Author Topic: Stop GSX menu from automatically hiding after picking a menu item  (Read 3452 times)

WebMaximus

Is there any way to stop the GSX menu from automatically hiding after your picked a menu option?

Let's say I select catering service. Directly after I picked that option the GSX menu disappears and I then have to call it up again to ask for boarding.

I'm currently doing all my flying in VR using a pair of Oculus Rift glasses and it would make life easier if the menu would stay visible until I choose to close it myself.

If this can't be done in the current version here's me wishing this could be implemented in next version.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Stop GSX menu from automatically hiding after picking a menu item
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:19:41 am »
Is there any way to stop the GSX menu from automatically hiding after your picked a menu option?

There isn't, and most people will find annoying to have the GSX menu always opened. But the main point is, just calling it "the GSX menu" it's wrong...that's NOT the "GSX menu", it's the standard Simconnect in-game menu SHARED between ALL 3rd party apps that use Simconnect, like SODE, FS Passengers, etc.

There can be only ONE Simconnect menu opened at any given time, and if an application doesn't close it, the other menus won't appear until the first one the called it would finally release it.

So, having GSX taking control of the menu for an idefinite amount of time will be very wrong, because it would hijack the only menu available, causing all other addons to malfunction (you would try to press their hotkeys, and their menu will appear *after* you finally decided to close the one opened by GSX )

WebMaximus

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:12:46 pm »
After reading your reply you clearly misunderstood my request big time.

Obviously I'm not talking about having the GSX menu (or the built-in P3D menu used by GSX in this example) stay on the screen permanently hindering other add-ons from using the same menu interface. I don't even see why anyone in the first place would like to have a menu with the options GSX provides showing on their screen at other times than when they are actually using the options.

This is what I suggest:

1. Bring up the menu using the shortcut
2. Pick all options you're interested in
3. Close the menu using the same shortcut you used to open it (or add a 'Close window' option to the menu)

This is how it works today:

2. Pick the first option you're interested in
3. Bring up the menu using the shortcut
4. Pick the second option you're interested in
5. Bring up the menu using the shortcut
6. Pick the third option you're interested in

Now which method do you think is most annoying...?
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:58:21 am »
2. Pick all options you're interested in
3. Close the menu using the same shortcut you used to open it (or add a 'Close window' option to the menu)

Closing the menu using the same shortcut that opened it it's exactly how it works now. However, what you are suggesting is by default not possible with a Simconnect menu, which requires to close the menu to know which (ONE) option has been selected.

Yes, of course, we can hack the Simconnect menu to do something it wasn't designed to do and, in fact, we already did in the SODE Jetways selection menu. There, you can place checkbox to enable/disable multiple options at the same time.

Yes, of course, we MIGHT change the main GSX menu to be like this but, of course, there will be always someone will find it more annoying, and are those NOT interested in pre-selecting all the options in one go, but rather prefer using separate single options at different times, for example choosing just the Follow me at landing, then parking, then selecting deboarding, doing something else, and then call GSX for a single operation later on, like pushback.

As it's works now, it requires only 2 keypresses, one to open the menu, and another one to select the option which also automatically close the menu, saving one key press.

With your proposal, it would require 3 key presses: one to open the menu, one to select an option, and one to close the menu.

So, your suggestion would save key presses only to those that always select multiple operations, but it will increase the key presses needed for those selecting single services in the order they like or with the need to do something (loading fuel/payload with 3rd party airplanes) between GSX operations.

WebMaximus

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 03:45:31 pm »
In AS16 which I think uses the same built-in menu it won't close the menu after you picked an option and fact is the same is true for GSX when you for instance have to pick a gate that isn't listed on the first page.

What you say about how people uses GSX is of course true meaning for anyone who always will wait for one service to finish before asking for next service to start the current implementation is the preferred one since you won't have to close the menu yourself.

Maybe it's just me but I do prefer to be able to decide for myself when I'm done with a menu and I will then close it but I guess it's a personal matter what you prefer.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:47:20 pm by WebMaximus »
Richard Åsberg