Author Topic: Script Engine Errors FINALLY solved.  (Read 2837 times)

DaveH

Script Engine Errors FINALLY solved.
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:02:08 pm »
If anyone is still having problems with this error (as I was) look at the PierreFSX post regarding deleting the fsx.cfg file and restarting FSX.  Worked GREAT  ::)

Thanks, PierreFSX.

Dave Hinson

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Script Engine Errors FINALLY solved.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:47:21 am »
Yes, of course it's solved. It was NEVER a GSX problem to begin with! Removing the FSX.CFG file will force FSX to create a new one, with all default settings. The real reason of this problem, is there are several defective installers from other products, that adds their own lines to the SimobjectsPaths lines in the FSX.CFG, and by doing this, they are probably corrupting the file, or mistakenly removing sections that MUST be present, by default.

What's affecting GSX, is the loss of the line that calls the Simobjects\Misc folder, which is supposed to be there in every FSX default installation, because it doesn't contain "just" GSX objects, but also many default library objects used by the default sceneries and missions.

If a 3rd party defective installer has removed or overwritten this line, you won't notice the missing default objects, although you'll see stuttering if you fly over an airport that needs them, but GSX will give you an error message so yes, I can see why you can be easily mislead thinking this is a "GSX error", when it's not. In fact, GSX is telling you have a problem that you might haven't noticed otherwise.

We could make the error message a bit more clear, but it won't change much, you would *still* get an error message because, with that line missing, there's no way the sim could create objects from that folder on request, you MUST fix the line.

So, if you know what you are doing, fixing the line should be easy, following the directions here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14184.msg104782.html#msg104782

If, you want an easier solution, removing the FSX.CFG file will work but, of course, if you previously installed another product that adds its own lines to the Simobjects folder, you'll have to reinstall it, hopefully the bug that caused the problem in the first place, won't happen again when starting from a clean FSX.CFG.

Just to be clear: none of our installer ever touches the SimobjectsPaths lines in the FSX.CFG file. The SODE installer (which we launch from GSX) does, but never heard of problems caused by it.

However, if your FSX.CFG file *already* an a problem,  for example because you edited it by hand and made some kind of error, it's possible that other 3rd party installers could be confused by this.

DaveH

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:53:38 pm »
I don't have GSX (yet).

Dave

DaveH

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 02:07:10 pm »

And never downloaded or installed GSX. 
And I forgot to mention the help that Umberto gave me also about the fsx.cfg file.  I missed it in his email.  Thanks, Umberto.  I should read posts and emails more carefully.  (I am a type A personality who speeds through things I should pay more attention to  :'().

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 02:24:20 pm »
And never downloaded or installed GSX.

That doesn't change anything, the problem is the same, I only referred to GSX in my explanation, because that's the product which is more commonly used, but it's exactly the same for every other FSDT scenery product, because they ALL install their objects in the Simobjects\Misc folder, which is a location that is supposed to be always available by default, unless the FSX.CFG file gets messed up.