Author Topic: Boarding ladder changes  (Read 3655 times)

Butch

Boarding ladder changes
« on: March 14, 2017, 12:28:54 am »
I'd like to know why the ladder changes when I reload this flight.
I also noticed that when I try to position the ladder to where it needs to be on this
aircraft (JF Connie - Stock P3d Aircraft) that the ladder will look different if I make
a slight adjustment in position to the aircraft exit door. Why is that?
I did peruse the GSX manual to see if I missed anything about gsx vehicle choices
and that topic was not covered. So why does GSX change the look of the boarding
ladder.
Anyone else have this problem? Three different looking ladders. And I didn't change anything.
I loaded the saved flight in P3d V3.4 (KMEM).

Thanks

https://s30.postimg.org/io4ehltw1/Connie.jpg

https://s13.postimg.org/qrvpbfhxz/connie2.jpg

https://s18.postimg.org/4pn36b3p5/connie1.jpg

I also wanted to add that when I hit the reset and all ground support equipment vanishes, I then call the GSX deboard passengers (option1) and
every time I do that a different looking ladder will appear. It's like a crap shoot getting the same ladder to show up.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:09:58 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Boarding ladder changes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:09:48 pm »
Anyone else have this problem? Three different looking ladders. And I didn't change anything.

Why you think this is a problem ? That's how GSX is suppsosed to work and it always worked: whenever there are multiple vehicles (all vehicles, not just the stairs) that are all SUITABLE for an airplane, the choice of the model is random.

With the parking customization editor, you can control the operator/livery of the vehicles, but the models themselves are chosen by GSX according to several parameters like extensions, height of the door, airplane weight, etc. If more than a model matches your airplane, the choice is random between all matching candidates.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:12:56 pm by virtuali »

Butch

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:47:47 pm »

Why you think this is a problem ?

Because it doesn't seem normal that's why... you seem so defensive?
I wanted to post actual pictures of what I experienced and wanted to know if anyone else experienced this,
and if this was normal or not.

With the parking customization editor, you can control the operator/livery of the vehicles, but the models themselves are chosen by GSX according to several parameters like extensions, height of the door, airplane weight, etc. If more than a model matches your airplane, the choice is random between all matching candidates.

I would think that the boarding ladder that comes up is what will appear each and every time. None of this "switching ladder models" or switcheroo of ladder models was mentioned in your manual.
I just wasn't expecting this type performance with the ladders switching models. But for the Stock JF Connie in P3D this may of cause GSX to react as you say.
Other Aircraft that I customize, the same model boarding ladder usually appears.  

I enjoy the GSX in KMEM that I just purchased the full version of GSX today. It is a good program, I give you your due on that.
I appreciated the reply and all the specific details as such. I just figured that that would of been explained in one of your manuals that this
would happen, ergo, I would not of posted that question. After I configure a specific aircraft with ladders and other ground support equipment, I would expecting more consistency of
equipment models whenever I execute the unboard/board passengers command.

You have yourself a duck day mate!!!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:10:32 pm by Butch »

Elmeon

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:32:34 am »
Not the same problem, but just a question: why now when I'm using a cargo plane, I get a tiny little metal ladder to board the crew and not the usual ladder like other planes?
Before the update I got the right one, now I get always the metal one. There's no whay to change this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 02:01:02 pm »
Because it doesn't seem normal that's why...

The issue is, why it doesn't seem normal ? Would you have preferred a single variant instead ? GSX always worked like that, for all its vehicles, there are many different Pushback models, many different Baggage cart trucks, etc. If several vehicle models are SUITABLE (placing an emphasis on it, which mean they are *all* proper for that airplane), not having all the same kind seemed to be an added value.

I wanted to post actual pictures of what I experienced and wanted to know if anyone else experienced this, and if this was normal or not.

It's normal, of course, but you called it "a problem" before hearing any explanation. The issue is, in the 4+ years since GSX was released (and it always worked like that), nobody ever complained about this, it never occurred that, having a variety of vehicles, would be seen as a problem by anyone.

I would think that the boarding ladder that comes up is what will appear each and every time. None of this "switching ladder models" or switcheroo of ladder models was mentioned in your manual.

See above. Nobody ever noticed it or complained about it so, we never thought that should have been explained explicitly. It IS explained a bit in the PaintKit manual.

Hint: even the Marshaller sometimes is a white guy, sometimes is a black guy. I really hope this is not a problem for you too...

Other Aircraft that I customize, the same model boarding ladder usually appears.  

That's because on other airplanes, there were less SUITABLE models, or possibly even just one, depending on the door's height. Suitable is really the key word here.

After I configure a specific aircraft with ladders and other ground support equipment, I would expecting more consistency of equipment models whenever I execute the unboard/board passengers command.

Your question might have been look better if you said something like:

"It would be nice if we could have the option to customize even the *model* of a vehicle, in addition to the operator, for each airport/parking"

And to that, I would replied that yes, something like that might be possible, to a point, but it would create a whole new sort of problems because, opposite to the livery, which are available for each vehicle variant, what happens if you customized a specific airport/parking should use only a specific kind of stairs (for example), and then you would go there with an airplane they couldn't use, because the doors were either too high or too low for that stairs ? Revering back to the random choice, so you would be even more confused the "wrong" vehicle would appear, instead of the one you chose ?

And what about the other vehicles ? If stairs could be customized, why not the Pushback truck or the Baggage cart truck ? And why leaving the marshaller out ? Or the model used by the Catering truck or the Passenger bus. Offering all these choices would make the parking customization so complex, that nobody will want to use it.

So, GSX selects several things randomly, but with parameters that drive the choice in order to be sure they are plausible, for the airplane configuration.

Speedbird ATC

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:29:32 am »
Not the same problem, but just a question: why now when I'm using a cargo plane, I get a tiny little metal ladder to board the crew and not the usual ladder like other planes?
Before the update I got the right one, now I get always the metal one. There's no whay to change this?
In the real world, ladders are normally used for cargo aircraft. Why would you want to be less realistic? Referring to the metal ladder as wrong, when in the real world it would normally be used is not helping your case either... However, I agree that there should be options in this regard, as plenty of airports simply use passenger stairs for cargo aircraft, maybe a bit of randomization. (Or as an added bonus, maybe add the option to make certain vehicles airport specific, or more common then others. For example, at Heathrows T5, most tugs are the large towbarless variety.) On the topic of the ladder: Is it possible to add a person pulling the ladder towards the plane? It looks a bit humorous to see the clearly unautomated unmanned ladder moving at its own devices...