Author Topic: Trolleys arriving from other terminals  (Read 2302 times)

Rongor

Trolleys arriving from other terminals
« on: January 21, 2017, 04:09:53 pm »
Hi there.
I am in my second week of using GSX and enjoying it so far.

Yet there are 3 issues leaving me curious. One of these is I noticed that baggage trolleys seem to travel some distances across airports. Although my aircraft being parked at a jetway finger, they never arrive from a nearby spot, instead they always appear coming around some distant corner several hundred meters away, driving across the aprons. After loading, they also vacate to some unknown but obviously distant location. I would have expected them to appear at a nearby baggage handling facility inside the current terminal I am parking at, maybe coming out the (virtual) exit beneath my current or one of the adjacent fingers. Then I would also expect them to traverse close to the building perimeters, not all across the service routes way out on the apron.
Especially seeing them coming from literally many hundreds of meters distance looks pretty odd. I doubt there is only a single baggage handling facility in a major airport, at least not on those I have visited in real life.

Thank you!
Rongor

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Trolleys arriving from other terminals
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 04:20:37 pm »
The FSX airport standard doesn't support anything like a "baggage handling facility" location and, even if it did, we doubt it would ever work with 3rd party sceneries, when some developers even forgot to add things like vehicle path lanes...

So, the only thing GSX can do, in order to not unrealistically have such vehicles pop-out in front of you, when they are supposed (exactly) to come from "somewhere" in the terminal, they start on the nearest parking of the "Vehicle" type, which is obviously the most logical choice.

If you use a 3rd party scenery the original developer forgot to place *any* parking of the "Vehicle" kind, or if the nearest parking is too far, GSX will make them start from a random parking which is reasonably close, but not too close that you would see the vehicle pop-out in front of you, precisely for the reason you mentioned, they should come from away, but not too far away.

So, it seems that GSX is doing exactly what you are expecting...

Rongor

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »
Yeah, well maybe it is not doing what I expected, but now I understand why it is doing so. Thank you!

L-1011

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 05:58:41 pm »
You can update GSX for give a max distance of starting for trolleys, fuel and catering?
Sometimes they start very away from aircraft!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:32:00 am »
You can update GSX for give a max distance of starting for trolleys, fuel and catering? Sometimes they start very away from aircraft!

It's already like this, of course. As I've said in my previous reply, it will try to use a Parking of the "Vehicle" type, if available. If not, because the scenery developer haven't placed any, it will use a standard random parking, which is not too close by not too far from your own position.

Of course, depending on the airport, the next "not too close" parking might be far away, and the nearby parkings are instead too close, it will result in vehicles arriving from farther away than usual. But that's not the only issue, it depends also how those parking are connected to the airport layout.

So, as always, it depends how realistically and accurately the AFCAD of original scenery has been made. If it's made correctly, it should have several Parkings of the "Vehicle" type, not spaced too far apart, and with proper apron Paths of the "Vehicle" type, in order to allow vehicles to arrive without too much effort, and without interfering with AI airplanes.

Which, basically, is exactly how a real airport is designed...even the real-world GSX vehicle counterparts would have trouble reaching the airplane, if the real airport was badly designed.