Author Topic: GSX Update error  (Read 2933 times)

wrxsnowman

GSX Update error
« on: December 21, 2016, 10:20:04 am »
I've been looking up and down the forums, and maybe I've missed it. However, I can't get the new update to install. I get this error right at the end of the install. I've tried disabling my antivirus and firewall. I double checked my permissions etc. I'm not sure what the cause of this error is.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Update error
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 10:25:22 am »
That's surely your antivirus, which is mistakenly blocking the installer. Try to exclude the whole FSX folder from scanning, and reinstall after a WIndows restart.

wrxsnowman

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 10:42:43 am »
That's what I was thinking. I have excluded my whole P3D folder, etc! I also disabled my antivirus. I just installed GSX a few days ago, maybe a week ago. This update is acting different

Thanks for the quick reply!

Also, I'm using Bitdefender if that matters

wrxsnowman

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 10:51:00 am »
So, I think I figured it out! In Bitdefender there is a section under Protection Modules called Ransomware Protectioon. Somehow my P3D and other applications were set to be "protected" This was causing a block on anything I tried to install. Good FYI for all of you using Bitdefender.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 10:59:11 am »
That's what I was thinking. I have excluded my whole P3D folder, etc! I also disabled my antivirus. I just installed GSX a few days ago, maybe a week ago. This update is acting different

The installer is exactly the same as the previous one.

The one acting differently is your antivirus, maybe because the installer is "new", so your antivirus is not trusting it, based on some flawed heuristic that assume that a new file doesn't have enough "reputation" to be considered trusted, even if we digitally sign all our executables, and we add a specific standard digital signature (called Taggant) to PREVENT antivirus to catch false positives.

I can only confirm the problem doesn't happen: I've just ran the installer now, and it worked normally with no errors.