Author Topic: Installation Question  (Read 11054 times)

Lude2Envy

Installation Question
« on: May 31, 2017, 03:40:59 am »
The CLT installer moved everything from my FSX/P3D folder into the Addon Manager folder, but the sceneries are no longer in the scenery library in FSX/P3D. They're only in the library for P3D v4. Is this a mistake or do we have to go back and add each airport manually in FSX/P3D? Thanks.
Ian

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz
16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4
ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Samsung 950 Pro SSD x2, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

allybear21

Re: Installation Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 04:51:30 am »
Me too, nothing works now.  What a mess!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:25:01 am »
The CLT installer moved everything from my FSX/P3D folder into the Addon Manager folder, but the sceneries are no longer in the scenery library in FSX/P3D

The installer will not just move the sceneries, but will of course update the entries on the scenery library, in FSX or P3D up to version 3.2.

Version 3.3 and above will use the new method of the add-on.xml, so they won't be in the scenery.cfg anymore and this is CORRECT, but they will obviously work in the sim.

The most likely issue is that your scenery.cfg in FSX ALREADY had some kind of syntax error or illegal commands or other issues, so the installer couldn't updated it automatically, risking corrupting it even more.

You should be able to fix by downloading and installing the updated installers. The migration was made for the obvious reason to SAVE you from re-downloading anything, and it surely works, but it cannot work if your scenery.cfg already had issues so, I would like to have a look at it, if you could send it to my by email.

himmelskind

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:28:36 am »
Holy crap!

Same here in FSX!

ALL my FSDT and FliGHTBEAM and Cloud9 sceneries
 -like 6 GB are moved by the new KCLT-installer
from my big Flightsim HD to my small C HD,into the Addon-manager folder,
and there is no way to change that.
To click the browse-spot in the installer does not work.
My C Harddisc now has no space anymore.
All the FSDT and Flightbeam sceneries do not work anymore.
To download the latest installer of any of your sceneries,as you propose just lets this
process repeat again.

And to make this clear : my scenery.cfg is in the best shape!!!
All kind of sceneries of any developer worked perfect till now!
But the installer changes the paths in the scenery.cfg correctly to the Addon-manager
folder.
But as said above,I do not have enough space on this harddisc an I do not want any
scenery in my programs folder!

What a mess,what a desaster!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 06:50:14 am »
from my big Flightsim HD to my small C HD,into the Addon-manager folder, and there is no way to change that.

You were offered a chance to choose the installation folder for KCLT. The installer just moved everything else in that folder because, as usual, all our sceneries must stay together in the same place.

To click the browse-spot in the installer does not work.

The browse button surely works, the 1st time, allowing to choose an installation folder.

The 2nd time you run an installer, it will defaults to the previously chosen one. FSDT and Flightbeam sceneries ALWAYS had to stay together, under the simulator main folder, you didn't had the ability to move them around freely so, really, what's changed now ?

Nothing, they still must be together, just that now, you can CHOOSE where you want to have them, while before, you didn't even had that choice: they always went under the sim.

My C Harddisc now has no space anymore.

Them why you chose to install under C:\ ?? Again, the first time you WERE offered a choice, it's just for subsequent installs that you cannot choose anymore. Before, you didn't even have the ability to choose, now you CAN, and you can do a mistake...

To download the latest installer of any of your sceneries,as you propose just lets this

That's because you never said your problem was that you didn't had enough space on the drive you choose to install into.

But as said above,I do not have enough space on this harddisc an I do not want any scenery in my programs folder!

Then why you haven't selected a bigger drive when asked to, which was the fist time you installed KCLT ?

What a mess,what a desaster!

Which you caused, by purposely telling the installer to use a drive you knew didn't had much space. But of course, the installer obviously have a logical way to fix this, if you realize you made a mistake, and chose the wrong drive initially, you can do as follows:

- Uninstall all sceneries. During any of the uninstall processes, reply YES to the question:

"Do you want to remove the Addon Manager" ?

Which will CLEAR the choice you made initially so, on the next reinstall, you will be allowed to choose the installation folder freely, like the first time so, this time, just be careful and choose the correct place.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:55:25 am by virtuali »

himmelskind

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 07:18:44 am »
In all previous FSDT-installers and Flightbeam-installers over all the years the installer always found the
FS root folder and installed the scenery by default there.

There should be at least a warning
that now by default everything is installed into the addon-manager-folder and all other FSDT-sceneries
are moved across the computer to the addon-manager folder.
No other installer ever did that.
And I suppose I am not the only one,who has the addon-manager in the programs(x86)-folder
on another harddisc than the FS root-folder.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:38:18 am »
In all previous FSDT-installers and Flightbeam-installers over all the years the installer always found the FS root folder and installed the scenery by default there.

More precisely:

"In all previous FSDT-installers and Flightbeam-installers over all the years the installer always found the FS root folder and installed the scenery by default there, not allowing you any choice

Now, the installer offers you a choice for the installation folder, which is obviously a good thing, since you might not have enough space on the same drive you installed the sim on, but you might have lots of space elsewhere, which is exactly the point and the main advantage of the new system.

Of course, when you are free to select a drive and a folder, you might also do mistakes. As I've said, you can change this, by Uninstalling the Addon Manager entirely, so it will allow to choose again

And I suppose I am not the only one,who has the addon-manager in the programs(x86)-folder on another harddisc than the FS root-folder.

I really don't understand the issue: you can choose the folder freely now, it can be under C:\programs(x86), D:\programs(x86), K:\fsdt, J:\MyFSDTSTUFF, whatever you like, it will go there, with everything.

We assumed that most user would LIKE this enhanced freedom of being able to choose the drive and folder freely. What you cannot do, is to have an FSDT scenery in one place, and another FSDT scenery in another place, which is exactly the same as before, with the added limitation that, before, you weren't even allowed to choose anything, so it always went into the sim folder.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 08:50:22 am »
 I think the issue is more that there was no instruction to the install. The default was simply to install Addon Manager to C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager. There was no indication that EVERYTHING FSDT was also going to get installed there. It's a rather big change from how you've done it previously and isn't explained at all.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 09:37:37 pm »
I think the issue is more that there was no instruction to the install. The default was simply to install Addon Manager to C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager. There was no indication that EVERYTHING FSDT was also going to get installed there. It's a rather big change from how you've done it previously and isn't explained at all.

Yes, I agree, but we were so busy updating the things that matters the most (the actual files), that there simply wasn't enough time to rewrite the install guide in order to make it in time for the release.

But sure enough, even the install guide is now covered under the Live Update so yes, we'll update that one as soon as possible, trying to explain the new system in detail.

Lude2Envy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 10:14:50 pm »
The CLT installer moved everything from my FSX/P3D folder into the Addon Manager folder, but the sceneries are no longer in the scenery library in FSX/P3D

The installer will not just move the sceneries, but will of course update the entries on the scenery library, in FSX or P3D up to version 3.2.

Version 3.3 and above will use the new method of the add-on.xml, so they won't be in the scenery.cfg anymore and this is CORRECT, but they will obviously work in the sim.

The most likely issue is that your scenery.cfg in FSX ALREADY had some kind of syntax error or illegal commands or other issues, so the installer couldn't updated it automatically, risking corrupting it even more.

You should be able to fix by downloading and installing the updated installers. The migration was made for the obvious reason to SAVE you from re-downloading anything, and it surely works, but it cannot work if your scenery.cfg already had issues so, I would like to have a look at it, if you could send it to my by email.

I made a mistake. My sceneries are there in FSX. They weren't loading because of SimstarterNG. My FSDT sceneries are NOT loading in P3D though. I'm using version 3.3.5. I'm also only using SimstarterNG in FSX, not P3D.
Ian

ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 10:32:38 pm »
I made a mistake. My sceneries are there in FSX. They weren't loading because of SimstarterNG.

Which, as we explained so many times on the forum, is totally useless, for our sceneries. They do custom memory management, keep disabling/reenabling them won't save you any memory.

My FSDT sceneries are NOT loading in P3D though. I'm using version 3.3.5. I'm also only using SimstarterNG in FSX, not P3D.

It's possible it was active when you installed ?

Lude2Envy

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 11:42:11 pm »
It's possible it was active when you installed ?

They were all active when I installed KCLT.
Ian

ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 11:52:12 pm »
They were all active when I installed KCLT.

I said "it", referring to the Simstarter NG.

Lude2Envy

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 12:17:30 am »
I said "it", referring to the Simstarter NG.

No. I never used Simstarter with P3D. Only with FSX.
Ian

ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

Lude2Envy

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 03:46:27 pm »
Any suggestion to get my sceneries back into v3 with the new method?
Ian

ASUS Z170-Deluxe
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti