Author Topic: Serious problem with GSX  (Read 2787 times)

Phflies99

Serious problem with GSX
« on: April 10, 2017, 01:30:16 pm »
Dear fsdt-team,

a couple of days ago I bought GSX for my Prepar3D version 3.3 on your website. Before the purchase I had already installed the demo version of this add-on. According to your information, I had only to activate GSX via the Addon Manager ingame in order to use it properly. At first glance everything went fine; under the category "Add-ons" in my P3D I had Gsx, Couatl settings, Couatl live update, SODE 1.4.2 and the Addons Manager. The Gsx-menu worked perfectly and I could it open via the keycombination as well as via "Show GSX Menu by-passing YouControl".
The only thing I noticed is that sometimes I had to perform the key combination several times until the menu popped up.

Now my problem is: After I have landed the airplane at the arrival airport, there is no way to open the menu again. I tried to open it a thousand times, tried the "reset and rebuild airport cache"-function and waited up to 3 minutes in the hope it would still open.
But it didn´t work. One thing I´ve experienced on my last flight:
I landed, taxied and again I couldn´t open the menu. But as I finally stood at the gate with my plane (engines were still running) and desperately tried to open Gsx there came this message up: "[GSX] You need to stop the engines to request ground services". Apart from the fact that the comment doesn´t make sense (I cannot cut the engines everytime I request a Follow-Me car), it showed me that Gsx isn´t completely dead. I also could go to "settings" etc.
I would be very happy if someone had an idea or suggestion for me.
Many thanks in advance,
Philipp

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Serious problem with GSX
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:42:05 pm »
I landed, taxied and again I couldn´t open the menu. But as I finally stood at the gate with my plane (engines were still running) and desperately tried to open Gsx there came this message up: "[GSX] You need to stop the engines to request ground services".

Apart from the fact that the comment doesn´t make sense (I cannot cut the engines everytime I request a Follow-Me car), it showed me that Gsx isn´t completely dead. I also could go to "settings" etc.

First, GSX was entirely correct asking you to stop the engines and put parking brakes on because, as you said yourself, you were AT THE GATE. When you are OUTSIDE a parking, which is the case when you need to call the FollowMe, GSX won't obviously ask to stop the engines! The services you can call are of course different, depending if you are parked or not. The Follow me is one that can be only requested outside a parking.

And, as you probably already realized, GSX is not "completely dead". In fact, is working perfectly.

What is not working, instead, is your P3D installation, which is lacking support for the standard Simconnect menu, which is used by ALL 3rd party applications that need an in-game menu and, because GSX is one of them and maybe you don't have any other like that installer, you are being mislead this might have something to do with GSX, when it's not.

The reason why your P3D installation is missing the support for in-game menus, is because you updated to P3D 3.3 using the Client installer. There's a very well known bug in the Client installer, that doesn't include some updated files needed to support the new transparent in-game menu which was added in 3.3 so, NO 3rd party application (not just GSX, of course) with a menu will work. More precisely, they WILL work (GSX IS working), but they won't show any menu.

To fix this:

- Uninstall the P3D Client

- Download and install the P3D Content or the latest P3D Full Installer

- If you installed only the P3D Content, you'll have to reinstall the Client too. If, instead, you download the full installer, this is not required.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:21:27 pm by virtuali »

Phflies99

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 03:05:24 pm »
Hello Umberto,
first of all thanks a lot for your quick reply and sorry for my ignorance in terms of the mentioned message.
To make things clear:
I have never updated my P3D since I made a complete fresh and proper reinstallation with the assistance of a P3D-Forum member.
At the moment my simulator and all it´s addons (inter alia Active Sky 16 with its transparent ingame menu) run really stable and I am happy with it.
That´s why I would appreciate any other potential solution. Do you think reinstalling GSX makes sense or is there really nothing that can be done?
Hopefully,
Philipp

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 03:27:24 pm »
At the moment my simulator and all it´s addons (inter alia Active Sky 16 with its transparent ingame menu) run really stable and I am happy with it. That´s why I would appreciate any other potential solution. Do you think reinstalling GSX makes sense or is there really nothing that can be done?

I'm sorry, but if your report is accurate, and you see GSX asking for parking brakes when you press its hotkey, it clearly means GSX is working correctly, and the only possible explanation is that you haven't installed the Content or the Full installer correctly.

If another 3rd party application has a working transparent menu, that doesn't automatically mean you don't have this problem, but possible that other app is not using Simconnect to create one, so it won't be affected by this.

I don't think reinstalling GSX will change anything, unless you are installing an old version that didn't support P3D 3.3 to begin with (but in that case, it shouldn't work).

This reply, of course, is based by entirely trusting your report is accurate, which means:

- GSX asking for parking brakes when you press its hotkey, which clearly indicates GSX is working and has recognized the hotkey.

- Not seeing the menu when pressing the GSX default hotkey

- No other errors

Note that, it's also possible you DO have the menu, but you don't see it because you resized it, so you should size it again with the mouse.

Phflies99

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 03:53:24 pm »
Hello,
thanks again for your informative reply.
That is  what I was thinking and I also considered that the problem correlates with the "undocking"-feature in P3D.
The strange thing about the problem is, that at the beginning of a flight everything works fine. I made some test flights in that I started and landed at the same airport and I still could operate the menu. I think I will do some more flights and check every fifteen minutes if the menu can be opened.
When I have some more indications I will contact you.