Author Topic: Compatibility with P3Dv3.3 due to changes in P3D ground layering  (Read 3662 times)

edwardpat

Hi Umberto:
Don't really know if this was asked before, but as you probably know, there is a lot of noise at Avsim and LM forums regarding P3Dv3.3 non-compatibility with previous ground layering system that are/were used by addon scenery providers. This is applying to certain scenery, like ones from UK2000, LatinVFR, Taxi2Gate, and also to some scenery from Fly Tampa and Flightbeam (just from memory from what I've read in those forums). Want to know what to expect from FSDT scenery, since I have almost all of your products actually installed in P3Dv3.2, before I make any upgrade to v3.3.
Thanks,
Ed

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Compatibility with P3Dv3.3 due to changes in P3D ground layering
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:59:43 pm »
It's surely something related to a change in backward compatibility with legacy FS8-style ground polygons, a method we stopped using starting in 2010 with KDFW, so you shouldn't expect any issues with FSDT sceneries released after date. I guess the ones that might be affected are Zurich, O'Hare and the Hawaiian airports.

Brian S

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:00:04 pm »
It's surely something related to a change in backward compatibility with legacy FS8-style ground polygons, a method we stopped using starting in 2010 with KDFW, so you shouldn't expect any issues with FSDT sceneries released after date. I guess the ones that might be affected are Zurich, O'Hare and the Hawaiian airports.

Apparently it has something to do with using the SDK2002 for ground layering.  I am hesitant to install P3D 3.3 if it is going to break a bunch of airports.  Virtuali, or anyone else, can you confirm if any FSDT airports are now broken due to this issue.  Not sure if SDK2002 is the same as FS8 style ground polygons you posted about.  

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 12:14:05 am »
Not sure if SDK2002 is the same as FS8 style ground polygons you posted about.  

Yes, FS8 = FS2002, FS9 = FS2004, etc...I really couldn't find the time to test them the oldest sceneries under 3.3 (I listed those that *might* be affected), but I'm fairly sure that all the ones using native-FSX ground polygons (from KDFW onwards, and including JFK V2), shouldn't look any different than 3.2

Brian S

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 02:04:51 am »
Hello All,

The issue has been identified. In the next couple days we will be releasing a hotfix to correct a bug that has caused issues with some third party sceneries. Thank you for helping identify the issue and to the third parties for providing more information. It will not conflict with the other performance changes in recent updates.

As part of this bug, we have identified some capabilities that are necessary to further support developers to use our recommended methods. We are developing those enhancements and expect them to be included in a future release. We will provide more information as soon as we can.

Thanks again for the feedback and your understanding - you all help us make Prepar3D great,
Adam
Prepar3D® Software Manager & Technical Lead

FYI, posted today from the P3D team.