Author Topic: FellowMe is crazy again  (Read 4170 times)

mroschk

FellowMe is crazy again
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:10:29 am »
Hi,

today i land in EDDM ( original Aerosoft Scenery ) and the FellowMe goes the way how in the attached Pictures.
But this time i was not to near and not to far.

Also EDDM is not the only Airport the FellowMe is doing such crazy Things like making
very hard turns or it turns first left, then right. Also it nearly never drives on the yellow line.

I remember the time GSX was Born...at this time the FellowMe was not doing such Things.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FellowMe is crazy again
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 12:14:38 pm »
Nothing has changed in the Follow Me pathfinding since GSX has been released. It always use the only thing it can use: the nodes in the scenery AFCAD, trying to use the shortest path possible.

So, that path has been calculated as the shortest one, based on the scenery AFCAD. It's possible that, due to some developers add unnecessary nodes (which FSX doesn't use anyway) to the AFCAD, the shortest path might not what you would expect to be the most logical one.

And, if there are two nodes too close together, the Follow Me cannot calculate a "smooth" path between them, for example when two nodes are closer than the length of the Follow Me car itself.

mroschk

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 09:16:43 pm »
Hello,

sorry for the late answer, i have to work too much at the Moment :-(

So, it is a original Aerosoft Scenery, so maybe anyone can check that and try to call the Fellowme from the same Position?
Other idea was maybe to check the loigic ( i think a A* one ) how GSX finds the path. Maybe there is potential to optimice the path?
I am using P3D v3.3, maybe the Problem can be there ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 11:49:38 pm »
Other idea was maybe to check the loigic ( i think a A* one ) how GSX finds the path. Maybe there is potential to optimice the path?

GSX obviously uses A*, and it's of course totally "optimized". But that's just the START of what it does, because that algorithm it's only useful to calculate the shortest path along a graph, but it doesn't say anything about how the vehicle will DRIVE over the nodes. In order to do that, a second step is to create a series of bezier curves between the nodes, so the vehicle can drive around smoothly, instead of abruptly touching all the waypoints.

In some cases, when there are nodes too close together, which usually happen on 3rd party sceneries made with unnecessarily complex nodes layouts (no, they are not any more "realistic", because FSX won't follow them precisely anyway so, it's best to have less nodes, not more), it might not be possible to mathematically solve a bezier curve, since the car shouldn't obviously turn over itself (the distance between the front and the rear wheels must be considered), so the path chosen might seem strange, but just because it was the only one that could be calculated on that network of nodes.

I am using P3D v3.3, maybe the Problem can be there ?

The problem it's the scenery, as I've said. Too many nodes close together, so they are thrown away because they are not mathematically solvable.

I'm fairly sure it doesn't happen on any default airport.