Author Topic: Thanks for Screwing EVERYTHING UP **SOLVED**  (Read 3958 times)

B777ER

Thanks for Screwing EVERYTHING UP **SOLVED**
« on: June 03, 2017, 04:50:59 pm »
I ran the new GSX install and chose a path outside the one it defaulted to as I already have scenery installed outside of P3D. I then ran the live updater as well. Everything from fsdt and flightbeam got moved to the new folder which was good. However it deleted all my scenery.cfg entries and did not create any new ones. Now i have to go recreate all my scenery.cfg entries. Thanks for creating another hour or so of work for me with your lame installer that cannot rewrite the scenery.cfg entries. I am on P3D v 3.3.5.

UPDATE: Umberto solved the issue. New install process works on v 3.4 and above. Updated client to latest v3 available and it works now.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:59:44 pm by B777ER »
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Thanks for Screwing EVERYTHING UP
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 05:34:35 pm »
EDIT: d/l latest addon manager, still did not write the entries to my scenery.cfg. Incredible how bad you all can screw up someone's install.

First, calm down.

And before saying something like that, I suggest it's always best to get your facts straight, since from what you wrote, it's obvious your problem it's JUST that you don't understand how the new scenery installation system works, but you have been very quick to blame our installer, which is working perfectly fine and, by trying to "fix" your scenery.cfg, that didn't required ANY fix to begin with, you are probably causing even more problems, reinforcing your mistaken assumption "it was our installer".

The "new" scenery installation system, which is not really new, since it has been introduced with P3D3, and finalized in P3D 3.3, does't require the scenery.cfg anymore!!

Add-on products now have their own private configuration file, located under Documents\Prepar3d Add-ons, each one with its own sub-folder, each one containing its own add-on.xml file, which specify with Scenery, Textures, Effects, Sounds, DLL modules, EXE Modules, the add will require, WITHOUT having to use the now obsolete scenery.cfg method.

The HUGE advantage of this system, is that we DO NOT touch ANY of the core configuration files of the simulator, which used to create so much problems in the past, usually because of conflicts or hand-editing. The DLL/EXE.XML files are not touched, the scenery.cfg is not touched, the Prepar3d.cfg file is not touched, and so on.

NOTHING in the sim is touched, except the C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Add-ons.cfg file, which is not even touched by our installer, but we ask to Prepar3D.exe itself to modify it for us so, it's impossible to have an installer "screwing up" your sim configuration files.

And the other HUGE advantage of this system is that *because* we haven't touched any of the default configuration files of the sim, you can UNINSTALL and entirely wipe-out the whole simulator, but you won't have to reinstall the add-ons. Only those using this system, of course.

If you need to reinstall the sim, as long as you keep intact the small folders in your Documents folder containing the add-on.xml, and you don't remove the actual files of the products (now located, by default, under C:\Program Files\Addon Manager, the newly installed sim will ask you if you want to reactivate those products, so if you reply YES, the sim ITSELF will make the necessary adjustments to its own Add-ons.cfg file, and you'll be back with all your previous add-ons, 10 seconds after a total simular reinstall.

Now, compare this to the old way of having to uninstall all your addons first, uninstall the sim, reinstall the sim, reinstall all your addons.

Without even mentioning the other auxiliary advantages, like the fact you only had to install our products ONCE, and they appeared in all the sim, compared to the old way of installing each one for each installed sim, and the the big saving of hard drive space.

B777ER

Re: Thanks for Screwing EVERYTHING UP **SOLVED**
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 05:37:54 pm »
Then why is no scenery showing up? It certainly is not solved. I have default scenery showing at every fsdt/flightbeam airport.
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 05:44:38 pm »
Then why is no scenery showing up? It certainly is not solved. I have default scenery showing at every fsdt/flightbeam airport.

That's surely because you must have made some kind of mistake, when you mistakenly assumed the installer screwed up everything, if you tried to add the areas manually to the scenery.cfg, which wasn't needed.

Adding an area that already exists in the scenery.cfg, for example, is known to cause a scenery to conflict with itself, so the scenery won't show up. But again, I cannot say without checking your files.

If you want to have a Teamviewer session, I can easily point you out to whatever problem you have introduced. PM-me to arrange that.

B777ER

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 05:48:38 pm »

That's surely because you must have made some kind of mistake, when you mistakenly assumed the installer screwed up everything, if you tried to add the areas manually to the scenery.cfg, which wasn't needed.

Adding an area that already exists in the scenery.cfg, for example, is known to cause a scenery to conflict with itself, so the scenery won't show up. But again, I cannot say without checking your files.

If you want to have a Teamviewer session, I can easily point you out to whatever problem you have introduced. PM-me to arrange that.

I did not mess with the scenery.cfg at all prior to looking to see that default scenery was now showing. I can confirm all the files were moved to the proper folders you mentioned above. However default scenery is showing. I installed GSX, chose a path to a folder outside of P3D, (note, it was not to the default location the installer chooses, I chose another area outside the sim) and then it did it's thing and moved everything outside the sim into the folder as it should. The addon.cfg has the correct path for all the sceneries. Still only showing default scenery. Addon manager says it is active but not installed in the scenery library.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:59:19 pm by B777ER »
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 06:09:41 pm »
Addon manager says it is active but not installed in the scenery library.

This is surely the problem.

Again, not possible to really say, without having a look at your system. If you want to have a TM session, I can check this in 5 minutes. If you want to continue on the forum, it will take dozen of post with questions and answer until, file by file, we'll found what file was wrong in your system that might have caused this.

B777ER

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 06:10:56 pm »
Addon manager says it is active but not installed in the scenery library.

This is surely the problem.

Again, not possible to really say, without having a look at your system. If you want to have a TM session, I can check this in 5 minutes. If you want to continue on the forum, it will take dozen of post with questions and answer until, file by file, we'll found what file was wrong in your system that might have caused this.

I sent you a PM. Standing by with Teamviewer right now.
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 07:23:28 pm »
Finished the TM session, and we discover something unexpected: he had P3D 3.3.5, and there's seems to be some kind of bug in it, that a file (the scenery_addons.xml) which keep the updated list of all addons added through the xml method, is not created with 3.3.5, although the SDK documentation says this method should work from 3.3 onwards.

So, we just updated to the latest 3.4 and, sure enough, everything worked again.