Author Topic: Add on manager.  (Read 3549 times)

jimble

Add on manager.
« on: July 21, 2016, 03:25:40 am »
Hi, having a great deal of trouble with latest update. Firstly, it says that you don't have to quit FSX do install updatee but it minimized the sim to the task bar, and i couldn't recover it...it just kept making a 'bung bung' sound. I used task manager to get out of the sim, but when i went back in GSX had stopped working, and all my controller settings were deleted and set to default. I uninstalled GSX and reinstalled it which got it working, but again, all my controller settings were reset to default..also whenever i leave the sim, it now says FSX has stopped working which is no big deal as i am leaving anyway...just curious as to why it's doing it. (FMGS.DLL is the culprit)
  Thanks for any help with all this.

blacquesjacques

Re: Add on manager.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:39:36 am »
I am having a similar problem; with the update says I need new version of add on manager; but says error when I try to install the new add on manager; says to turn my anti virus off, but when I do still can not complete download/install of new add on manager and so now I can not run FS X!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 01:35:20 pm »
Hi, having a great deal of trouble with latest update. Firstly, it says that you don't have to quit FSX do install update

This is not what it should say, and in fact, it's not what the other user below says it's happening:

with the update says I need new version of add on manager

The latest update (in fact, the last 3 updates) requires exiting from the sim, and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager.

but it minimized the sim to the task bar, and i couldn't recover it...it just kept making a 'bung bung' sound. I used task manager to get out of the sim, but when i went back in GSX had stopped working, and all my controller settings were deleted and set to default. I uninstalled GSX and reinstalled it which got it working, but again, all my controller settings were reset to default..also whenever i leave the sim, it now says FSX has stopped working which is no big deal as i am leaving anyway...just curious as to why it's doing it. (FMGS.DLL is the culprit)

FMGS.DLL doesn't have anything to do with FSDT. The sound you were hearing was probably caused by some kind of addon that didn't reacted well to FSX minimization, so that probably caused the loss of the control settings. That cannot be caused by any of our installers, since they surely won't touch your controls.xml file.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 01:37:09 pm »
I am having a similar problem; with the update says I need new version of add on manager; but says error when I try to install the new add on manager; says to turn my anti virus off, but when I do still can not complete download/install of new add on manager and so now I can not run FS X!

Your problem doesn't seem to have anything in common with the one the OP reported. This looks more like a bug of your antivirus so, when the installer says that, it means it!

- Download and install with the antivirus ENTIRELY DISABLED

- Before launching FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the whole FSX folder from scanning.

Be sure you are NOT running TWO antivirus at the same time, like Windows Defender + 3rd party software.

blacquesjacques

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 10:48:49 pm »
No you are wrong; the message that pops up that says you need to download new add-on manager is while you are in the sim-it never says  that MS FS X needs to be off . I tried downloading the add-on manager again (with Windows Defender on not off), and with MS FS X off and it worked. So it had nothing to do with my anti-virus; it was because it did not tell you to turn off MS FS X before trying to download the new add-on manager!

It works (for) now, thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 12:17:58 pm »
No you are wrong; the message that pops up that says you need to download new add-on manager is while you are in the sim-it never says  that MS FS X needs to be off .

That's not the case. You are confusing two messages:

1) There's a first message, which is the Live Update notification, that will be different depending if we published a Minor Update or a Major Update.

If we publish a Major Update (like in this case), the message WILL tell you to EXIT from the sim and download and install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager. If we publish a Minor Update, it will NOT tell you to download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, and will tell you the update can be installed without exiting from the sim.

Since we published this update as a Major Update, you should have seen this message, which prompted to EXIT from the sim.

2) There's ANOTHER message, that is NOT the Live Update notification, but an additional check that is being made (in case you ignored the Live Update or disabled it) which checks if you have the latest Addon Manager, which will just tell you to download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, starting the browser to the download page.

In this case, it's true that it doesn't say anything about quitting the sim so, we'll update the web page accordingly, so it will be more clear.

it was because it did not tell you to turn off MS FS X before trying to download the new add-on manager!

I said that because the antivirus is by far the most common case of that problem.  Most users know that, in order to install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, you must exit from the sim, so it never occurred to me that someone would try to do that but yes, it's another possible cause for that message.