Author Topic: The addon <unknown> is causing the Couatl Scripting Engine to restart  (Read 10190 times)

keino333

couatl v3.1 (build 3625)
panic log started on Fri Apr 21 00:50:37 2017

problem raised by addon <unknown>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "couatl\common\fsm.py", line 73, in executeDoFuncToCompletion
  File "couatl\GSX\assistanceServices\__init__.py", line 826, in do
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'gsx'
{}

That's my issue...is there a fix

Hightower

Re: The addon <unknown> is causing the Couatl Scripting Engine to restart
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 02:13:14 pm »
Funny I just came on to the forum to figure out this exact error im getting as well. Just suddenly started happening.

Ran the standalone addon manager with no difference.  FSDT airport makes no difference either. Wish it would be a little more specific about which addon <unknown> is causing the couatl script error.
I dont have any <unknown> addons.  ;D :D

keino333

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:39:43 pm »
I think I've discovered the fix...at least on this juncture.  I googled and found that in the past this issue was rectified by uninstalling GSX in its entirely including all its dealings,  Couatl plus the addon manager. Then download and install the latest GSX (Full installer).  Everything is now in working order, however, I would/could and so could the community appreciate some feedback from FSDT on why we see so many of these occurrences/re-occurrences.

So FDST, how say you?

Respectfully

Hightower

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:46:05 pm »
Yea that always seems the fix. But there must be an easier way. What does the error mean and what is it looking for. Was hoping to avoid the whole uninstall everything and reinstall everything routine.

Hightower

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:38:32 am »
Nevermind.  The answer is here from previous thread. Its just not easy to find even in search unless your narrow the search by just a few words instead of the whole error. Easy fix. No need to reinstall everything.

"The problem is not caused by the update, it's caused because you must have disabled GSX from its menu.

Could you please check if you disabled GSX, maybe when trying to get rid of the problem ? It can be done with the GSX menu, by choosing the "Disable addon" menu option.

Of course, if you disabled it, it would not be possible to access the GSX menu now, but that setting is saved in this file:

%APPDATATA%\Virtuali\Couatladdons.ini

See if you have these lines near the start:

[gsx]
disable = 1

and change it to

[gsx]
disable = 0

keino333

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 03:12:34 pm »
Will do next time, but I can tell you I've never used that command.  Some how; and if that were true for my issue, GSX magically took it upon itself to "disable".  All I did when this occurred was startup P3D after two days and the issue was present.  Prior to this I flew successfully without incident and ended my session after GSX had deplaned.   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 11:54:44 am »
Some how; and if that were true for my issue, GSX magically took it upon itself to "disable".

You can only disable GSX by using the menu, or editing the Couatladdons.ini file manually. You probably click the "Disable" menu option inadvertently, since it's just above the "Settings".

We already fixed this in our upcoming update, so you will be able to disable/enable GSX without causing an error, even if there isn't any real reason to do it (GSX won't take any memory, unless you start it), unless for doing troubleshooting.

keino333

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 06:26:07 pm »
Some how; and if that were true for my issue, GSX magically took it upon itself to "disable".

You can only disable GSX by using the menu, or editing the Couatladdons.ini file manually. You probably click the "Disable" menu option inadvertently, since it's just above the "Settings".

We already fixed this in our upcoming update, so you will be able to disable/enable GSX without causing an error, even if there isn't any real reason to do it (GSX won't take any memory, unless you start it), unless for doing troubleshooting.

Cool,
When are you releasing this update?  Also, I've noticed that when flying into FSDT / Flightbeam Scenery along with an active GSX, I get severe pauses as I approach the runway/field.  This is particularly bothersome with PHKO, PHNL, KMEM (really really bad - not friendly at all), KFLL, and KSFO.  Is this a communication bug between the applications?  Its not as severe with any other scenery that does not use Couatl. However, I still get pausing when flying into the likes of Flytampa with GSX active (perhaps loading in the GSX info).

Can we anticipate a better performance based update to this matter on this next release?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 09:39:12 am »
When are you releasing this update?

We cannot release any updates right now. There are big software updates coming out soon, and we redid our Live Update method, moved on a different server, and some required updates are not even dependent from us, but we are not a the liberty of discussing them right now.

Be sure the next GSX update will be very significant, because it will include lots of improvements that (due to the above reasons) we couldn't be able to release as immediate fixes now.

Also, I've noticed that when flying into FSDT / Flightbeam Scenery along with an active GSX, I get severe pauses as I approach the runway/field.  This is particularly bothersome with PHKO, PHNL, KMEM (really really bad - not friendly at all), KFLL, and KSFO.  Is this a communication bug between the applications? 

There's no bug whatsoever, it's just your system is overloaded by other application communicating with Simconnect.

Its not as severe with any other scenery that does not use Couatl

The "not as severe" comment seems to indicate you do SOME stuttering, in other sceneries too. There are several 3rd party addons that place a significant communication strain over Simconnect, with weather engines being the most demanding.

Couatl is JUST another Simconnect client, and it doesn't add much, and it surely doesn't add any strain, when GSX is not active but, of course, if the Simconnect communication channel is ALREADY clobbered with those other applications, adding one more might just be the straw that broke the camel back, as they say so, you can be easily mislead thinking Couatl is the cause, when it's not.

Another thing that can cause problems are exceptions, communication errors, and if you enable the Simconnect diagnostic mode, it's possible to check which addon is causing them and, all users that reported such issues and assumed they were caused by Couatl or GSX, in ALL case when we went down and did the actual troubleshooting, it always turned out the exceptions and errors were caused by other addons.

However, I still get pausing when flying into the likes of Flytampa with GSX active (perhaps loading in the GSX info).

The only thing GSX does when you are flying, is just checking which airport is the closest to you, so it's not really possible this would have any impact, since it's a very light request, and it's not even made constantly. But again, if you have other issue already, it's possible they might stall the communication with GSX, so you are again being mislead it might be a problem caused by it.

Can we anticipate a better performance based update to this matter on this next release?

Since there are no performance issues in the first place, it will be difficult to say if you will see any improvement, since this is clearly something that is happening on your system only.

I can only say that, if you would like to try a Teamviewer session, I might have a look at your system, and see what's really causing the pauses.

keino333

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 05:43:16 pm »
I can only say that, if you would like to try a Teamviewer session, I might have a look at your system, and see what's really causing the pauses.

Lets do that.  I just flew around Hawaii in the Alabeo  C404 and the Carenado B350i.  All was well landing into default Orbx but going into PHOG, PHLI I got long pauses on the approach up until I hit the tramac.  Always seems to happen  like this.. I send you the video I have (recording these instances
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:45:51 am by virtuali »