Author Topic: [Win 10] [FSX-SE] Installer causes Bluescreen?  (Read 3118 times)

SuReLLi

[Win 10] [FSX-SE] Installer causes Bluescreen?
« on: July 14, 2016, 07:48:57 pm »
Hey,
today I bought GSX and I tried installing it (even over Network from another PC, which was in the same LAN), it always caused me a bluescreen (Machine_check_error) while downloading the "bglmanx.dll".

The thing is it only happens with the GSX Installer, till this date I never had this Error.

I cleaned my Registry files and I dont really know what I can do next.

My English is not the best, but i tried^^

Anyone had a similar Problem and when yes , how did you solve it?

Best regards,
Baris
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:05:23 pm by SuReLLi »

SuReLLi

Re: [Win 10] Installer causes Bluescreen?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 08:12:04 pm »
My PC Specs:

Intel i7 - 5700HQ CPU @2.7 GHz - 3,6 GHz

8 GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 970M

---------------------------------

Something to add, I have FSX-SE installed on my SSD, could it have something to do with it?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:04:59 pm by SuReLLi »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: [Win 10] [FSX-SE] Installer causes Bluescreen?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 10:24:07 am »
today I bought GSX and I tried installing it (even over Network from another PC, which was in the same LAN), it always caused me a bluescreen (Machine_check_error) while downloading the "bglmanx.dll".

First, it's best if you DO NOT run the installer from a network drive. Always run it from a real drive.

In any case, an installer CANNOT, not even in theory, cause a blue-screen. Only programs with a special low-level access to your system that runs as as system service (or a driver) can do that, and an installer is not one of them.

The ONLY program that could have caused this, which seems to be confirmed by the fact you say it happened when downloading a .DLL, is a VERY defective and bugged antivirus, that somewhat crashed when trying to scan an executable that was being downloaded and caused the blue-screen. An antivirus, which always runs with special privileges as a system service, CAN cause a blue screen.

That's why we keep saying to DISABLE the antivirus when downloading and installing any of our products.

SuReLLi

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 10:50:53 am »
Hey virtuali,

thank you so much.

After I deactivated Windows Defender & Firewall it worked^^.

In any case, an installer CANNOT, not even in theory, cause a blue-screen.

I know that, but it was really suspicious, because it only happened with this installer^^.

Best regards,
Baris  ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:56:11 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 10:56:22 am »
After I deactivated Windows Defender & Firewall it worked^^.

Strange, because it works fine here with both enabled...

I know that, but it was really suspicious, because it only happened with this installer^^.

Not all installers downloads executables, and even when they do, not all executables are mistakenly flagged as dangerous by the antivirus.

In fact, there was a known bug in Windows Defender some weeks ago, which resulted in blocking an entirely class of files digitally signed in a certain way ( to *prevent* false positives, go figure...) but as far as I know, it has been fixed in the current version. I'm referring to the Windows 10 version, not sure if it applies to every version, or if it was fixed in every version.