Developer's Backdoor > KMEM Backdoor

KMEM preview video links

<< < (5/6) > >>

12bpilot:
That's right, the SODE jetway animation system does not control the spinning of the wheels. There is a technical background to it why I didn't support them (number of writeable SimVars) and also I didn't consider spinning wheels to be a deal-breaker, I thought they'd be just eye-candy.
But maybe I can find a way to use some bits from a already used variable, but the rotation speed will be an approximation and not the exact calculated speed.
However, that would require all existing sceneries using SODE jetways to update their jetway model to make use of spinning wheels.

SODE comes with its own "modelling SDK" to build jetways. Using these specially built models, SODE is able to calculate and animate the movement of the jetway in the simulator.

Thanks for pointing out that users will squawk about it, I expected it but was surprised how long it actually took that someone noticed that the wheels are not spinning, given that there are already a couple of SODE jetways around ;) That's just because FSDT managed to do such very good looking jetway wheels 8)

-Jeffrey
SODE Developer

Bruce Hamilton:

--- Quote from: 12bpilot on May 16, 2016, 02:44:52 pm ---That's just because FSDT managed to do such very good looking jetway wheels 8)
--- End quote ---

Exactly, they're so good that something non functional sticks out.   :)

Orion:

--- Quote from: 12bpilot on May 16, 2016, 02:44:52 pm ---There is a technical background to it why I didn't support them (number of writeable SimVars) and also I didn't consider spinning wheels to be a deal-breaker, I thought they'd be just eye-candy.

--- End quote ---

Do you know which variables are available/writable for a given SimObject category?  The only thing I could find was a post from Tim Gregson saying "you might want to consider using the ground vehicle category instead of aircraft though, much lower overhead (although also fewer variables predefined)."

12bpilot:

--- Quote from: Orion on May 18, 2016, 11:46:20 pm ---Do you know which variables are available/writable for a given SimObject category?  The only thing I could find was a post from Tim Gregson saying "you might want to consider using the ground vehicle category instead of aircraft though, much lower overhead (although also fewer variables predefined)."

--- End quote ---

No, unfortunately not. I also stumbled upon that post you mentioned, but there is no list or table. Trial and error, my friend...

virtuali:

--- Quote from: 12bpilot on May 19, 2016, 06:03:41 pm ---No, unfortunately not. I also stumbled upon that post you mentioned, but there is no list or table. Trial and error, my friend...
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's how it works with Simconnect. The documentation is not always correct, and they don't specify which variables becomes writable or not, *depending* on the Simobject kind.

We wrote a very simple testing utility, so we came up with our table. Check your email, if I can read the SODE SDK correctly, it seems you still have one variable available, which might be used to rotate the wheels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version