Author Topic: Trouble installing GSX with FSX **SOLVED**  (Read 3925 times)

rsandweiss

Trouble installing GSX with FSX **SOLVED**
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:49:24 pm »
Hello,

My son has been playing FSX and loves it.  He is using FSX Steam edition V 10.0.62615.0.

He is trying to install GSX, but he doesn't know how to install add-ons. When he tried to install GSX, and he loads FSX, it does not have an add-on menu and GSX doesn't work with control plus F12, so it is not loaded.  I hope this makes sense to someone - I don't quite understand it. My son is telling me what to write :)

We are not running the coutal engine or the add on manager. Should we be running these?  Because there is no add on drop-down menu when he logs onto FSX.... Also, if we should be running them, where do you find them to run them?

Is anyone able to offer some suggestions?  Thank you so much, and I hope this posting is appropriate. I apologize since I am very new to this. Thank you!

Sincerely, Rachel
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:30:08 pm by virtuali »

Monty1

Re: Trouble installing GSX with FSX
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 06:04:41 pm »
Hello,

My son has been playing FSX and loves it.  He is using FSX Steam edition V 10.0.62615.0.

He is trying to install GSX, but he doesn't know how to install add-ons. When he tried to install GSX, and he loads FSX, it does not have an add-on menu and GSX doesn't work with control plus F12, so it is not loaded.  I hope this makes sense to someone - I don't quite understand it. My son is telling me what to write :)

We are not running the coutal engine or the add on manager. Should we be running these?  Because there is no add on drop-down menu when he logs onto FSX.... Also, if we should be running them, where do you find them to run them?

Is anyone able to offer some suggestions?  Thank you so much, and I hope this posting is appropriate. I apologize since I am very new to this. Thank you!

Sincerely, Rachel

Yes.

Go here http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_gsx.html and download the Stand Alone Manager at the bottom of the page and install
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:06:44 pm by Monty1 »
Windows 7 Home 64bit
Crucial 525GB MX300 2.5-inch SSD
2TB Master Hard Drive
Intel Core i7 4+4 Core 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB L3 CACHE - ThermalTake Contac29 Cooler
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready Graphics - FSX - GSX - FS Cabin Crew - ASN SP5

rsandweiss

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 08:43:29 pm »
Thank you so much, Monty1!  Once we install the Stand Alone Manager, do we open FSX and it should show the add-ons? 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »

If you installed the GSX installer, there's nothing else you need to install, because it comes with everything required to run, including the Addon Manager and the Couatl engine. You only need to be sure you use the most current version of the installer, which supports FSX:SE

If you don't have the menus when FSX starts, the most common case is the antivirus blocking it, so you should first try reinstalling with the antivirus disabled and, before starting FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the FSX folder from scanning.

If this doesn't fix it, the other most likely issue, is that your FSX:SE registry keys are missing/corrupted, most likely because you removed FSX after installing FSX:SE without reinstalling FSX:SE.

See this reply here, which explains how the registry keys are supposed to be when the sim is installed properly:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14166.msg104727.html#msg104727

rsandweiss

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 01:14:23 am »
Hi Umberto,

Thank you. The installation of the Stand Alone Manager (other user recommendation) didn't help.  We don't think it is the antivirus because it installed without warnings.  But when my son installed GSX, when it asked which sim he was using and he clicked FSX, it said "This product will be installed under    ".  (nothing was there - it was blank).  So he installed it by moving the FSX folder to the desktop and by clicking "Browse Sim" and selecting the folder. Also, he is new to add-ons so do you need to run anything with FSX to get GSX to work? Also there is no drop down add on menue... how could we get one? Is this saying that GSX is not installed correctly? He does not know how to run the add on manager or where to find it. Does he need to run something with fsx?

Does this make sense, and what are your suggestions? Thank you!

Rachel
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:19:55 am by rsandweiss »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 11:56:46 am »
So he installed it by moving the FSX folder to the desktop and by clicking "Browse Sim" and selecting the folder.

NOOOOOOOO!!!! ( imagine this to be uttered like Luke Skywalker, when he discovers Dart Vader is his father... ).

This has totally ruined the FSX installation. You just can't "move" applications like this, when a program is installed, its location is written in the registry, but if you move it, the registry won't match the installation, and nothing will basically work anymore, you'll have countless of issues for all addons, which all must rely on the registry to find the sim.

First, you should immediately put back FSX where it was. And, as I've said in my previous message, be sure to check the registry, as explained in this post, and verify is correct for your FSX:SE installation:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14166.msg104727.html#msg104727

But I now think that, if you don't have many other addons installed, it might just be easier to remove FSX:SE altogether, then reinstall it from Steam, and launch it at least once, so it can set up itself correctly, before reinstalling GSX:

rsandweiss

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 06:39:51 pm »
Umberto, The Force is strong with you... THANK YOU.  :)  (we loved you Luke Skywalker impersonation!)

We made a big mistake with moving the application. We will try to "remove FSX:SE altogether, then reinstall it from Steam, and launch it at least once, so it can set up itself correctly, before reinstalling GSX."  And then check the registry to make sure. We will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Rachel

rsandweiss

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 05:04:53 am »
That worked!!  Thank you for the invaluable help.....