Author Topic: Can't run GSX **SOLVED**  (Read 7489 times)

zucco05

Can't run GSX **SOLVED**
« on: July 12, 2016, 11:48:35 am »
Hi
Few months ago, I downloaded GSX and I used it in Demo mode. for technical problems i had to remove it. Yesterday i tried to reinstall GSX and it didn't work. I switched off my antivirus ( Avast) during the download and installation. When I start FSX it asks me if I want to give permission to Add-on manager but it doesn't asks me anything  about Couatl. I don't know what happened between april and now. I've already looked around you forum but I can't find my mistake.
sorry for my bad english hope you'll help me cus i love your addon and i want to use it as well as other form FSDT

bye Nicolò
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:34:20 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can't run GSX
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 01:40:26 pm »
I switched off my antivirus ( Avast) during the download and installation.

Avast is confirmed to be defective and mistakenly blocks Couatl because of a false positive bug, see here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14019.msg103760.html#msg103760

As explained in all threads about the antivirus, it's not enough to just disable it when installing. You must also exclude the Couatl.exe from scanning or, even better, the whole Sim folder from scanning, which will of course increase performances and loading times too.

zucco05

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 02:08:12 pm »
ok thanks  I'll try

zucco05

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 08:11:17 am »
It doesn't work anyway, I've tried uninstalling avast disabling windows defender and excluding FSX folder from scanning but Couatl engine doesn't run ( I'm not trying to run it, it doesn't work in FSX)
the wired thing is that in april I cloud use GSX but now I don't know why it doesn't work.
Does anyone know where I am wrong ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:12:59 am »
It doesn't work anyway, I've tried uninstalling avast disabling windows defender and excluding FSX folder from scanning but Couatl engine doesn't run ( I'm not trying to run it, it doesn't work in FSX)

You are running TWO antivirus together (Avast + Defender) ? That's a sure recipe for trouble and performances loss. In any case, be sure both antivirus are disabled when installing, and then do all the following:

- Go into Control Panel, Uninstall GSX and reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl script engine ?"

- TURN YOUR ANTIVIRUS OFF.

With the antivirus still disabled, reinstall GSX. Use the latest full GSX installer on our site.

- BEFORE launching FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

- Now you can turn your Antivirus on, and launch FSX

- Note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs, reply YES to both. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS.

- When FSX loads, check if you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered products" under the "Addons" menu.

zucco05

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 04:55:47 pm »
When I try to open windows defender it says that another antivirus is running so I think it can't give me any issue.
I've done at least 4 times what you said. But I'm not sure about my antivirus cus I disabled the 3 "tools" that avast uses ( file scanning ecc I'm not Sure about the translation cus I'm running it in Italian.)
That's the only issue I have because I have excluded form scanning FSX:SE directory so this as you said to me should solve the problem with Couatl engine and apparently it doesn't
As I already said, GSX worked well ( the April's version) but now I don't know what's going on because I didn't changed anything.
Hope you'll help me
Nicolò

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 11:05:41 pm »
That's the only issue I have because I have excluded form scanning FSX:SE directory so this as you said to me should solve the problem with Couatl engine and apparently it doesn't

As I've said, just excluding the FSX folder from scanning it's not enough. You must DISABLE the antivirus when installing it and THEN configure it as explained, before launching FSX.

I've done at least 4 times what you said.

But you still haven't said about this:

- Note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs, reply YES to both. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS.

Have you paid attention to this ?

zucco05

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 01:56:10 pm »
I've disabled the antivirus while installing, I've excluded the FSX folder from scanning and FSX doesn't asks me any permission for running Couatl it just asks me about addon manager.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 04:22:15 pm »
I've disabled the antivirus while installing, I've excluded the FSX folder from scanning and FSX doesn't asks me any permission for running Couatl it just asks me about addon manager.

Then it's likely a problem with the antivirus still interfering. If it was a problem like missing libraries or a corrupted Simconnect, both programs won't start, because they both require the same VC++ libraries and the same Simconnect.

Another possible reason is your EXE.XML file (which is what launched Couatl.exe) being corrupted, so it will be ignored by the sim on start. You can test this by trying to start Couatl.exe manually after FSX starts. If it works, then it's likely a problem with the EXE.XML file.

zucco05

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 05:38:14 pm »
I started FSX up and I tried to run Couatl engine while I was playing but nothing happened.
I think it's an Avast issue, but I don't know where the problem is

zucco05

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 06:48:38 pm »
I've just tried to reinstall GSX and while installing it says : Python support file..... ( lots of files) was not installed
could this be a problem ?

zucco05

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 07:10:48 pm »
FINALLY I managed to use GSX I had to change the Couatl compatibility. for windows 7 instead of 8
thanks a lot for your support
I'm going to buy it in a few minutes after some tests
nicolò

zucco05

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 07:42:04 pm »
there is another problem....
I have to start Coautl manually how can I fix the problem ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 12:50:46 pm »
FINALLY I managed to use GSX I had to change the Couatl compatibility. for windows 7 instead of 8

You should turn off EVERY compatibility.

I have to start Coautl manually how can I fix the problem ?

Do you see a request to start it ? If yes, check this thread:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,4067.msg87905.html#msg87905

zucco05

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 10:08:11 pm »
Hi, with the last Couatl engine update everything works as it should.
thankyou