Author Topic: GSX FSX:SE  (Read 4094 times)

aceshigh3008

GSX FSX:SE
« on: October 08, 2016, 10:14:06 pm »
Hi guys,

I just made the move to FSX:SE. I installed GSX whixh did work when i used the original fsx, but now it doesnt. I have no GSX menu in the add on manager and CTRL-F12 doesnt work.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX FSX:SE
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 07:34:23 pm »
The most likely cause is:

- You installed FSX:SE when FSX was installed.

- You (or another addon installer not fully compatible with FSX:SE) changed the FSX registry to point to the FSX:SE folder, which is WRONG, on a Dual FSX:SE+FSX installation

- You then removed FSX

So now, you registry is (wrongly) configured for a dual install, but there's no FSX anymore, so you registry must be fixed to be the correct one, for a proper SINGLE FSX:SE installation with no FSX.

See this reply here, which explains how the registry keys are supposed to be when the sim is installed properly:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14166.msg104727.html#msg104727

aceshigh3008

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 12:58:21 pm »
Hi.

See I had GSX on original FSX, then my pc crashed and removed everything. I used this oppurtunity to upgrade to FSX SE. I do not have FSX on my pc

portanav

• Retired (BWIA-Caribbean Airlines)
    • My Boeing B738NG Sim Build.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 06:52:00 pm »
Hi guys,

I just made the move to FSX:SE. I installed GSX which did work when i used the original fsx, but now it doesnt. I have no GSX menu in the add on manager and CTRL-F12 doesnt work.

Thanks
I have FSX:SE  with GSX installed, and it works perfectly.

I see no reason it should not, as FSX:SE file structure is the same as FSX. However you must properly uninstall FSX and clean up any folders and files remaining from FSX, that includes the registry as well; as Umberto suggest. I used "CClean" to clean up the registry.

If you had FSX before, I suggest cleaning up thoroughly first and try installing FSX:SE again with GSX.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:54:00 pm by portanav »
regards, MICHAEL.

System: Win10/64, I7/6400, GTX 1080, P3Dv5.2, Prosim737 v2.31, Prosim Flt. Model B738

kevinh

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 11:56:28 pm »
I have the same problem. The FSX and FSX-SE registries entries are exactly as you say they should be.  Yet still GSX will not install properly. I'm sure the registry is correctly set up as I am able to install legacy FSX addons with no problem as they see FSX-SE as being FSX.

During GSX installation there is an error message:

"ERROR when creating patched vehicles_airport, restoring from backup now!"

If I click OK, the installer continues, but reports a lot of python files are not installed. I can open add-on manager and that shows GSX is installed and active, but I have no FSX menu and the Ctrl+F12 shortcut does not work.

Kevin

edit

I checked DLL.xml and exe.xml. DLL.xml has no entries for couatl or GSX. exe.xml has an entry to start couatl.exe

I had last installed GSX under FSX. Since uninstalling FSX and switching to FSX-SE I had not reinstalled GSX until now. Also I have upgraded CPU, graphics card and motherboard. The product appeared to activate OK during installation (there were messages about contacting the esellerate server).

Edit 2:

I eventually got GSX working successfully by using the following steps:

1. Deactivate GSX licence from Addon Manager window
2. Uninstall GSX, addon manager, couatl
3. Download latest GSX installer from FSDT website
4. Installed GSX
5. Load FSX and activated GSX licence
6. Exit and restart FSX

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:11:55 am by kevinh »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:27:35 am »
I have the same problem. The FSX and FSX-SE registries entries are exactly as you say they should be.  Yet still GSX will not install properly.

But you must have the *current* version of the installer!

I'm sure the registry is correctly set up as I am able to install legacy FSX addons with no problem as they see FSX-SE as being FSX.

That's precisely because they ARE legacy so, they only thing they know is the FSX registry key, so they are unaffected by a messed up FSX:SE registry, which is something they don't even know.

Since GSX is a *proper* FSX:SE+FSX product, it must support:

- FSX Stand-alone

- FSX:SE stand-Alone

- FSX + FSX:SE installed together

That's why it requires the registry entries are correct for any given situation, which they usually are, if nobody touches anything.

Unfortunately, it seems that someone out there is suggesting to screw up your FSX:SE registry keys that way in order to let you install FSX-specific product, by simply have the FSX key pointing to it, and this is wrong, because even if it would work with a "legacy" product that only knows about FSX, it will of course confuse the GSX installer, which needs to recognize every different case.

When the FSX key points to FSX:SE, indicating an FSX:SE stand-alone install, the other keys must be changed accordingly: the FSX:SE key shouldn't exists, and the Co-existence key MUST be 0, assuming you really got rid of FSX.

I eventually got GSX working successfully by using the following steps:

1. Deactivate GSX licence from Addon Manager window
2. Uninstall GSX, addon manager, couatl
3. Download latest GSX installer from FSDT website
4. Installed GSX
5. Load FSX and activated GSX licence
6. Exit and restart FSX

None of these steps was required, except #3, the "Download latest GSX installer from FSDT website".

Nothing related to the license every happens while installing. You can uninstall/reinstall an unlimited amount of times, and nothing will happen to the license activation, unless you also upgrade hardware or reinstall Windows from scratch in the process.