Author Topic: GSX not reading AFCAD files for all airports  (Read 4611 times)

Caribflyer

GSX not reading AFCAD files for all airports
« on: May 28, 2016, 10:26:43 pm »
Hi,

I am having a bit of a strange issue with GSX is not recognizing the AFCAD file for some of my scenery add-ons. In particular I am having this issue with Richer Simulation Grenada X and UK2000 scenery products. It worked before with my MS FSX installation, but since moving over to FSX Steam, it is not reading the AFCAD that comes with the scenery. It seems to only recognize the default parking spots.

All FSDT, Flightbeam, Aerosoft and other scenery products work just fine. Any ideas on what may be causing this and how I can fix it?
Marlon Carter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX not reading AFCAD files for all airports
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:28:21 pm »
First, try to force a cache reset, by removing the following folders:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl
%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\FSX

At the next start, wait for the FSX and GSX airport caches to regenerate, and then check which is the AFCAD used by GSX from the parking customization editor.

Caribflyer

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 12:01:27 am »
I should also mention that in my %PROGRAMDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl folder there is both a folder called fsx and fsxse. Will this cause an issue?

Update:
I tried your suggestion and the folder fsxse was recreated and the fsx folder wasn't. Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem but when I created a copy of the folder and renamed it fsx, everything works now.

Also, with the UK2000 scenery, when loading up the sim, the aircraft is sometimes loaded just a bit off of the actual gate parking spot. I'm not sure if this is all related though.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 01:42:51 pm by Caribflyer »
Marlon Carter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 02:50:19 pm »
I should also mention that in my %PROGRAMDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl folder there is both a folder called fsx and fsxse. Will this cause an issue?

That's how it's supposed to be: there's a separate cache for FSX and FSX:SE. That's why I told you to remove the *whole* folder, so it would remove both caches, regardless which sim they belong to.

I tried your suggestion and the folder fsxse was recreated and the fsx folder wasn't.

Assuming you removed the whole folder (the Coautl folder, which contains both caches), if only the fsxse cache has been regenerated, it's because you are running FSX:SE in a Dual installation mode, because you had FSX installed.

Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem but when I created a copy of the folder and renamed it fsx, everything works now.

That's because you probably removed FSX *AFTER* you installed FSX:SE. This will cause issues, so it's best to reinstall FSX:SE *after* having removed FSX, so it will setup itself to run in "Single" mode.

Also, with the UK2000 scenery, when loading up the sim, the aircraft is sometimes loaded just a bit off of the actual gate parking spot. I'm not sure if this is all related though.

If with "loaded", you mean you go to a parking using standard "Go to Airport" FSX menu, it means the AFCAD position is not precise, and this is totally unrelated to GSX.

Caribflyer

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 07:56:18 pm »
Thanks. I actually deleted FSX before installing FSX Steam but it seems like the registry still has MS FSX with the installation path to FSX Steam folder in addition to an FSX Steam registry entry.
Marlon Carter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 09:52:01 am »
Thanks. I actually deleted FSX before installing FSX Steam but it seems like the registry still has MS FSX with the installation path to FSX Steam folder in addition to an FSX Steam registry entry.

This is correct. That's exactly what it's supposed to be when you install FSX:Steam stand-alone: the registry keys for FSX will point to the Steam folder.

The problem is likely the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX_SE folder (which is only used when you have *both* FSX and FSX:SE installed) that is still there, but it's not used anymore when FSX is uninstalled.