Author Topic: Reinstall problem  (Read 6244 times)

Ricksstix2

Reinstall problem
« on: February 12, 2009, 01:05:01 am »
Hi, I am having a problem reinstalling your sceneries. Recently I made the mistake of updating a few of my aircraft add ons at the same time,unfortunately one of those updates made it so none of my add on aircrafts landing or taxi lights worked. I tryed to figure out which one to no avail so I decided to do a complete reinstall of fsx and all of my add ons. I first uninstalled all of my add ons and when I uninstalled your sceneries I chose to uninstall the add on manager and couatl engine because I thought they would reinstall when I ran the installer. I get an error message that reads c:\users\rick\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx\dll xml error on line 54 position 20. invalid at the top level of the document.I have no idea what that means or how to repair, any ideas?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Reinstall problem
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 02:31:52 am »
I get an error message that reads c:\users\rick\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx\dll xml error on line 54 position 20. invalid at the top level of the document.I have no idea what that means or how to repair, any ideas?

This message means that your dll.xml file has been corrupted by another product so, our installer would not touch it, because trying to adding lines to an already corrupted product, might make things worse. Note, this check is made *before* making any modifications to it.

It would be easier if you just post your dll.xml file here, so I can fix it for you. Use the "Additional Options" with the Attach function, don't copy&paste the file in a message, because it might not work.

Ricksstix2

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:24:47 am »
 hi, thanks for the quick reply, hopefully I attached the correct file.

Ricksstix2

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:59:34 pm »
Hi, I read somewhere in another thread that if you delete the dll-xml file when you next run the program a new one will be created. Is this true? and if so do you have to uninstall all of your add ons before you delete the dll-xml file and then reinstall after the new file is created?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:18:47 pm »
Yes, if you delete the DLL.XML file ( and the EXE.XML file as well ), our installer will recreated one that is surely correct. But it wouldn't included any other module except ours so, it might be best do this only if you are willing to reinstall the other addons that adds their own modules.

@Ricksstix2:

I think it's just easier if you fix your DLL.XML file yourself. If you open it in Notepad, you'll see there are random characters in the last line, below the closing </SimBase.Document> Tag. You can confirm this file is corrupted, because if you try to open it with Internet Explorer, it will give you an error.

Delete the random chars, and leave the last line with </SimBase.Document> intact, save the file and you should be set.

Basically, if you can open it in Internet Explorer, the file is legal XML

Ricksstix2

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:18:49 am »
Thanks for your help, I got everything working again!