Author Topic: airport customization broken since last update?  (Read 6573 times)

woozie

airport customization broken since last update?
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:23:39 am »
Hi there

two strange things happening here since the most recent couatl live update:

1. It kept nagging me to download the live update, even though i did already (3 times actually). Installer seemed to complete successfully (went through all stages and no error) but live update notification keeps popping up everytime i restart P3d (v4, Hotfix2). Also tried to uninstall and re-install using the latest GSX full installer, but issue persists. Same goes for standalone addon manager install.

2. Since the update, the parking spot customization window is empty. I can see the list of parking spots on the left hand side, but all detail settings are blank and unticked. I tried with both, airports with a user customization file and airports without. All the same.
For pushback i only get the 'straight pushback, manual stop' option. The user customization folder under appdata\roaming\virtuali is existing and i can see all the user ini files in there for my addon airports.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks
Lars
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:54:25 am by woozie »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: airport customization broken since last update?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:15:50 am »
I just tried it now, and no, the Live Update works normally, and it stops notifying of an update after doing it once. From what you are seeing, it looks like your airport cache has a problem, try to "Restart and Rebuild airport cache" option from the Couatl menu.

woozie

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:37:09 am »
Hi Umberto, thanks for your reply

I tried the "restart couatl and rebuild airport cache" option several times as i was suspecting a broken airport cache as well, but no luck. It even reported a successful cache rebuild.

Is there anything else i could do to ensure a clean GSX reinstall apart from removing it via 'programs and features'? As i seem to be the only one with this issue i'm wondering if anything got messed up with my GSX install, even after a re-install.

Or did you get any other reports about parking spot customization broken?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 10:48:07 am »
Or did you get any other reports about parking spot customization broken?

No other reports. Maybe you have some kind of access problem to your %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder ? Like an antivirus blocking it ? In that case, the program will be both unable to write anything there, included the preferences about the Live Update (the last time it was updated), which would explain both why you cannot customize anything, and you are constantly prompted to update.

Have you tried after a Windows restart ?

woozie

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 10:58:33 am »
yes, windows restart was part of my troubleshooting process.

Interesting point with the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder. Even though i didnt change anything on my system in the last few days (apart from the couatl live update) its still worth to check. Will do once i'm at home tonight.

Whats really strange is that all the customization options are blank (even things like default pushback labels, radius, wingspan) So its not only that i cant customize the settings per se, it doesnt even show the default settings that will be applied with every airport (like pushback labels).

As a next step i guess i'll backup my appdata\virtuali and programdata\virtuali folders, delete them and perform a clean reinstall again.

Whats your suggested procedure to perform a fresh GSX reinstall? remove GSX, addon manager and couatl all together? If possible i dont want to reinstall my FSDT aiports

C130

• "With your eyes turned skywards...."
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 01:22:54 pm »
Hi there

two strange things happening here since the most recent couatl live update:

1. It kept nagging me to download the live update, even though i did already (3 times actually). Installer seemed to complete successfully (went through all stages and no error) but live update notification keeps popping up everytime i restart P3d (v4, Hotfix2). Also tried to uninstall and re-install using the latest GSX full installer, but issue persists. Same goes for standalone addon manager install.

2. Since the update, the parking spot customization window is empty. I can see the list of parking spots on the left hand side, but all detail settings are blank and unticked. I tried with both, airports with a user customization file and airports without. All the same.
For pushback i only get the 'straight pushback, manual stop' option. The user customization folder under appdata\roaming\virtuali is existing and i can see all the user ini files in there for my addon airports.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks
Lars

I get these exact same problems!

There cant just be two of us with this?

Also get this;-
couatl v3.1 (build 3577)
panic log started on Fri Jan 06 12:35:36 2017

problem raised by addon <unknown>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "couatl\common\fsm.py", line 73, in executeDoFuncToCompletion
  File "couatl\GSX\assistanceServices\__init__.py", line 1450, in do
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
{'Airport': 'EGHI', 'Requested assistance services at': 'Gate 7', 'User Pos': (50.95040130605799, -1.3601173159045574, 15.8583 m, 2.4473 m, 289.499973898781)}

And here;-

couatl v3.1 (build 3577)
panic log started on Fri Jan 06 13:35:56 2017

problem raised by addon <unknown>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "couatl\common\fsm.py", line 73, in executeDoFuncToCompletion
  File "couatl\GSX\assistanceServices\__init__.py", line 1450, in do
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
{'Airport': 'EGFF', 'Requested assistance services at': 'Gate 15', 'User Pos': (51.39989104558925, -3.3426936865944015, 69.4279 m, 2.37193 m, 296.6043391877917)}

I have reinstalled GSX and the Add On manager.

Same results. I can not set any positions in the customise GSX menu.

This happened after I elected to re install the Update?  

But surely after re installing GSX it should work as before?

Please see I have attached the latest Error Log as a Zip.

Regards
David
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:15:04 pm by C130 »
"Suspension of Disbelief". Flight Simulators! My You Tube Channel is "David Herky".

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 06:04:16 pm »
Some users are reporting issues with FSUIPC, GSX and the latest P3D with Hotfix update...

By reading all threads to the conclusion, almost everybody concluded the crashes in P3D were related to FSUIPC, with just *one* user that posted both on Avsim and Flightsim, saying it *might* be related to GSX only.

In any case, as explained so many times here, since GSX runs entirely externally from P3D, it cannot crash the sim. The worse it can happen, is that Couatl.exe itself might crash, but this will not be enough to crash P3D, since an external .EXE cannot crash it.

Not that these crashes have anything to do with the previous posts of this thread.

The problems here are surely something wrong with GSX, but they didn't obviously caused a crash so, please, try to not post something entirely unrelated to the thread, because it will make it very confusing for everyone. Do YOU have the crash described in the forums you linked ? If yes, please open a new thread with the proper subject.

The thread is about the airport customization page being blank.

woozie

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 06:43:52 pm »
quick update:

I did a full un-install, including removal of addon manager and couatl. Then i renamed both virtuali folders in appdata and programdata to get them recreated during install. I also made sure that there is no GSX/couatl folder in my P3D mainfolder.  Then i ran the full GSX installer (downloaded yesterday) as admin with antivirus disabled -> still the same issue, parking customization empty

I did the whole uninstall procedure again and installed an older GSX installer i still had on my disk, with signature timestamp of December 15th, 19:04:36. Not sure if thats was one of the betas or the first release version of the refueling update. Everything was back to normal and my customization screen was working again.

Hope that helps to get to the bottom of the issue

Let me know if you need any logfiles, i still have a backup of my old virtuali folders in appdata and programdata

EDIT: I just noticed that there was another live update yesterday evening, after 10pm. Thats about 30 minutes after i stopped troubleshooting. So all my testing was with the Jan 3rd update. I just downloaded the Jan 5th update to see if that has the same issue and my customization page is blank again. Looks like this bug has been introduced with the Jan 3rd update already
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:05:46 pm by woozie »

C130

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 06:53:23 pm »
I concur that my issue is with GSX having blank customisation pages.

P3d V3.4 HF 2 remains stable. I use FSUIPC.DLL version 3.999z9b, but I doubt this has anything to do with GSX.

May I state again that the issue only appeared after the latest GSX "Live Update".

Also when used with MCE the functionality has changed. I can no longer get a De Ice and a push back. Also no MCE directional push back since (I assume) GSX has no push back direction parameters to refer to?

Also, obviously I can no longer set the position of the airport vehicles, since the fields in the customisation pages are blank.

Additionally every airport position is now classed as too small since the aircraft wingspan in the customisation page is blank.

Thanks for your consideration.

David
"Suspension of Disbelief". Flight Simulators! My You Tube Channel is "David Herky".

C130

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 07:23:05 pm »
quick update:

I did a full un-install, including removal of addon manager and couatl. Then i renamed both virtuali folders in appdata and programdata to get them recreated during install. I also made sure that there is no GSX/couatl folder in my P3D mainfolder.  Then i ran the full GSX installer (downloaded yesterday) as admin with antivirus disabled -> still the same issue, parking customization empty

I did the whole uninstall procedure again and installed an older GSX installer i still had on my disk, with signature timestamp of December 15th, 19:04:36. Not sure if thats was one of the betas or the first release version of the refueling update. Everything was back to normal and my customization screen was working again.

Hope that helps to get to the bottom of the issue

Let me know if you need any logfiles, i still have a backup of my old virtuali folders in appdata and programdata

EDIT: I just noticed that there was another live update yesterday evening, after 10pm. Thats about 30 minutes after i stopped troubleshooting. So all my testing was with the Jan 3rd update. I just downloaded the Jan 5th update to see if that has the same issue and my customization page is blank again. Looks like this bug has been introduced with the Jan 3rd update already

I did the same.

But my older installer downloaded the newest files and installed them, so it still remained the same....No Joy!

But there must be something in what you did if you got GSX going again. Well Done!

woozie

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 07:37:03 pm »
I did the same.

But my older installer downloaded the newest files and installed them, so it still remained the same....No Joy!

But there must be something in what you did if you got GSX going again. Well Done!

Strange, maybe thats because my installer was the beta version, so it might have downloaded the beta files instead of the most recent ones. If i remember correctly, the official refueling update was released around 20th of december, while my installer is from the 15th.

Unfortunately, the link to the beta seem to be no longer available. Perhaps Umberto can provide you the download link again. Would be interesting to see if that "fixes" the issue for you as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:40:34 pm by woozie »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 07:55:12 pm »
Found the issue. As you might know, we run two mirrored servers for the Live Update, for obvious reliability issues, and the one used when updating is chosen randomly when the updater starts.

Sometimes, this enhanced reliability bites us back, because I just found a single file on one of the two servers wasn't uploaded correctly, so you got a 50% chance to get the "bad" file.

Which explains why, not everyone had the issue, and I couldn't replicate it when testing it (I got "lucky", getting the good file)

It's now fixed so, if you check for updates now and run the Live Update, you should get the good file in any case.

woozie

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 07:58:24 pm »
Found the issue. As you might know, we run two mirrored servers for the Live Update, for obvious reliability issues, and the one used when updating is chosen randomly when the updater starts.

Sometimes, this enhanced reliability bites us back, because I just found a single file on one of the two servers wasn't uploaded correctly, so you got a 50% chance to get the "bad" file.

Which explains why, not everyone had the issue, and I couldn't replicate it when testing it (I got "lucky", getting the good file)

It's now fixed so, if you check for updates now and run the Live Update, you should get the good file in any case.

thanks Umberto, great support!

Damn, that means i was always on the wrong side of the 50% :D will re-download again and report back in a few minutes

C130

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 08:02:30 pm »

Many thanks. I too was on the wrong side of the 50% :o

All is back to normal again after another download.

Cheers!

David