Author Topic: Carrier OPS Carrier Changing direction  (Read 7396 times)

Fryman

Carrier OPS Carrier Changing direction
« on: November 29, 2015, 03:24:22 pm »
I have been running carrier OPS and have been having problems with the carrier changing direction while on final. I fly out of Oceana (KNTU) and launch a carrier and tanker about 60 km off of KNTU with a course of 4 degrees, using the VRS Scenario file. My setup is as follows: P3D v 2.5, TacPack, Active Sky Next build 5781, VLSO, Win 10, Case 3 recoveries at night. When I get into the jet I set the carrier to follow the wind and this usually work fine when the wind is grater than zero.. For the last few days the winds have been calm at KNTU, (KNTU 0 @ 0). The carrier will change direction and the BRC is published by vLSO to do the landing. As I approach the carrier for a case 3 Marshal stack all is well and when I convert to the final inbound course and use VLSO's final bearing the ship goes into a ships in turn mode a new course is issued. I correct for this turn and continue to the carrier at 1200 ft. and about 135 kn. When I enter the 3 km area from the carrier and enter the glide slope all looks well until around 1 km the carrier starts turning again. This makes the line up very hard and the VLSO program will quickly issue a wave off if you do not stay in the very narrow window after ball call. Last night this happened every time I went to land with calm winds (4 times). My question on this is what is the interaction between ASN and the carrier in VRS TacPack. Who issues the change VRS, vLSO or ASN? In all conditions the winds were calm. Today the winds are calm again and this problem will probably happen again in both Case1 & 3 carrier OPS. How does ASN or VLSO issue a wind direction when, it is calm at 0 @ 0 surface winds. Has anyone else had this problem?

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: Carrier OPS Carrier Changing direction
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 04:18:45 am »
Fryman,
There is no detrimental effect on vLSO part - the program only receives SimConnect messages relating carrier's speed and position as well as weather conditions near the carrier.
FYI: The only actively controlled [by vLSO] object is a tanker.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:02:50 am by Paddles »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Fryman

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 05:01:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply. On the ASN forum I saw where AI planes were going crazy when winds were calm. perhaps this is also true for the carrier.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:11:38 pm »
Maybe it needs a wind to be set. Have you tried it with a 10kt wind, down the carrier's BRC, perhaps?
I seem to recall reading in the NATOPS that there are minimum Wind Over the Deck requirements for recovering F/A-18C's on the boat. Are the carriers moving at a certain speed? If so, can you add in a wind to make up the WOD requirements, and see if that stops the direction changes too?
Will AICarriers.NET work in P3D, and if it will, have you tried using that? I use it all the time in FSX-SE and the carriers are steady as a rock, if I set them that way. 25Kts, straight as an arrow. I add in 10kt winds and away I go!
Just trying to think of anything to help.
Pat☺

Fryman

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:05:00 pm »
I have ASN working correctly and set to update every 15 min. By watching the ASN log screen I can tell when a new weather down load occurs and have been able to determine that when doing a Case III recovery and using the marshal stack it is almost certain a new weather update will arrive while the plane is leaving the Marshal stack to the CV. If the change is small the problem is not bad but if the carrier changes direction by a large amount the carrier will make this change quite quickly. vLSO changes direction on the "ship's in turn" message by only 2 degree per call. If the change is large the vLSO program goes on and on announcing the ships in turn message. The only way to determine the carriers new course is to look at the carriers direction in VRS's AI call. I have changed the update time to longer, 30 min or more and eventually the change will come and the ship's in turn message still goes on forever because the change in boat direction is usually higher than the 2 degrees used by vLSO. To solve the problem I usually lock the carrier course when I get inside of 20 km.My question to paddles is can the vLSO program determine the boat's direction change and get to the new direction quicker? Also the announcements of landing procedure and Case is not very frequent and I almost have to be on the boat to find out the Case of recovery could a radio call to vLSO get this message further out like 20 km?