Author Topic: FSX-SE taking longer to start with GSX installed **SOLVED**  (Read 12929 times)

Haw-Boo

Re: FSX-SE taking longer to start with GSX installed
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »
I don't think I mentioned, my entire FSX-SE install, software, drivers, and addons, are running on a SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch Basic SATA).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:19:08 pm by Haw-Boo »
(i7-6700k (4.6), GTX980Ti (SC+), Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 16GB Ram, SB ZXR, Win10 64-bit)

Haw-Boo

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 12:20:15 pm »
Hi.

I just double checked, and am afraid I cannot use Teamviewer due to legal reasons. But if you let me know the sort of things you would like to review, I can share that information with you via files, screenshots, and videos etc.

Regards.

David.
(i7-6700k (4.6), GTX980Ti (SC+), Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 16GB Ram, SB ZXR, Win10 64-bit)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 12:30:45 pm »
As you suggested I monitored things using Perfmon, and interestingly could see FSX.EXE go "not responding" shortly after I started it from steam and almost for the full duration of its start time.

That's not really much of a check. To really know what FSX is doing, and which files are being accessed (if file access is indeed the problem), you should use the monitor disk activity tab, and sort the column by read/write priority, so you can see which files takes longer to being accessed and which process is accessing them.

Haw-Boo

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 01:05:56 pm »
Hi.

With all due respect, I have been asking what you needed from me, and am blind without your guidance. I can only provide what you request, so the more details about what you want would be most welcome.

Please see attached screenshots, I hope this is what you are looking for? These were taken all while fsx.exe was "not responding" (in red).

Regards.

David.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 01:14:09 pm »
Please see attached screenshots, I hope this is what you are looking for? These were taken all while fsx.exe was "not responding" (in red).

Static screenshots are not very helpful, because I would have to look at the file monitor for the whole duration of the load. I'm sorry, but if you don't want to do a Teamviewer session for whatever reason, there's nothing else I can help you with other than what we already said.

I'm sorry, but if you have reasons to believe TM could be considered a security risk, that's far from it, because it's a product that is used in the Enterprise world quite a bit, and it's specifically designed for remote assistance.

- Nobody can connect to your system unless you start Teamviewer.

- The password changes *every* session so, it's not as if (even if you forget to quit from Teamviewer) that once you gave the password, someone could enter in your system again.

So, it's totally safe to use, and it's very well known and used in the corporate world so, there are really no reasons not to use it.

Haw-Boo

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 01:21:41 pm »
Hi.

Companies define business policies internally which dictate what can and cannot be made available, and what is deemed a risk to a company. So its not about the software itself, its what companies themselves wish to dictate.

I will message you privately, and lets see what we can see via TM. I will be responsible for this.

Regards.

David.

Haw-Boo

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 01:27:05 pm »
I have just installed TM 12.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 02:59:44 pm »
I have just installed TM 12.

For the benefit of everybody else that might have followed this thread, the Teamviewer session I had with Haw-Boo has been very useful, because it helped finding a new way to optimize the startup speed, by adding the biggest OrbX scenery folders to an internal exclusion list in the Addon Manager (Couatl already use it). I sent him an updated version to try, and his loading speed went from more than 1:30 minutes, down to 00:23 seconds!

We thought excluding such folders from the GSX airport cache regeneration was enough but, apparently, they are so many of them, that just checking the folder last modification date (to see if we *should* regenerate the cache) takes some time.

The updated Addon Manager .DLL files are online now, so everybody installing anything from FSDT (GSX, a scenery, the Stand-Alone Addon Manager) will get the update.

Haw-Boo

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 03:02:36 pm »
Just had a teamviewer session with Umberto from FSDT, this is the summary of that session:

Umberto setup windows 10 resource monitor so we could see the overview. Then by starting FSX-SE we could monitor CPU, and more importantly Disk usage.

It was within disk usage that we could see (as FSX-SE & GSX starts) heavy accessing of the ORBX scenery files, hence the delay being seen. Umberto tested this further by making the ORBX scenery inactive, and FSX-SE & GSX then started in roughly 20secs.

Umberto then went away with my scenery file and has produced a new version of bglmanx.dll, now with everything activated, FSX & GSX starts in roughly 20secs without the need of INI files etc.

Umberto has said this dll update would be released separately.

Great service & support :-)

Hans

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 04:26:33 pm »
Could this also be applied to other sceneries? (In my case the Aerosoft Mega Airport Amsterdam X package, since that is the only scenery that I have installed)? Or would that be impossible?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

havenman

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 06:08:44 pm »
Hi,

Been following this thread with interest. I have no OrbX scenery at all and also startup time of 2-3 minutes. I just saw a message by Haw-Boo about starting FSX-SE not from Steam but from the fsx.exe file directly. I don't see that post anymore. But that worked for me! Startup time back to normal.

Haw-Boo

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 06:17:30 pm »
Hi,

Been following this thread with interest. I have no OrbX scenery at all and also startup time of 2-3 minutes. I just saw a message by Haw-Boo about starting FSX-SE not from Steam but from the fsx.exe file directly. I don't see that post anymore. But that worked for me! Startup time back to normal.

Hi.

I am glad that worked for you.

I removed the post as it was not 100% connected with the issue I raised, but it certainly makes a difference. Actually I fly mainly using VR, so startup using FlyInside. I believe FlyInside calls fsx.exe directly, so you get the same performance using that also.

So just to word the original post:

Starting FSXSE via steam, it takes 1 minute.
Starting FSXSE via fsx.exe (outside steam), (for me) it takes 20 seconds.

This is also when using GSX with the new DLL mentioned in this thread.

Regards.

David.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 06:30:21 pm »

The "new" .DLL is already outdated...following this post, I made another fix to optimize loading under Steam, so installing anything from FSDT now, will get the updated .DLL.

Haw-Boo

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 06:33:24 pm »

The "new" .DLL is already outdated...following this post, I made another fix to optimize loading under Steam, so installing anything from FSDT now, will get the updated .DLL.

That's perfect, thanks very much Umberto :-)

Think I will do a uninstall and reinstall of the full package later, does not take long to do. That should grab the new dll also.

havenman

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 07:47:35 pm »
All OK again. Thanks Umberto, great job again! Start up time rund 30s both for FSX and FSX-Steam.