Author Topic: Sim not found  (Read 2423 times)

kobijo128

Sim not found
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:50:51 am »
Hi,

Recently switched to FSX SE and when attempting to install GSX it asked me to browse for he sim directory, which I did, however it comes up saying no valid sim was found and I cannot install.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Sim not found
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 08:54:03 am »
This seems to indicate you switched in the wrong way, by not uninstalling FSX correctly before installing FSX:SE. The proper way to "switch" to FSX:SE is as follows:

- Uninstall FSX:SE

- Uninstall FSX

- Reinstall FSX:SE

- LAUNCH FSX:SE at least once, BEFORE installing any addons, in order to allow Steam to set the proper registry keys, which were originally set by the FSX DVD installer, and to set FSX:SE to run in "stand-alone" mode, which set entirely different registry keys compared to when it's running together with FSX.

That's why this is the only proper procedure to switch from FSX to FSX:SE

kobijo128

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:36:07 am »
Tried that, same issue I'm afraid.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 10:42:22 am »
Tried that, same issue I'm afraid.

I'm sorry, but it's not possible that, after doing that, the installer would still ask you to Browse the sim. That indicates the registry keys is missing, which can only happen if you haven't followed the previous procedure.

In addition to it, try to remove ALL the FSX registry keys (both the FSX:SE and the FSX ones), the reinstall FSX:SE (only) and LAUNCH IT AT LEAST ONCE. You are supposed to see a message from Steam saying it's configuring the sim.

Only then, the registry is correctly set to install any addons in the proper way.

Of course, I assume you are using the CURRENT version of the GSX installer, which supports FSX:SE. If you are using an old installer, one that it was made before FSX:SE was released, it will never work with it.