Author Topic: GSX not working **SOLVED**  (Read 4833 times)

lla117

GSX not working **SOLVED**
« on: June 03, 2016, 07:10:04 pm »
Good evening,
Sorry to post this as I know this is a recurrent issue, but I can't get my GSX to work since I tried to update to the latest version yesterday. After downloading the latest GSX version and starting FSX Steam, the couatl menu wouldn't open with ctrl+F12 nor did it appear in the menu bar, despite the Addon manager telling me GSX was active. I have tried every method recommended to get the GSX menu to run (except the simconnect version because "you require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to the folder...")and even removed everything to do with FSDT from my PC, but to no avail.
I should also add that after that update my Geneva scenery wasn't working anymore (with just jetways appearing).
I hope someone can help as this is rather frustrating, and apologise if this question has already been answered.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:55:22 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX not working
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 12:55:28 am »
A problem with antivirus is the most common cause for missing Add-on Manager or Couatl and GSX menus so, first try the following procedure:

- Go into Control Panel, Uninstall GSX and reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl script engine ?"

- TURN YOUR ANTIVIRUS OFF.

With the antivirus still disabled, reinstall GSX. Use the latest full GSX installer on our site.

- BEFORE launching FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

- Now you can turn your Antivirus on, and launch FSX

- Note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs, reply YES to both. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS.

- When FSX loads, check if you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered products" under the "Addons" menu.

lla117

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 01:55:41 am »
I forgot to mention in my first post that my whole FSX folder was already set to be excluded from scanning by my antivirus. I nevertheless followed these instructions step by step, however I still came up with the same end result: the addon manager will appear when FSX loads, but not GSX (or Couatl powered products). However, I did note that on launch, while FSX did ask for permission to run addon manager, it did not mention couatl at any time.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 02:00:12 am »
while FSX did ask for permission to run addon manager, it did not mention couatl at any time.

Then, assuming you followed the precise, exact, procedure, especially this step:

- Go into Control Panel, Uninstall GSX and reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl script engine ?"

It can only be the antivirus not correctly disabled when installing. No, it's not enough to exclude the whole sim folder from scanning. If the antivirus blocks the file while installing it, it will block it when it's still in the temporary folder, before it gets a chance to be copied in the sim folder.

If, instead, you are not sure you did that step, do it again and be sure not to miss that step.

lla117

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 02:46:39 am »
Right so after turning my antivirus off and also excluding my downloads folder from scanning I finally managed to get couatl up and running again. Very grateful, thank you very much for your time and (prompt) help!