Author Topic: Audio being disabled by GSX **SOLVED**  (Read 26777 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Audio being disabled by GSX **SOLVED**
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2015, 11:24:41 pm »
does the following error is related with sound driver:

A driver could cause errors in any place in Windows, because it's the only kind of software that has complete access to it.

If the problem was related in any way to our software, SOMEONE ELSE would have reported it. Instead, it's just you now, with random error messages that keeps appearing out of nothing.

I'm sorry, but it's clear the problem is something in your system that is CAUSING Couatl to crash, not the other way around. Couatl is the victim here...

Izomag

• Virtual Widerøe Twin Otter
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2015, 03:44:03 pm »
"Now, using GSX is great lottery. I'm disappointed. GSX worked great...until Couatl 3.0 I think. Now, it's nearly unusable for me"

If you are referring to the audio errors, you are the only one with this error. The only other user that had issues with audio, fixed them by updating the audio driver, of course: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12718.msg96119.html#msg96119

No, he’s not the only one. I have the same problem and it started from updating Couatl. I’ve installed latest audio driver but it didn’t fix anything.

It seems that something is wrong between Realtek audio drivers and Couatl 3.0.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:04:21 pm by Izomag »

luko

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2015, 11:27:11 pm »
Hi Izomag,

I leave this issue and didn't use GSX.

Now, I have fresh Windows 10 install and FSX:SE. Didn't install any external (separately downloaded) Realtek audio drivers (so, I use stock Windows drivers).
GSX works... for now...

Regards,

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2015, 01:07:21 pm »
Now, I have fresh Windows 10 install and FSX:SE. Didn't install any external (separately downloaded) Realtek audio drivers (so, I use stock Windows drivers).
GSX works... for now...

That seems to confirm what I said in a previous reply:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12536.msg96105.html#msg96105

luko

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 02:38:35 pm »
Umberto,

but I reinstalled all system and simulator. Do you mean that is the only solution? Hope not...
Anyway, before reinstall system I didn't resolve it... even by uninstalling Realtek audio driver and using generic one.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2015, 04:28:58 pm »
but I reinstalled all system and simulator. Do you mean that is the only solution? Hope not...

I'm not sure I understand you: you say it's working now. If this worked for you, than it means in YOUR case, a reinstall was needed.

Anyway, before reinstall system I didn't resolve it... even by uninstalling Realtek audio driver and using generic one.

That's likely because the sound driver uninstaller didn't uninstall anything, but left some conflicting file behind. Again, nothing to do with GSX, which was just affected by a problem in your audio driver installation.

Izomag

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 11:58:18 pm »
Hi Izomag,

I leave this issue and didn't use GSX.

GSX works... for now...

Regards,

No way, I’m not going to reinstall the whole operating system because of conflict in one FSX addon :D
But thanks for sharing, luko!

Just a couple of months ago, GSX worked great on my PC and with my audio drivers. Now, the PC and the drivers are the same, it’s Couatl that changed. And I belive that faulty drivers should affect more than only one application.

Perhaps there is a downgrade to the previous version of the GSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2015, 04:47:54 pm »
No way, I’m not going to reinstall the whole operating system because of conflict in one FSX addon

Nobody said you *must* reinstall your OS. You should do that only if you are unable to fix the problem caused by your audio drivers in another way.

Just a couple of months ago, GSX worked great on my PC and with my audio drivers. Now, the PC and the drivers are the same, it’s Couatl that changed.

Your audio drivers must have changed or ANOTHER file in your system has AFFECT THEM. Nothing in Couatl has changed in relationship to audio since it was released.

And I belive that faulty drivers should affect more than only one application.

If will affect ONLY games/apps that use the OpenAL library, which is something that works (or not) ONLY if your audio drivers correctly supports it.

If you don't have any other game/app using Open-AL, you won't notice any problem with audio. That's why you can be easily mislead thinking it must be a Couatl/GSX problem, when it's not.

This is CLEARLY proven by luko report. Under your reasoning, if it was a problem that "Couatl has changed", it should NOT work after an OS reinstall, shouldn't it ?

Since the Couatl luko was using *before* reinstalling the OS is the same, if he fixed his problem by reinstalling the OS, it's should be fairly obvious that what caused the problem was something in his previous OS installation, not Couatl, since he's installing the same version which didn't work on his old OS install.

Perhaps there is a downgrade to the previous version of the GSX?

You cannot downgrade GSX, unless you have an old version and install it with the network disconnected. But I doubt this will fix anything.

Izomag

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2015, 12:18:09 am »
Thank you for your response.

Reinstalling the Standalone Addon Manager (version 3.0.0.10 downloaded from Fsdreamteam website) seems to help somehow. Couatl is still unstable, but at least the GSX is usable now. Autodiagnostic checks for audio often are needed, but Couatl doesn’t crash completely everytime during restart anymore (altough sometimes it still happens).

I found that allowing Couatl to update via Live Update within FSX, will cause Couatl to crash permanently and the only rescue from that situation will be reinstalling the Standalone Addon Manager again. In fact, doing anything with Live Update (even trying to disable it) immediately causes Couatl to crash. But as long as I keep my hands away from Live Update, GSX seems to work.

I don't belive this issue is really solved, but complete reinstall the Standalone Addon Manager and keeping away from Couatl Live Update helped a little in my case.
...without reinstalling the whole operating system  ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:27:17 am by Izomag »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2015, 09:23:00 am »
Reinstalling the Standalone Addon Manager (version 3.0.0.10 downloaded from Fsdreamteam website) seems to help somehow

The Stand-Alone Addon Manager doesn't have ANY interaction with ANY of the audio in your PC so no, it's impossible that installing it would make *any* difference to anything related to audio.

Couatl is still unstable, but at least the GSX is usable now. Autodiagnostic checks for audio often are needed, but Couatl doesn’t crash completely everytime during restart anymore (altough sometimes it still happens).

If the audio diagnostic checks sometimes fails, that's a clear proof OpenAL support in your audio drivers is buggy. And there's not much else we can do about it, other than *having* that diagnostic to point you out of a problem with your audio.

If the audio diagnostic, we can at least not use audio and have GSX runs silently, but with no crashes. But, if the audio drivers is bugged, and initializes correct, but it then won't work when used, Couatl will surely crash when audio is called. The diagnostic is not a complete test of each and every function: it's just a test if the audio *initializes* correctly, but we wouldn't know for sure it won't ever crash when USED. In order to do that, we should make a complete audio diagnostic that would call each and every OpenAL function, and if some of it would fail, it WILL probably crash while doing the test!

If we could be able to test each and every audio function in your drivers, and doing that without crashing, that would be an impressive feat by itself, more than the whole GSX product, and might be a worthwhile product to sell as a stand-alone audio troubleshooting utility.

I found that allowing Couatl to update via Live Update within FSX, will cause Couatl to crash permanently and the only rescue from that situation will be reinstalling the Standalone Addon Manager again. In fact, doing anything with Live Update (even trying to disable it) immediately causes Couatl to crash. But as long as I keep my hands away from Live Update, GSX seems to work.

The Live Update downloads exactly the same files as the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, with the exception that the Stand-Alone Addon Manager downloads also the latest Couatl.exe (if you don't have it already), and the latest version of the Addon Manager (bglmanx.dll, if you don't have it already) so, the problem doesn't have anything to do with Live Update but, instead, it's just seems to be a generic issue of restarting Couatl, which is done automatically by the Live Update when it's done.

You'll probably have the same issue if you restart Couatl manually from the menu, and this can ALSO be caused by a problem with audio drivers, since if they are initialized and fail, there might cause problems during a restart.

I don't belive this issue is really solved, but complete reinstall the Standalone Addon Manager and keeping away from Couatl Live Update helped a little in my case.

Since the issue doesn't have much to do with Couatl of the Addon Manager, it's to be expected it won't be "really solved" by reinstalling any of them. In order to "really solve it", you must act on your audio drivers, because they are the REAL problem.