Author Topic: Windows Vista and GSX 1.9.9.11 Menus not showing  (Read 5512 times)

PedroSMP

Windows Vista and GSX 1.9.9.11 Menus not showing
« on: March 09, 2017, 01:07:15 pm »
Virtuali,

I really like your GSX product for its universality, graphic qualities and interface potential in the dynamics between Simobject and the various supports and services of each airport.

Unfortunately, I can not get the new addon manager to run and the registration and update process completes because the Couatl and Addon Manager menus do not appear.

During installation everything runs fine, when starting FSX, the bglmanx.dll bug shows, and was sucessfully bypassed throught the dislocation of the dll.xml bglmanx.dll component to the FSX root directory and everything returns to the normal FSX startup.

The problem is when a flight is selected and loaded, the addons menu is empty of FSDT GSX menus (Addon Manager and Couatl).

I have scanned this forum and have found help and solution for the FSX start bug problem (bglmanx.dll), but not for the missing GSX menus, raised already is this forum.

In an attent to put away some hipotesis of conflict with the inumerous addons installed, I have also disabled ("True") all dll.xml and all exe.xml except the FSDT GSX related (inc. SODE), but the result is same (no GSX menus!).

I have tried both installs (full installer and full installer plus the stand alone addon manager), but the result is the same (no GSX menus!).

My rig is a ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 990x, GForce 970, 12gb, Windows Vista 64bit.

Some guidance and help will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Windows Vista and GSX 1.9.9.11 Menus not showing
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »
The current version of the Addon Manager doesn't work with Vista.

We are testing an update that should work, but I strongly suggest you to switch to a more modern OS (Vista is almost 11 years old today). The latest Office doesn't work anymore, and even Goggle/Gmail will stop support for it at the end of the year, so we cannot guaranteed compatibility for much longer.

PedroSMP

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 05:13:59 pm »
Virtuali,

Thank you for your quickly response, recomendation and information.

I will wait, although no rush in the rotation for a new rig.

All the best

Ranger

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:55:27 pm »
The current version of the Addon Manager doesn't work with Vista.

We are testing an update that should work, but I strongly suggest you to switch to a more modern OS (Vista is almost 11 years old today). The latest Office doesn't work anymore, and even Goggle/Gmail will stop support for it at the end of the year, so we cannot guaranteed compatibility for much longer.

Please provide a quick fix or guidance to go back to last update which worked with VISTA and THEN say you are not going to support it.  I am content with my current rig setup and if I can get FSDT products working again I will stop buying new ones which are not compatible to VISTA and not complain about newer updates.

I think we know how old our OS is.  Condemning us for it is not going to make me change this particular computer (1 of 5 with various Windows OS).

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 10:22:21 am »
Please provide a quick fix or guidance to go back to last update which worked with VISTA and THEN say you are not going to support it.  I am content with my current rig setup and if I can get FSDT products working again I will stop buying new ones which are not compatible to VISTA and not complain about newer updates.

There's no quick fix at the moment, but the next update should work again. We made a major rework of the software, which simply cannot be released as it is, right now.  I hope to be able to have something that can be tested before the end of the month.

But as I've said, we cannot guarantee that future updates after that one will still work on Windows so yes, if you stick with it, you will not able to buy any new products, and there's just nothing we could do about it.

I think we know how old our OS is.  Condemning us for it is not going to make me change this particular computer (1 of 5 with various Windows OS).

You are going to have far bigger issue with your PC than just not being able a couple of flight sim addons.

PedroSMP

Virtuali,

After some waiting(March2017) and regarding the issue of GSX 1.9.9.11 and later and Vista, could you please be so kind and inform me which GSX version should I try to test with Vista 64bit, thank you for your support.

My rig is a ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 990x, GForce 970, 12gb, Windows Vista 64bit.

PedroSMP

crauds

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 06:35:24 pm »
Hi Umberto!

The OP is not alone.  I also have VISTA 64 but fortunately did not upgrade to GSX 1.99.11 after seeing this post some time back.  My version of GSX (from Dec 2016) works fine with VISTA but has some bugs that have been fixed in your later upgrades.  I have no intention of upgrading my OS since I have tweaked my system to give me great performance as is with FSX and to upgrade, unfortunately in my case, would require purchasing new more powerful hardware plus the daunting task of having to reinstall software that may no longer even have working installers.

I have followed this thread and like the OP have been patiently waiting for the announcement of the promised upgrade that would still work with VISTA.  Surely there must be many others of us who also still use VISTA.  Please at least give us a progress report on the Mar 2017 promised upgrade.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:42:20 pm by crauds »
Craig Williams
I7 7700K OC to 4.8Ghz 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz SD RAM GTX1060 6GB LIQ Cooled Win10 Home 64

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 10:50:03 am »
I have followed this thread and like the OP have been patiently waiting for the announcement of the promised upgrade that would still work with VISTA.  Surely there must be many others of us who also still use VISTA.  Please at least give us a progress report on the Mar 2017 promised upgrade.

The large update we had in June SHOULD work on Vista but, of course, since Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft and by extension is no longer supported by us, we cannot test it or guarantee it would work on it so, you might just try it.

PedroSMP

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 09:17:26 pm »
Virtuali,

Sorry to request more information, but how can I download the aforementioned JUN2017 version of GSX, to try it out and report back here.
Is that the same version that is today (24JUL2017) available for download or another solution, could you please clarify, Thank you.
In the meanwhile I tried to install the present version of GSX (24JUL2017), but the problem remains exactly like in the begining of my post.
I will wait for some guidance concerning the access to the GSX june version.

All the best, thank you

PedroSMP

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 04:34:16 pm »
Thank you. In the meanwhile I tried to install the present version of GSX (24JUL2017), but the problem remains exactly like in the begining of my post. I will wait for some guidance concerning the access to the GSX june version.

I'm sorry but, I never said the June version would surely work. As I've said, we cannot test it under Vista and we won't test it under Vista so, I said it MIGHT work, because we removed a couple of Windows API calls that we *know* for sure they are not supported on Vista anymore and this is still the case for all subsequent versions so, if that's was the reason why the previous version didn't work on Vista, the current version should have worked too.

But again, since we cannot test it, there are apparently other issues, which we don't have the slightest idea what they might be, and we don't have any chance to test, since NOBODY at FSDT and not even one of our testers has Vista installed anymore.

Any sane person would have fleed from Vista as soon as Windows 7 was released (it was SO MUCH better...) so, I really cannot think why anybody would still want to use an officially unsupported OS now, 8 years after its successor was released.

I might understand someone being reluctant to get away from Windows 7, because it was a very good and reliable release but, wanting to stay on Vista, which was so bad that nearly bankrupted Microsoft in its day, is really something I don't understand.

So, too bad but, it seems the things we tried to change ( "in the blind" ) to get back Vista compatibility, weren't enough but, I'm sorry, we don't have any plans or the time and resources to further research into this.

If you don't get rid of Vista (but you will, sooner or later), I'm afraid you'll be stuck with the last GSX version that supported it, and you won't be able to use any newer product that will come from us.

But this wouldn't be the worse of your problems...using Vista you are exposing yourself to far larger issues than just losing the latest FSDT updates.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:37:52 pm by virtuali »

PedroSMP

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 05:08:52 pm »
Virtuali,

Thank you for your information and guidance, one again.
As your life costumer for GSX, can I make a proposal for a solution to my problem, if you find that acceptable of course?
For a future unsupported backward Dec2016 copy of GSX, by email?
Joke: I will promise to inscribe myself as a martyr of Windows Vista.

Thank you for care and all the best.

PedroSMP

PedroSMP

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 11:07:28 pm »
Virtuali,

Thank you for your patience and flexible support, I have received your email and I will try it out and report here the results for benefit of others.

All the best

PedroSMP

PedroSMP

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 02:20:48 am »
Virtuali,

Thank you for your support.
Your GSX version 1.99 works very well in Windows Vista 64bit, outstanding!!!
This issue is for me resolved, thank you again and again.

All the best

PedroSMP