Author Topic: Frustrations with GSX/KIAH After SODE "Upgrade"  (Read 4232 times)

DFWSupertrooper

Frustrations with GSX/KIAH After SODE "Upgrade"
« on: June 25, 2016, 06:47:36 pm »
Overall, you guys have ALWAYS had the most AWESOME products out there for FSX, and I absolutely appreciate what you guys do!!  I LOVE KIAH the most since it's my home airport - waited for it for YEARS!!  It worked flawlessly for me prior to the SODE update but nothing but issues since.  I've had to reinstall GSX, KIAH, KMEM, and Addon Manager repeatedly since the "upgrade" to fix one or more various glitches with jetways, scenery changes, missing jetways, missing buildings, etc.  I thought I finally had it all fixed yesterday but now I get this weird thing with the damned jetways and I know it's "working correctly" according to you guys, but it's really not accurate!  It's happening at both SODE airports (KMEM & KIAH).

BEFORE the update, I would use CTRL+J to move the jetway into position when I was good and ready to start my GSX processes.  TOTAL control of the functionality. 

Now, IF the GSX list works at all, I must select "Deboarding" before I do anything else, even from a cold dark cockpit when it's the first run of the day.  IF the jetway works correctly (which half the time it doesn't now) I wait for a deboarding of PAX that should have never been there (all night sleeping I guess).  Note, the PAX begin to deplane even before the jetway is in position under this new setup - falling to certain injury on the tarmac.  Then, I finally begin to load fuel and PAX on board for MY flight.  After I complete boarding, the jetway automatically starts moving back into place, before I've even closed the cockpit door??  Then, when I use GSX to select the pushback process for my PMDG 737-800NGX, the jetway just starts attaching itself back to the aircraft??  It's ridiculous really...

From my point of view, even when the scenery works now, it's a lot less realistic than it used to be because of SODE...my point of view.  KIAH & GSX were PERFECT for me and now they're not.  I have the same problem at KMEM, and I suspect I will at any airport you convert to SODE, so please don't until this is resolved.  Either GSX needs to be reconfigured to work better with SODE, or vice versa!

The jetway should ideally be attachable PRIOR to boarding/deboarding (as soon as you activate ANY GSX function), and should not move out of place until the cockpit door is closed, and should stay in place once it's pulled away on pushback (or even better only when I command it to). 

Possibly related to this, last night while trying to start a flight at KDTW (NON-FSDT/NON-SODE Default), GSX only gave me one gate in the GSX activation menu and it wasn't mine!  it listed all of the runways but I wanted to start GSX at the gate like a normal aircraft!  Restarted couatl, etc, to no avail...maybe that's another GSX issue, I dunno.  I'll try again today when I get a chance to see if it's still happening, but...very frustrating after NEVER having issues with it for over a year!

If those things can be fixed, that would at least make the biggest glaring issue remaining resolved and restore your airports (with the SODE functionality) to the top of the accuracy list as well as the appearance list (which happily they always do)!

Assuming the other bugs are fixed too of course...I think they are??

I really hope you can figure it out because I LOVE FSX and I LOVE your products - they're the best out there.  I sincerely also hope you reconsider your statements about FSX SP2 users.  I think we're still the vast majority of users out there and we've worked hard to build our environments (for YEARS).  None of us want to reinstall a brand new product that isn't much better and start all over again with tweaking, installing, re-coding, etc.  Until someone comes out with a truly new and better simulator, few of us will ever change anything because we fear total disaster in the attempt (out of experience).  Thanks! :-\

Or...maybe I'm the only one having this issue in which case I guess I'm just SOL???  If anyone else notices these things, please chime in...otherwise, sorry for wasting your time, Virtuali!

DFWSupertrooper

Re: Frustrations with GSX/KIAH After SODE "Upgrade"
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 06:53:08 pm »
UPDATE:  KDTW GSX seems to be working fine today, after I reinstalled KIAH last night (not sure why, but...).  Perhaps the subsequent restart cleaned something out.  Disregard that issue.  Will retest a KIAH-KMEM flight later.

DFWSupertrooper

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 07:12:45 pm »
UPDATE:  At KIAH C22, I've selected Deboarding and even though my PAX are disembarking, I receive no message asking for a jetway to dock??  Only other KIAH airport features...I am at the position AFCAD places my aircraft in at the gate, so if this is not the appropriate position to receive a jetway, I don't know what is??

I restarted couatl to start from scratch.  If I make sure the E-brake is on, open the cargo doors and PAX door, and THEN re-attempt Deboarding...it prompts for the jetway as expected...still dumb that my PAX (that never should have been there) are already leaving, but...at least I think this is the trick to getting the SODE jetway prompt..E-brake and door open PRIOR TO activating GSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 08:51:38 pm »
1) First problem, the supposed non-working jetways:

As explained many times on the forum to users that believe GSX+SODE "do not work", just because they don't see a request to operate the jetway, that's not the case. It's working perfectly fine, it's just that GSX will NOT show the jetway menu if SODE has told that jetway wouldn't be able to reach the door so, it wouldn't be correct if we would show you a jetway that won't be able to connect.

The reasons for a jetway not being reported as solvable by SODE might be several: but it's a COMBINATION of your parking position, the airplane chosen, the doors configuration, how the jetway is made, and how is placed on a parking.

If the jetway was using the default FSX animation, it might have started moving, but it would probably have issues, like being stretched out, or underground, etc. SODE prevents this problems, but there's no such thing as a "Magic" jetway that could "stretch" to reach any door from every position.

In this case, if you think that jetway SHOULD have worked with your plane and your positions, then please clearly identify:

- The plane used, and if it's internally supported by GSX or you made a configuration for it.

- The Gate used.

- Your position when parked.

2) Second problem, the supposed lack of control

This has been discussed already and we already confirmed the next update will have a separate menu to operate the jetway on request, not necessarily linked to a Boarding/Deboarding operation.

3) Third problem, the jetway that retracts after deboarding

This have been already discussed on the forum, and we already confirmed it will be fixed in the next update.

DFWSupertrooper

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 11:00:27 pm »
In this case, if you think that jetway SHOULD have worked with your plane and your positions, then please clearly identify:
- The plane used, and if it's internally supported by GSX or you made a configuration for it.

PMDG 737-800.  I am under the understanding that aircraft is supported and Ive made no changes to its configuration.

- The Gate used.

KIAH/Gate C-22

- Your position when parked.

2) Second problem, the supposed lack of control

This has been discussed already and we already confirmed the next update will have a separate menu to operate the jetway on request, not necessarily linked to a Boarding/Deboarding operation.

My apologies...I never saw any update message anywhere.  That's great news!

3) Third problem, the jetway that retracts after deboarding

This have been already discussed on the forum, and we already confirmed it will be fixed in the next update.

Again...apologies...I never saw this either...looked all around but did not know these items were already being remedied.

I sincerely apologize for any offense.  I am glad to know these items wil be rectified.

Also, I got on here to post another update, and to advise that I believe I may have figured out the correct starting procedure for eliminating the people "jumping off" before the jetway is in position.  If I close the door on the PMDG aircraft but have everything else (e-brake, etc) in the proper setting, it will allow jetway control PRIOR TO offloading PAX.  Stil weird that they're "there" but as you say, that's being remedied.

About to test fly between KIAH and KMEM and hoping for the first success!

Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:23:58 pm by virtuali »

DFWSupertrooper

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 01:20:09 am »
UPDATE:  Successfully completed a flight from KIAH-KMEM with GSX on both ends.  No major system issues or crashes, but here is a note (I say this cautiously because for all I know this is being fixed and/or has been addressed elsewhere, but just in case no one has pointed this out yet)...

I landed on 18R and called up the GSX menu after ATC assigned me to Gate C14.  It appropriately listed Gates and C14 was coded as 'JS' as everyone is saying it should be.  I taxied in and pulled up to the gate.  Now, I cannot get the screen shot small enough right away but I ended up spot on the 737 parking line, damned near perfectly straight, within .025 X/Y of where the Marshaller told me to stick it.  Called up 'Deboarding' and cannot get offered a jetway.  Everything else seems to be working but no jetway in the GSX menu after selecting deboarding.  I dont think it's an "error" per se (the jetways are working and SODE is active),  I think GSX (or SODE) thinks I parked too far away for the jetway which is impossible to imagine looking at it.

How close do you have to be to get it to work, or are the parking spots in AFCAD not exactly lined up with where they should be (distance from terminal) for the jetway to work??  Thanks for your clarification.  If this is already addressed, I apologize...wanted to complete the mission in this thread that I said I would.

Side note...KMEM looks AMAZING!  You guys have outdone yourselves here with all the ground movement, etc.

DFWSupertrooper

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 01:28:28 am »
...I ended up spot on the 737 parking line, damned near perfectly straight, within .025 X/Y of where the Marshaller told me to stick it.  Called up 'Deboarding' and cannot get offered a jetway.  Everything else seems to be working but no jetway in the GSX menu after selecting deboarding.  I dont think it's an "error" per se (the jetways are working and SODE is active),  I think GSX (or SODE) thinks I parked too far away for the jetway which is impossible to imagine looking at it.

How close do you have to be to get it to work, or are the parking spots in AFCAD not exactly lined up with where they should be (distance from terminal) for the jetway to work?? 

I think I know...restarted FSX, began at this parking spot, same A/C and the computer/AFCAD places me halfway between the 737 line and MD80 line, forward about 5 feet.  Asked for deboarding and presto...so I think you need to park further in than where the GSX Marshaller asks generally speaking.