:54 am »
We did a nice rendition of Florence airport ( one of the most popular touristic destination in Italy ) for Aerosoft, and it also has the whole city in 3d together with it, and very good fps on top of that. It's also an interesting airport, because the short runway combined with the surrounding terrain, makes for a challenging approach.

Well...JFK sold in a couple of *hours* more than Florence in a year, and Zurich and Geneva didn't fared much different.

That basically defines the issues about making italian airports.

I understand this position. I really do. However, when you go to work on your next European senery what airport could you possibly do that everyone would want outside of Italy? Simwings are working on new Mega Airport Spain seneries. Aerosoft has Germany COVERED from head to toe. Austria is covered with both high quality pay and freeware seneries. France is covered by Simwings and VFR France. The UK is covered by UK2000. Poland is being covered with a awesome new payware developer. Holland is being covered by Aerosoft with new AMS and Rotterdam. Croatia is covered quite well indeed. Portugal has it's 2 best ariports covered by Aerosoft. We have Budapest from Aerosoft which is the best airport in Hungary. Brussles and Stockholm well covered. Please don't tell me you are going to out do Dream Factory studio again and redux Stockholm. The one they did is JUST FINE! Greece is covered with a helliva lof of freeware seneries that are great! C9 already did Bergen which is great!

That leaves the MAJOR following airports you really need to consider outside of Italy: Copenhagen, Praha Ruzyne, Helsinki, Goteborg, Dublin, Nice, aww screw it others can add to the list. My Point is Italy is F'in HUGE!!! And we have ONE freakin payware quality senery in the whole damn country!!!!!! This is rediclous, Besides the airports I listed in Europe, I think Italy indeed!! Should be your next choice and it should be a Major airport. Does anyone disagree with me here. Please keep up with US seneries!! Please!!! But when you start work on the next Europe senery, please consider this post. Italy is a wonderful county! I have been many times! My favoriate food is there! Why can't the seneries be great too?????

Cheers!!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 10:51:02 am »
That is something I don't understand. FS is an american product, but by far the best addon-designers come from outside the states? Even FlyTampa is half-german.

If you look some years back, it was even more euro-centric than it is now. At least, today we have some devs coming from the US or other parts of the world, like Brazil and Australia. But when the first FS commercial product started to appear, about 1993/94 in the FS 4 era ( Yes, we were there, working with the "original" LAGO, the good one, before it was sold by their owners ), there were no developers outside Europe.

So I can really understand Umberto, saying that there is a much bigger market in the States than in Europe.

It's not so simple. It's not that there's a "much" bigger market in the States. There is, instead, a more open market to exploit, because there's less competition and we see more potential for growth there.

And, the US is a much more streamlined market: there's only one language, there's more uniformity between users spending habits, there are less problems buying online, almost everybody has a Credit Card, and it's easier to reach users and let them know about our products, because they tend to be concentrated on a few major websites, instead of the thousands sites (all in different languages of course), we have in Europe.

Europe IS complex. Each country is different, different languages are a barrier to make advertising and to support users, and even the very use of the PC as a gaming platform is not the same across Europe, because there's a big difference between, for example, Germany (and the other german-speaking countries), were the PC is still quite strong, and other countries like Italy or Spain, were the PC is relatively strong but plagued with extreme piracy rates, and consoles are keep taking over market share away from the PC every year.

That's why you see most of the flight sim developement revolving around european developers and, specifically, lots of products appealing to german-speaking countries. Zurich, by the way, is still our best selling scenery so far, for example. But we don't see much space for growth there, because the major airports in that area are well covered by Aerosoft so, it wouldn't make much sense going against them, also considering we do business with them at several levels.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 09:15:43 pm by virtuali »

SK-1323

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 08:25:04 pm »
I, personally hope that you could make a scandinaian airport again. ENGM and EKCH comes to mind as they are some very neglected airports for both FS9 and FSX.

seeing as you and/or Cloud9 made a fantastic representation of ENBR a few years back i have no doubt that you could make another great scandinavian airport :)

Anyway, whatever airport you choose to make i'm sure it's going to be great and i'll most likely get it as long as it's made for FS9