Author Topic: GSX Issue  (Read 2676 times)

stephen1888

GSX Issue
« on: November 10, 2016, 05:42:12 pm »
Hi
I've had GSX installed and working on FSX SE for ages now with no issues.
I was at FSDT KSFO last night loading up PMDG 773, GSX was working fine, then bang a warning came up from GSX saying something had happened, it wouldn't let me continue with the flight.
I reloaded FSX, initially trying the same scenario and then changing to different airports and aircraft, same results.
I have now uninstalled and am trying to reinstall but geting these messages when trying an failing to install.

Se Up
Internal error:an attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized

When I then click ok I get:

Error
You must enter a full path with drive letter:for example
C:APP
or a UNC path in the form
\\server\share

Same error messages when i try to intall addon manager..... KFFO, KLAX, CYVR and PHNL not working either as Addon Manager is not installed

As i say all was working great and this happened out the blue

Can you help?
Stephen
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:46:00 am by stephen1888 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 11:02:32 am »
It's not possible that anything you reported happened "out of the blue", since the program surely doesn't modify itself, we haven't updated it in a while (except a very small Addon Manager update just to support the latest P3D hotfix, which doesn't install automatically)

And, whenever you report a problem with GSX, please be totally accurate, because "GSX saying something had happened" is not very helpful to understand what really happened.

Whatever happened, happened to some configuration changes in your system and, assuming you ARE using ALL the CURRENT version of the installers to reinstall, the most likely cause for such errors, seems to be issues with your FSX registry keys: if they gone corrupt/missing/changed/pointing to the wrong folder, you can expect EVERY kind of issues, since everything, from the installer, to the program itself, relies on such keys to know where to look for the program, the scenery library, the running mode (FSX, FSX:SE, P3D, etc.).

stephen1888

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 12:58:07 pm »
I put"something happened" because i didn't get the chance to screenprint beforere it closed down.
Everything else is working except FSDT products i have as listed which i now can't reload despite using the latest installers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 05:47:16 pm »
I put"something happened" because i didn't get the chance to screenprint beforere it closed down.

Then it wasn't a GSX error, but rather an generic FSX crash, since a GSX error should have arrived with a message prompting to open the Notepad too see the error, giving all the time you needed to look at it, and should have created an Couatl.ERR file in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder. Do you have such file ?

Everything else is working except FSDT products i have as listed which i now can't reload despite using the latest installers

Since the latest installers don't obviously cause such errors you report to anybody else, the only possible explanation is that you have some issue with your system, and the fact "everything else" is working, is purely coincidental, only an indication that you still haven't used any function on the other products you installed that was affected by it, not that there's no problem.

Of course, I'm assuming you are running the installers from a folder you have normal permission to start. For example, they won't start from a network location, and this also nothing that has anything to do with them, but it's a limitation of Windows signed executables which cannot run from shared folders, I'm assuming there's no other program interfering with the installers, like an antivirus, and I'm assuming you have full permissions over your system, including the temporary folder, which is also required by the installers.

As you can see, there are plenty of things that might have gone wrong with your system that can affect an installer, so even if "everything else is working", doesn't say much.

Have you tried to simply restart Windows ?

stephen1888

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:58:59 pm »
At no time have i said or insinuated that this has been caused by GSX or it's installers, I am/was simply pointing out that after deleting it i now can't reinstall it!!

Can you help was my question, not your software has caused this and i want my money back.

I have a basic understanding of my system and how FSX works etc. but i'm no export in registery keys etc whereas you obviously are, although i have the basic knowledge to turn off Windows and on again to see if it works by doing that. In other words, I don't know how to, and son't have the knowledge to do what you're suggesting.

GSX is a HUGE part of my flightsim enjoyment level, the programme is a fantastic addon, hence the reason i'm now contemplating removing every addon and FSX to reinstall and try to get it going again.

I have tons of addons and this is a nightmare scenario for me. Please take that as a compliment to your programme that i will consider such drastic action to get it working again.