Author Topic: Trying GSX  (Read 8680 times)

geobas

Trying GSX
« on: June 10, 2016, 12:37:24 pm »
Although l see a lot of errors being reported or crashes , l would like to test GSX , but l can't find a manual or tutorial how to see the demo working, so l can make up my mind to purchase it .
l have installed
gsx_fsx_setup.exe
gsx_vehicles_update7_fs_setup.exe
setup_addonmanagerX.exe

Running my FSX on a custom airport (made with ADE) , l get several options in the Addons menu
but l cannot find a way to see GSX (vehicles) working .

Any help will be appreciated

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Trying GSX
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 03:19:43 pm »

l have installed
gsx_fsx_setup.exe
gsx_vehicles_update7_fs_setup.exe
setup_addonmanagerX.exe

This is redundant, since the GSX full installer is always kept with everything released the moment you download it so, you don't need the additional vehicles if you just downloaded the full installer now, and you don't need the separate Addon Manager, because it comes with the GSX installer.

Not that installing the extra stuff would cause any harm, but it's not necessary (if you just downloaded the GSX full installer, it might be necessary if you downloaded it some days ago), I said that just point out the installation is way simpler than it looks like, if you simply keep in mind the simple concept that, whenever we add something to GSX, we ALWAYS replace the full installer too, so you can be sure it's *really* "full" and "complete", to the date you download it.

Running my FSX on a custom airport (made with ADE) , l get several options in the Addons menu but l cannot find a way to see GSX (vehicles) working .

I suggest reading the manual first. It seems you are expecting to see new vehicles to appear automatically. That's not how GSX works.

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:43:11 am »
Question. I noticed that when the catering trucks arrive, they raise up and extend to the doors. Then no men moving the food carts into the aircraft (in this case a 777-200). I re-downloaded GSX and all of the add-on vehicle files. Still no catering guys. Has anyone else seen or rather not seen this? Otherwise I love GSX. Thanks
Thanks,
Jon Martinez
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, FSXSE, ATI HD 6800 with 4GB DDR5 Ram, 16 GB system ram, 250 GB SSD, UTLive, REX SkyForce and Worldwide Airports

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 01:02:07 pm »
Question. I noticed that when the catering trucks arrive, they raise up and extend to the doors. Then no men moving the food carts into the aircraft (in this case a 777-200)

They won't appear until you open the service doors.

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:28:19 pm »
The doors were open and the trucks were parked and raised up to them. Is there a pdf file to download  or a book I can buy that will show me how to edit the plane's cfg file (whatever one I need to change) which doors open etc?  I try the standard keyboard keys and the engine cowling open not the doors or the doors over the wings open but not the ones I need etc. Thanks
Thanks,
Jon Martinez
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, FSXSE, ATI HD 6800 with 4GB DDR5 Ram, 16 GB system ram, 250 GB SSD, UTLive, REX SkyForce and Worldwide Airports

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 11:52:21 am »
The doors were open and the trucks were parked and raised up to them.

The doors might have been opened, but if the plane is not correctly configured to recognize them, it won't detect they are. Some 3rd party airplanes are included in the GSX internal database, but if you are trying to use an unsupported airplane, since you only said "a 777-200", it's difficult to know if your problem that you tried to use an unsupported airplane without configuring it first, or you tried to re-configure an internally-supported plane and made some kind of mistake doing it.

The GSX airplane configuration page will tell you if GSX is using its internal database, or a custom customization, or it's lacking one.

Is there a pdf file to download  or a book I can buy that will show me how to edit the plane's cfg file (whatever one I need to change) which doors open etc? 

The GSX manual, of course, there's a complete section on airplane customization.

The manual can be accessed in 3 different ways:

1) From the Addon Manager menu inside FSX, selecting GSX and pressing the “Open Manual” button

OR

2) From the Windows Start button, under the FSDreamteam program group, there’s a link to the manual

OR

3) By browsing your FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl\GSX folder, the PDF manual is there.

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 10:09:55 pm »
Ok I got most of it working. I used the aircraft configurator and set the doors that will not open to the first option, no door checks. BUT one several airports both default and payware, everything-all equipment and the marshaller are on the ground. The tow vehicle is in the air above the aircraft! I did check the nose wheel settings and they did not need to be changed. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:16:36 pm by Jammerjonn »
Thanks,
Jon Martinez

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 03:19:26 pm »
The tow vehicle is in the air above the aircraft! I did check the nose wheel settings and they did not need to be changed.

That's because you are using an old (older than June 1st) GSX installer, which resulted in the "floating vehicles" problem when applying one of the latest updates, without paying attention to the release notes:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

June 1st, 2016

IMPORTANT: this update requires to download and install the latest GSX FULL INSTALLER!!

Either download the current FULL GSX installer, or the current vehicles update.

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 09:45:22 pm »
Yes I bought it several years ago. I really like this program. I uninstalled it along with the vehicle updates and reinstalled the new installer and vehicle update. I also reinstalled the addon manger x just in case.
Thanks,
Jon Martinez

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 10:49:45 pm »
Can you set a joystick button to do the Crtl+Shift+F12 command?
Thanks,
Jon Martinez

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 01:30:39 pm »
Can you set a joystick button to do the Crtl+Shift+F12 command?

If your joystick has a keyboard emulator utility that can send keyboard combinations, yes.

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 10:07:00 pm »
Ok thanks I'll check on it. By the way, the tow vehicle is floating again up in the air. As I stated above, I followed your instructions. I uninstalled GSX and all 4 vehicle updates, rebooted my system and reinstalled GSX and vehicle 7 and it was ok for a few days. What should I try next? Thanks
Thanks,
Jon Martinez

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 11:49:20 pm »
By the way, the tow vehicle is floating again up in the air

The only possible explanation for this, is that you still have outdated vehicles, which is not possible if you downloaded and installed the CURRENT GSX FULL installer.

As I stated above, I followed your instructions. I uninstalled GSX and all 4 vehicle updates, rebooted my system and reinstalled GSX and vehicle 7 and it was ok for a few days. What should I try next? Thanks

Nowhere I said to uninstall GSX, uninstall the vehicles updates, then reinstall GSX and the vehicle updates.

I said what the release notes I quoted indicate: you must DOWNLOAD and INSTALL the current GSX FULL Installer, and nothing else.

If you just uninstall and reinstall from the same old GSX installer, one that might have been released before June 1st (the date after it was *mandatory* to download the full installer again, as the release notes indicates), even installing the vehicle update 7 will NOT be enough, because the vehicle update 7 contains changes/additions to vehicles released AFTER June 1st (as their download page indicates), so if you install from an older GSX full installer and then the vehicle update, you won't have all the updates that came with the June 1st full installer.

If you don't want to think about it, just download and install the CURRENT GSX Full installer and forget about the updates. The current GSX full installer is ALWAYS and CONSTANTLY updated. The one and only reason to have the vehicle updates, is that some users might want to download a smaller file, and that's it.

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 01:37:27 am »
I did download the newest GSX installer and vehicle update #7. I thought as most people say, uninstall the old ones first then install the new ones. I will reinstall the installer and not the vehicle updates. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 01:41:45 am by Jammerjonn »
Thanks,
Jon Martinez

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 07:21:10 pm »
I did download the newest GSX installer and vehicle update #7

If you downloaded the newest installer, the vehicle update was just redundant, but it surely won't cause any problems. The vehicle updates, as the web page says, is an option to have a smaller download, provided your full installer has a date AFTER June 1st, but if you don't want to reason with dates, just download the latest full installer, and you can be sure it contains *everything* up to the date you download it, and there's nothing else to download.

Which means, if you still have floating vehicles now, the only possible explanation is either you haven't downloaded the latest full installer, or you downloaded it, but haven't installed what you downloaded. Sometimes it's easy to be confused if you have more than one installer with the same name, just with a (1) or (2) appended to it, it might not be obvious what you need to launch.