Author Topic: FSX-SE taking longer to start with GSX installed **SOLVED**  (Read 12928 times)

Haw-Boo

FSX-SE taking longer to start with GSX installed **SOLVED**
« on: February 06, 2017, 01:26:53 am »
Hi Folks.

I am a new GSX owner, so apologise if this turns out to be a stupid question.

Basically, is it normal for FSX-SE to start slower with GSX installed? From starting via steam to the initial FSX-SE menu, without GSX it takes 20secs, with GSX it takes 1min 30secs. Does this sound right?

I am working with the very latest of the full download of gsx_fsx_setup.exe, which I downloaded again today.

I have reviewed the documentation and also searched the internet, but could not find anything that reduces this timing. I have followed everything with regards to configuring AV (I am using Win10 Defender). I know this issue is connected with the "Addon Manager", as when I disable it via dll.xml fsx-se then boots in 20secs.

Once started FSX-SE and GSX all appears to work fine, this is just a question around startup times.

If this does not sound right, what might be a good place to start working out what wrong? Are there any log files that might help?

Regards

David.
(i7-6700k (4.6), GTX980Ti (SC+), Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 16GB Ram, SB ZXR, Win10 64-bit)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:06:46 pm by virtuali »
(i7-6700k (4.6), GTX980Ti (SC+), Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 16GB Ram, SB ZXR, Win10 64-bit)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX-SE taking longer to start with GSX installed
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 01:34:32 am »
Basically, is it normal for FSX-SE to start slower with GSX installed? From starting via steam to the initial FSX-SE menu, without GSX it takes 20secs, with GSX it takes 1min 30secs. Does this sound right?

Do you have a particularly large Scenery Library ? Especially one with thousands of small files or hundreds of folders ?

If yes, and if you know for sure a folder won't contain any airports, perhaps because it's a scenery mesh/landclass or other non-airport scenery, you can exclude it from being scanned at start, as explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12051.msg92104.html#msg92104

Haw-Boo

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 01:46:49 am »
Hi.

Thanks for your reply, that does look like it should apply to me.

When reading the topic it references an update for "Couatl 3 Public Beta" however the link does not work for me (An Error Has Occurred! The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.) and I do not appear to have the couatl.ini file (presumably only part of that release)?

Are you able to assist please, as I cannot download and install the mention software.

Regards.

David.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 01:58:35 am »
When reading the topic it references an update for "Couatl 3 Public Beta" however the link does not work for me (An Error Has Occurred! The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.)

That's because that setting was added starting with that version, which dated June 2015 so, it has been included with every normal release since then, but of course the Beta is no longer available or needed.

and I do not appear to have the couatl.ini file (presumably only part of that release)?

By default that file doesn't exists. It will be created if you enable Logging in the Troubleshooting section, or you can just create it yourself.

Haw-Boo

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 02:06:25 am »
Hi.

Ah ok, thanks. Sorry for being a newbie to GSX :-)

I will try this out tomorrow as I have to go offline now, will keep you posted.

Regards.

David.

Hans

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 10:44:40 am »
I'm not a newbie and I found the question very helpfull. Since the last GSX update my FSX:SE takes 2 minutes to load. Very annoying!

Would it help to start up the sim on a default airfield without large scenery files?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 10:51:38 am »
Since the last GSX update my FSX:SE takes 2 minutes to load. Very annoying!

I'm sorry, but nothing related to this has changed in this version. The Scenery Library must be checked for changes at each start, and it has been like this since GSX was released.

Hans

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 10:54:28 am »
Still, since the update FSX takes double the time to load I'm affraid. So there must be something different going on since there.

I understand it isn't supposed to happen but yet it does. GSX is the only thing that changed.

Haw-Boo

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 10:58:23 am »
Hi.

I am afraid this is not making any difference in start times for me.

I would like to check I am creating the ini file in the right location please. On my Win10 system %appdata% is "C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali", so I created "Couatl.ini" in there. As a start I then added as a test:

airportCacheExcludeArea=FTX_OLC
airportCacheExcludeArea=Scenery\Global
airportCacheExcludeArea=Scenery\Props
airportCacheExcludeArea=FTX_VECTOR

One thing I noticed is that FTX_OLC and FTX_VECTOR are under a ORBX folder, so I also tried:

airportCacheExcludeArea=ORBX\FTX_OLC
airportCacheExcludeArea=ORBX\FTX_VECTOR

Whilst testing this ini file addition, I have noticed my start time has become worse. Its now starting randomly between 1min 40sec and 2mins? Is there a way to know if the file is being used/accessed?

I also saw a message about bglmanx.dll failing, but I click yes I wanted it to load, and not seen that message again. But will keep an eye on that.

Also, something else I have noticed, again only with GSX installed. There is a extra delay when clicking the "change" button under "Current Aircraft" when setting up a Free Flight, the delay occurs between button press and the list of aircraft being shown. Also, there is a delay when selecting aircraft and the aircraft 3d model appears in the window and rotates (if you follow me). This only happens with GSX loaded, and the aircraft list and graphics settings in FSX and NVidia have not been changed.

Just to state again, the original problem occurs when starying FSX-SE from steam to the FSX-SE main menu screen - not to a pre-defined flight.

Regards.

David.

Haw-Boo

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 11:15:21 am »
I have just run some more tests, on average I am getting a slower speed 1min 40secs compared to yesterday. I have seen a couple of times it took 1min 45secs and 2mins, but its random. I am really not sure in the ini file is being used, or if I am using it correctly?

I quickly reviewed my system to see what else has changed (incl Win10, AV, NVidia etc) but nothing, and I have made no other changes to FSX other than installing GSX. This situation is repeatable by installing and uninstalling everything GSX, and (with GSX installed) if I disable Addon Manager via dll.xml I instantly get start a solid start time of 20 seconds.

Could you please let me know what else to try, or maybe there are some log files we could enable and review?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 11:26:01 am »
One thing I noticed is that FTX_OLC and FTX_VECTOR are under a ORBX folder, so I also tried:

airportCacheExcludeArea=ORBX\FTX_OLC
airportCacheExcludeArea=ORBX\FTX_VECTOR

As indicated in the linked post, the FTX_VECTOR area is already excluded automatically by the program even with no Couatl.ini file and, the path is not a problem, since the area will always be found as long it contains that name in its path.

Whilst testing this ini file addition, I have noticed my start time has become worse. Its now starting randomly between 1min 40sec and 2mins? Is there a way to know if the file is being used/accessed?

I'm sorry, but it the worse possible case, you would see little or no improvement, it's not possible the startup would be slower if you add some exclusion areas!

Yes, it's possible to see where the loading is slowing down, with the Windows Performance analyzer in the Task Manager. Have you configured Windows Defender to exclude the FSX folder from scanning ?

We had reports that, if you don't do that, the startup time will be increased a lot, see here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12051.msg92019.html#msg92019

And yes, it doesn't happen with GSX installed because, what is happening, is that Windows Defender has seen that some executable is reading files, so it CHECKS for each one of them to verify if THOSE files might be threats themselves, which can take a lot, if you have thousands of .BGL.

So, try to disable the whole FSX folder from scanning and, if you have sceneries installed in other folders outside FSX, add those folder to the antivirus exclusion.

Hans

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 11:28:02 am »
Good tip! I'll try later today!

Haw-Boo

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 11:40:08 am »
Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

Just to confirm, I already have Windows Defender ignoring all FSX key folders, plus for some other applications I use outside this hobby. So, the entire FSX folder is ignored.

With regards to my test results, I am literally reporting back what I see when testing GSX. I am a technical support engineer by trade, and know not to fiddle with other things in order to truly reflect result. I have checked everything on my system, and nothing else is changing other than GSX, but today I am seeing different slower results - on average 1min 40secs.

There is no change at all when I setup the ini file, and presume as you did not comment on its location and use I have it correctly setup. Would really like to know why this file makes no change on start times for me, maybe I am using it wrong? FYI: I used the settings found in the linked document provided, with and without specifying folders - makes no difference at all.

I am just doing another test now, uninstalling and reinstalling GSX. I will report back the results shortly.

Regards.

David.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 11:50:37 am »
I am just doing another test now, uninstalling and reinstalling GSX. I will report back the results shortly.

Please contact me in private to arrange a Teamviewer session, because it's the only way I could see what's the problem in your case.

Haw-Boo

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 12:07:45 pm »
Hi.

I have again uninstalled and reinstalled GSX and its components, ensuring to delete directories left behind etc.

As you suggested I monitored things using Perfmon, and interestingly could see FSX.EXE go "not responding" shortly after I started it from steam and almost for the full duration of its start time. CPU usage for FSX.EXE averaged 12. I could see activity on the CPU and memory, if I then switch to view logical processors we can see CPU 2 is cpu bound (or as I say badly flat-lining :-) ). All other values for memory, HDD's are fine. Again, this only occurs with GSX installed. Without GSX, its 20sec loading time.

With regards to Teamviewer, I don't want to sound difficult, but i don't think legally I can do that due to the nature of my job. But I will double check. (company data etc)

Regards.

David.