Author Topic: KLAX Problem  (Read 3164 times)

pauliethepilot

KLAX Problem
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:38:53 pm »

Hello,

I know this has been discussed before but I'd like to ask a question which has not been asked on this issue before.

I run FSX on W7 64 and I am a simmer since 1996 so I am very aware of how the sim works and functions. I use the usual GSX, UT2, ORBX, FlyTampa, Aerosoft, PMDG, etc. products out there on a new machine.

I noticed that FSX kept hanging during menus and freezing a long while back and the only solution that worked for me was to use the compatibility mode for XP service pack 2. No amount of UIAutomationCore.dll's did the job for me unfortunately, tried all versions. Basically with all my addons installed flying the PMDG 777 I am able to do flights of 16+ hours to complex airports like Copenhagen without saving and restarting the flight, which is something quite rare browsing through the forums. No OOMs anymore, no crashes anymore. Well maybe 1 in 100 flights.

Let me get to the point. I purchased KIAD and KLAX a few days ago and noticed that buildings do not show up unless I get really close to them and they pop up. I know one of the possible issues is the compatibility mode. So I turned it off and the airports work fine. Unfortunately I can't fly without the compatibility mode due to constant crashes. I am pretty upset as I planned to purchase a lot of the Flightbeam and FSDT sceneries and noticed that in trial mode they have the same issue. BUT! Interestingly enough KIAD is OK in compatibility mode which seems strange to me.

So my question is, is there another solution to compatibility mode? Maybe a different service pack setting that would make these airports work with it? I have no issues with any other payware up till now and it's pretty upsetting to finally have a smoothly running FSX but being unable to use FSDT and Flightbeam scenery.

Thanks for your help! Kind Regards, Paul

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KLAX Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 03:25:26 pm »
So my question is, is there another solution to compatibility mode?

No, there isn't and trust me, you don't want to use Compatibility mode at all. What compatibility mode does, is to force your video drivers running into a reduced-performance mode (WDDM 1.0, opposed to WDDM 1.1 which is what you want to use), and we suspect this might case the objects to disappear when getting close.

Of course, you believe you "fixed" your problem by enabling the Compatibility mode, but you are making your FSX to under-perform, because video drivers will not work at 100% performances, and they will also be less efficients in memory handling.

On top of that, EVERY single registry call and EVERY single file-access call every program (which includes both FSX and all its installed modules), will be re-routed to "fool" non-UAC compliant applications to redirect registry and files writes, slowing them down, because for each of these calls, there will be an additional call to re-route the file location.

So no, you don't want to enable Compatibility mode, which is doing exactly the opposite of what you think you are achieving.

Unfortunately, since the issue with video drivers is fairly low-level, there's simply nothing we can do from our side to fix it. It's just how FSX draw objects.

Of course, you will now asking "why KIAD works"...

I guess it's because Flightbeam still hasn't *entirely* switched to 100% native FSX objects, some of them might still use legacy code (I think they will do it with the next airport ), or not use certain types of advanced material properties, which will not work well when the video drivers are forced to run in the lesser mode, because of the Compatibility setting.

pauliethepilot

Re: KLAX Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 04:45:05 pm »

Thank you for your informative reply.

Excuse the mistake but I meant to say KIAH not KIAD. In any case I just saw that in the addon manager my KIAH is active and installed in scenery library and everything works fine, while the airport in question, KLAX, is showing that it's active but not installed in scenery library. I'll play around with things and see if that makes a difference.

I didn't know that compatibility mode has such an effect on FSX. I'll try to fix things on my end so I can fly to these fantastic airports. Thanks again for your help! Kind Regards, Paul