Author Topic: Hmm, seems a virus/suspicious behavior is afoot?  (Read 3389 times)

Sploosh

Hmm, seems a virus/suspicious behavior is afoot?
« on: June 10, 2016, 10:32:58 pm »
Look here, I bought KMEM recently. Re-downloaded the Stand-alone Addon Manager, as always, as I have for years. NOW, I recently had issues with a credit card being fraudulently used, and my virus protection software NOW says that the Addon-Manager has been found exhibiting suspicious behavior. Uhm, I am NOT accusing, but the timing and circumstances are VERY coincidental. It is sad if someone within this group has begun to do negative or illegal behaviors considering how many of these sceneries I have purchased. Not to mention how difficult it would be to use the sceneries without the addon manager (uhm, wouldn't work at all). Has anyone else seen or experienced this phenomenon lately/recently?

Hnla

Re: Hmm, seems a virus/suspicious behavior is afoot?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 02:01:26 am »
Has anyone else seen or experienced this phenomenon lately/recently?

Nope

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 01:17:43 pm »
It is sad if someone within this group has begun to do negative or illegal behaviors considering how many of these sceneries I have purchased.

Then you should know better.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 02:12:47 pm »
Re-downloaded the Stand-alone Addon Manager, as always, as I have for years. NOW, I recently had issues with a credit card being fraudulently used, and my virus protection software NOW says that the Addon-Manager has been found exhibiting suspicious behavior.

I fail to understand how you could link a BUG in your antivirus, that has mistakenly flagged our software has a virus (without even caring that is digitally signed with TWO digital signatures: our own and the Taggant signature which is specifically designed to *prevent* false positives by antivirus), with an illegal activity on your credit card.

Time to switch to a more reliable antivirus.

Without even considering that, the Addon Manager and FSDT do not have ANY data about your Credit Card! We don't process payments.

In fact, we are not even SELLING anything. You are not buying from us, you are buying from Esellerate, and they don't give us any details about your payment method (and we wouldn't want to have it any other way!) so there are no connections whatsoever between your credit card and the Addon Manager, since payment data is entirely obscured to us.

Sploosh

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 07:50:03 pm »
Despite it all, and to everyone here, thanks for both the positive and negative feedback. I don't want anyone to stop using FsDreamTeam, but I urge you to be careful when you buy on the internet. I have been, and still got compromised. I still trust FsDreamTeam, and especially am grateful to Umberto for their continued love for the genre of Flight Simming. I don't wish to start a fight, nor be attacked. But, I know on any forum it is open season on anyone who swims against the stream.

Defend the product, I do. Defend FsDreamTeam, of course. I love what you do, and I love your company. This is not an attack, but an explanation as to WHY I would post this here. You either care and listen, or you don't. I thought you WOULD care. I am sure something here has yet again offended someone. I am not trying to be offensive. Sometimes that doesn't matter in the global world. I am not blaming, but trying to find answers.

I posted this on FsDreamTeam's website, in good faith. To say "I should know better" than to think something negative has happened to your website or product, how exactly would I KNOW? Just because nothing HAS happened until now does not mean it can't, hasn't or won't. I have bought sceneries for years with no problems. However, anyone who thinks this day and age that nothing can be compromised, or hacked, or stolen, is foolish. The United States + State gov't's, schools, businesses, websites, etc., have had their secure info compromised in these recent years. To the one or so people who are offended, this query does not blame FsDreamTeam. and FsDreamTeam trusts businesses to handle things ethically and legally for them, too.

This post is merely trying to find if anyone has had similar experiences, and what you did with them. If you haven't had these experiences, and all you have is hate (without these experiences to taint you), you don't need a forum to tell someone you don't like them, or you won't help them. And, to assume every "hit" with anti-virus software is a "false positive", that is absurd. And just because it gives a "false positive" does not mean I should stop using it. I don't stop using your sceneries just because I got a "false positive".

I ask here, a place I trust, considering that much of the issues one person experiences... MANY usually have, are or will. The experience here is vast, and despite haters, are usually honest and open to TRUE problems with real solutions. IF (and this is a big IF) FsDreamTeam's company was compromised, such as what happened to AVSIM years ago (for a recent example), NO you might not be able to easily respond. I posted on this website to GIVE you a chance to respond. Hmm, this is a website forum regarding Flight Simm help of like-minded people in usually similar situations using the same websites with the same programs. Why wouldn't I turn to you?

I enjoy FsDreamTeam's sceneries, and enjoy the help and insight that is usually provided, wherein I know somehow I WILL offend someone, always. When I download from any website (such top names like FlightSim.com, Avsim.net, FsDreamTeam, FlightBeam, MegaScenery Earth, and the list goes on-and-on) and my anti-viral program flags something, I will certainly pay attention, especially when the usual legal clause/agreement of quite a few websites is download at YOUT OWN RISK/USE ANTI-VIRAL SOFTWARE.

I wish all of you well, just the same.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:54:30 pm by Sploosh »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 10:31:29 am »
I'll repeat it again: you are not buying anything from us. Even if the FSDT site got "hacked", the worse it could happen to you , is that you won't be able to read the forum for a while, and that's it.