Author Topic: Issues with getting GSX to load correctly.  (Read 2089 times)

PhoenixAF24

Issues with getting GSX to load correctly.
« on: November 24, 2016, 04:57:04 pm »
Before I get flamed for not reading the forum, I've spent the better part of 48 hrs reading and trying multiple options presented.

So on to the crux of the issue.  A few days ago, I got prompted that Couatl kept asking to be restarted (I still have the couatl logs).  As a result of reading the forums, I uninstalled GSX and Couatl (including the Add-on Manager).  I downloaded the full installer from the FSDT website, ran it and nothing showed up in the menu bar for add-on manager.
FSX doesn't ask me to trust anything about Couatl and/or AddOn Manager.

Reading through some of the posts, I have done the following:
1) Enabled the Simconnect Verbose logger - NO GO.  Doesn't show any error message
2) Deleted the FSX Config to allow it to rebuild from scratch - NO GO.  I get prompted on all my other modules (FSTramp, FSPassengers, PMDG etc...)
3) Deleted the 10.0 Registry entry under FSX:SE to ensure that there was only the one entry (per Umberto's recommendation).  NO GO.

The only anti-virus that I have running is MS Security Essentials which is the same I had back when I installed GSX the first time.

Any other help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Issues with getting GSX to load correctly.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 09:53:11 am »
FSX doesn't ask me to trust anything about Couatl and/or AddOn Manager.

This is not an automatic indication that something is wrong. You are not supposed to be re-asked for trusting a module if your previously installed version is the same.

To have FSX "forget" what you trusted, you MUST reply YES to the questions about removing the Addon Manager and Couatl the uninstaller does at the end. Only if you did that while uninstalling, and you don't see a Trust request made after a reinstall, you should start to worry about problems.

1) Enabled the Simconnect Verbose logger - NO GO.  Doesn't show any error message

That doesn't mean much. In verbose/normal mode, you should also see messages saying the Addon Manager and Couatl are being  loaded. If you don't see neither errors or loading confirmations, it means the sim is not even TRYING to load the modules, which leads to believe you DO have a registry problem, so the wrong XML file is being used.

3) Deleted the 10.0 Registry entry under FSX:SE to ensure that there was only the one entry (per Umberto's recommendation).  NO GO.

That might not be enough.

Fact you HAD a wrong registry key you removed, already indicates your configuration is wrong, which is usually caused by defective installers (or wrong suggestions by developers who didn't care to support ALL the different FSX:SE modes of operations, so they told you to duplicate the FSX registry keys, which is wrong), but in addition to that, you must also check in which mode of operation FSX:SE is working, which has an effect on which XML file is used.

If your Co-existence key is set to 0, FSX:SE runs in "FSX mode", which is the correct mode of operations if you only have FSX:SE installed and no FSX. The 10.0 Registry entry under FSX:SE must NOT be present in this case.

If your Co-existence key is set to 1, FSX:SE runs in "Dual mode", which is the correct mode of operations if you only have both FSX and FSX:SE installed. The 10.0 Registry entry under FSX:SE must point to the FSX:SE folder, and the The 10.0 Registry entry under FSX must point to the FSX

AFTER you fix all your registry keys, you MUST reinstall GSX.

PhoenixAF24

Re: Issues with getting GSX to load correctly.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 07:12:20 pm »
Ciao Umberto,

To have FSX "forget" what you trusted, you MUST reply YES to the questions about removing the Addon Manager and Couatl the uninstaller does at the end. Only if you did that while uninstalling, and you don't see a Trust request made after a reinstall, you should start to worry about problems.

Last night, I actually went ahead and uninstalled all of my dreamteam products so that I can start fresh from scratch.  I know that is a bit drastic, but this way it ensures that all Addon Manager and Couatl entries are gone  ;)

That might not be enough.

Fact you HAD a wrong registry key you removed, already indicates your configuration is wrong, which is usually caused by defective installers (or wrong suggestions by developers who didn't care to support ALL the different FSX:SE modes of operations, so they told you to duplicate the FSX registry keys, which is wrong), but in addition to that, you must also check in which mode of operation FSX:SE is working, which has an effect on which XML file is used.

If your Co-existence key is set to 0, FSX:SE runs in "FSX mode", which is the correct mode of operations if you only have FSX:SE installed and no FSX. The 10.0 Registry entry under FSX:SE must NOT be present in this case.

If your Co-existence key is set to 1, FSX:SE runs in "Dual mode", which is the correct mode of operations if you only have both FSX and FSX:SE installed. The 10.0 Registry entry under FSX:SE must point to the FSX:SE folder, and the The 10.0 Registry entry under FSX must point to the FSX

Actually, I used to have FSX Boxed installed on my system when I first got FSX:SE.  I thought I had removed all traces of FSX Boxed but apparently didn't as my Co-Existence key was set to 1.  This has now been corrected.

I have successfully reinstalled the newest version of GSX and will add a comment when I get them done.  Thank you so much Umberto for your great product and patience with your user base!