Author Topic: FSX Acceleration Multiplayer Carrier Ops  (Read 66450 times)

Ifresh21

Re: FSX Acceleration Multiplayer Carrier Ops
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2009, 09:05:40 pm »
While that landing vid was nice- the rate of decent was WAY too high and the speed was high also.  Very hard landing   tho the approach did look uber nice and everything.

O yea also in real life the pilot would be able to see  the carrier deck a lot earlier

SUBS17

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 12:21:56 am »
Gotta be GameSpy :P.

I've tested my mission and it works for others.  Try connecting directly to the host via IP address.

I haven't tried putting people on the deck (or getting the LSO guy to shout as you suggested at FSDevelopers a long time ago :P).  I suppose I could try, it's just some object placement, right?  I just need some people models to place in that case :P.

I've tried hosting the mission in both MP and LAN and it stops after 30s.

SUBS17

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009, 12:24:12 am »
SUBS,

In regards to the ILS, try clicking on the "ILS" button located on your Up Front Panel.  From there enter in the ILS freq. (111.55) and hit "ENT".  After you have complete this, go to your right MFD that has your HSI shown and select the button next to ILS (TCN is highlighted by default).  This should bring your needles up on your HUD.  Please keep in mind that you will not be able to receive the ILS information if you are on the deck or in front of the carrier.  The needles usually appear shortly after the "abeam" position in the carrier pattern.  Hope this helps.

I pushed ILS on UFC and then 111.55 and enter on UFC and it switches back to OF52.

micro

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009, 05:48:04 am »
While that landing vid was nice- the rate of decent was WAY too high and the speed was high also.  Very hard landing   tho the approach did look uber nice and everything.

O yea also in real life the pilot would be able to see  the carrier deck a lot earlier

Good catch. You are correct, the rate of decent was high due to the fact that the carrier is stationary and the was no wind (we were testing the ILS). The speed was slightly high, but remember, the pilot flys the proper AOA, not a speed. You're shooting for 8.1 (+/- 1.0) degrees, so the plane was actually on speed most of the time (however the jet had full fuel tanks and was heavy). As for the pilot seeing the deck... you maybe correct, however IF the LSO sees the plane before decision height, that is good enough. The landing light on the jet is much brighter than the lights of the landing area. So when the weather is like that, the LSO usually sees the jet before the pilot sees the runway. This is where the "paddles contact" call comes into play. If the pilot gets to 270 ft and hears paddles contact, he can continue with LSO guidance. Therefore there maybe situations where the pilot never sees the deck until he hits it. How bout that for a rush?  :o

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 07:48:22 am »
microbrewst, thanks for that explanation.

Q: What would be an approximate maximum carrier landing weight for the Hornet please? TIA.

This is the Hornet forum I realise but for those wanting something a little easier to land there is a very good, with proper AoA indexer freeware T-45C Goshawk available. More info at:

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/

A smaller (6Mb version - in the Goshawk download) of this larger (31Mb) version available at FileFront "How to Deck Land the Goshawk and how to do it in general (very general)" PDF is available at:

http://files.filefront.com/T45USNtrainCarrierFSXVidspdf/;13281972;/fileinfo.html

I stopped work on a "How to Deck Land a Hornet" when the 'very excellent' video about the same topic was made available recently. However sometime soon I'll put online a very large and very general version of this "How to Deck Land" PDF which will include the Skyhawk, Goshawk and Hornet etc.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

micro

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2009, 07:57:32 am »
Don't quote me here, but if I remember correctly the "Max Trap" for the legacy Hornet is 34,000 lbs. I may be off by a few, but that should be close. So, with a "full bag 'o gas", you are most likely over max trap as was the case in the video (hence the hard landing).

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 08:49:05 am »
microbrewst, thanks. I'm guessing that a ball park rate of descent is about 800 feet per minute? However as you point out there are many variables.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 06:09:43 pm »
I pushed ILS on UFC and then 111.55 and enter on UFC and it switches back to OF52.

SUBS,

Where were you in relation to the carrier when you entered the freq?  Usually the system will switch to OFF if you either enter in the wrong freq, or if you are outside the operating envelope of the ILS system (not withing the azimuth and slope limitions of the system).  As you probably already know, the navigation system automatically coverts the VOR/ILS freqs. to it's equivalent TACAN freq. (thus the 52).  Make sure that "Y" is selected and not the "X" on the UFC after entering the freq.  This should happen automatically though.  Upon intial testing, I had similar problems, but then realized it was because I was either on the deck of the carrier, or outside of range or envelope of the ILS system.  The only other thing that I can think of is file location.   You might want to double check that you have placed the unzipped file in the Scenery/Global/scenery folder.  Hopefully this works...if not, we'll take other avenues.  Hope this helps.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

SUBS17

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 02:09:53 am »
I've tried Y band and entering behind the carrier it seems to me that this is quite unrealistic as I should be able to enter the freq at any distance or angle from the carrier IRL and it should stay on that freq. If it is switching over to the TACAN channel then perhaps the ILS freq should be changed to a TACAN cannel for the Carrier.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009, 02:39:50 am »
SUBS,

I am not saying that you need to be behind the carrier to enter the freq.  However, in order to see the needles, you need to be behind the boat (or at least the back half).  I usually pick the needles shortly after I am in the "abeam" position on the downwind, prior to the 180.  The navigation system on this bird, defaults to OFF when it doesn't receive a signal (i.e. out of the range for a VOR, TCN or out of ranges, glidepath, or azimuth for ILS).  To my knowledge, the navigation system on this hornet displays the TCN freq. on the UFC, regardless on whether a VOR, VORTAC or TAC freq. was entered.

As far as operations go with the ILS on this Multiplayer Carrier Mission, all you should have to do is
-Select the ILS button on the UFC
-Enter 111.55 on the number pad and press ENT
-Select ILS on the HSI

Assuming that you have done all this and the file was installed correctly, all you should have to do is take off from KSFO, head toward the carrier and start a normal carrier approach.  Once you are within range of the ILS system the nav radio should automatically detect the signal and switch from off to on and the needles should automatically pop up on your HUD.  That should be all that is required to make it work.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

SUBS17

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 06:04:55 am »
I found the problem it was in the wrong folder thanks for your help dude.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2009, 07:11:26 pm »
No problem man!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Orion

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009, 08:18:11 pm »
I'm going to assume that the mission is working if you can use the ILS to bring you to the carrier...

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2009, 12:45:03 am »
Well, I'm using the first mission that you posted last week.  Assuming that there is no changes in the carrier position from last week's mission, then the ILS should bring you right to the 3 wire.  Excellent job on the Multiplayer Carrier Mission BTW...

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

SUBS17

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2009, 01:20:18 am »
I'm going to assume that the mission is working if you can use the ILS to bring you to the carrier...

It stops working in MP after 20s because of gamespy eventhough I am the host so I am continuing in SP.