Author Topic: GSX no longer working **SOLVED**  (Read 3621 times)

tobz787

GSX no longer working **SOLVED**
« on: October 09, 2016, 11:15:34 pm »
Hi,

This week my GSX running on FSX:SE has stopped working suddenly and I cannot get it to work again. I have read lots of the posts on this forum, run everything as administrator and checked my antivirus settings but it won't work for me when I've tried to reinstall it several times.

I moved from FSX which I originally had the product on, to FSX:SE 4 months ago and I installed it then with no issues using the installer on your website again. However, last week I had a problem with another program on my simulator which meant I had to delete the Dll.xml and Exe.xml files within FSX:SE so that new files were generated which fixed the issue with another program. I did that last Sunday but since Wednesday, GSX stopped appearing along with the add on manager and I can't get it to work again through reinstalling. Even though I uninstalled FSX, there is still a few files left in the folder although it seemed to be fine when I installed GSX straight after downloading FSX:SE 4 months ago and FSX wasn't uninstalled.

Is there anything that I can do to get GSX working again for me?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 12:52:48 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX no longer working
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 11:17:19 pm »
See the post just below yours: maybe you have the same problem with wrong registry keys:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14426.msg106201.html#msg106201

tobz787

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 12:24:07 am »
Ok thanks, I will look into it and let you know.

tobz787

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 09:28:51 pm »
Hi,

I have tried to reinstall it again tonight (with anti-virus off still) and I have double checked that FSX is no longer installed which it isn't but GSX keeps trying to install itself in the normal FSX folder rather than the FSX:SE folder. I am presuming this an issue with registry and that it needs to be installed in the FSX:SE folder looking at what the posts that you have linked suggest but I am not sure quite whether I need to do anything with the REGEDIT utility if this is the issue. If so, what should I move or delete within REGEDIT as I have never used it before for anything.

Thanks again for your help with this.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 09:36:23 am »
If so, what should I move or delete within REGEDIT as I have never used it before for anything.

The correct situation with ONLY FSX:SE installed is to have the FSX:SE\10.0 key REMOVED:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0  ONLY the "10.0" should be removed!

And the FSX registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Pointing to the FSX:SE installation folder. This is a CORRECT registry for an FSX:SE installed with no FSX

And, be sure the "Co-existence" key in the FSX:SE registry folder, is set to 0.

AFTER you fix your registry, reinstall GSX.

tobz787

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 07:56:53 pm »
Hi,

I have followed all your instructions here carefully using REGEDIT and reinstalled without antivirus but nothing seems to have happened with GSX and it still isn't working although it seemed to install more slowly and thoroughly than it was with the other registry. All that has happened that I can see is that FSX seems to have tried to move lots of my old sceneries over to FSX:SE resulting in it taking much longer to load with lots of error messages and also having to give permission for other add-on's to be used, although not GSX. Is there any chance that it could be down to a problem which doesn't involve the registry?

Thanks again for your help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 09:30:36 pm »
All that has happened that I can see is that FSX seems to have tried to move lots of my old sceneries over to FSX:SE

Haven't you said you uninstalled FSX, and you only have FSX:SE now ? The instructions I gave you were to fix the registry in this situation, so now you said FSX is moving sceneries ?

Maybe you wanted to say that FSX:SE is now *reading* the previous scenery.cfg which was previously used by FSX, so the sceneries you had in your previous FSX installation are now become visible in FSX:SE.

If this is the case, it's exactly what it's supposed to be happening. If it's not what you want, you can restore the FSX:SE Scenery Library as it was before changing the registry, by copying this file:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE\Scenery.cfg

to here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.cfg

tobz787

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 09:42:54 pm »
Hi,

Just to let you know after I replied earlier, GSX is now working properly so the registry must have worked eventually!

Thanks for your help with this.