Author Topic: This is NOT good...  (Read 7447 times)

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
This is NOT good...
« on: January 23, 2009, 04:26:40 pm »
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21981

Although not confirmed by any official sources, it appears that Microsoft has entirely shut down ACES Studios as part of a 5000 employee layout. ACES is of course responsible for Microsoft Flight Simulator and was also working on Train Simulator 2 so if true both of those products would appear to be dead.   :'(
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

01pewterz28

Re: This is NOT good...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:28:39 pm »
Very sad but if this is the ned of FS development from MS I hope developers will look back and continue to expand for both FS9 and FSX as if this is the case I will never install FSX again on my PC and FS9 will live for ever :)

Sean

Silverbird

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 09:55:52 pm »
This was definitely shocking news to me after so many years, I hope those that were affected find a better place and my best wishes go out to them. here are a few more links to this horrible news to us flight simulator fans.  :(

Phil Taylors Blog  http://www.futuregpu.org/2009/01/end-of-era-aces-studio-and-flight-sim.html
Steve Laceys Blog http://www.steve-lacey.com/blogarchives/2009/01/the_end_of_an_e.shtml
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:57:43 pm by Silverbird »
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

Kiwiwanabe

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 10:18:20 pm »
This was definitely shocking news to me after so many years, I hope those that were affected find a better place and my best wishes go out to them. here are a few more links to this horrible news to us flight simulator fans.  :(

Well said Siverbird. There is plenty out there and more coming for FS9 and FSX and will be for a while. We can easily be satisfied for some time. The real concern is for all those that are trying to figure out how they are going to get themselves and their families through some very difficult times.

JFKpilot

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 10:23:37 pm »
This is very bad for the industry -- a lot more than just the Microsoft employees are going to hurt from this.  People slammed Aces and fsx all the time, but without them...it's like life just ended.  There's a lot of life left in fsx but what about after that?  I hope something happens -- x-plane just doesn't cut it.    
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  -James Dickey

B777ER

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:44:46 pm »
Word is that MS will bring on about 20 people to keep the FS franchise going. No word on a timetable for that though. I think ESP is dead.
Eric

HappyFlier

Re: This is NOT good...(titles that discribe the subject are more efficient)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:10:06 am »
Title says it all. Tired of opening things because of a 'Mystery Lead' for a subject.

I am open to new thoughts, is there a reason for not using the 'Subject' line to tell what follows?

Then I might be bitter. I had started a thread titled: "How will Microsofts layoff of the development team affect the Future of FSX".
I erased it after opening, "This is NOT good...", more by accident than anything else.

Just a thought. Maybe everyone should use "????" for a title. It will increase the mystery.
----------------------------------
A couple of emotional outbursts, but no real replies, to what was an honest technical question: Wouldn't Titles specific to the content of the thread make the forum easier and more effiecient.  The base 'Subject'  prompted the question, so I put it here.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:01:11 am by HappyFlier »

SirIsaac726

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 07:27:40 pm »
Title says it all. Tired of opening things because of a 'Mystery Lead' for a subject.

I am open to new thoughts, is there a reason for not using the 'Subject' line to tell what follows?

Then I might be bitter. I had started a thread titled: "How will Microsofts layoff of the development team affect the Future of FSX".
I erased it after opening, "This is NOT good...", more by accident than anything else.

Just a thought. Maybe everyone should use "????" for a title. It will increase the mystery.

Then why did you open it to post in here? :P  Someone's bitter. ;)

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:30:24 pm »

Thanks for not sharing your opinion of the topic in this thread and instead going on about how your "topic thread" was ignored in lieu to this one. We also thank you for sharing your opinions about topic subject titles. Yes thank you for that.

Boohoo for you... 5000 people just lost their jobs. But what the hell, let's all discuss the title of the topic instead.

ANYWAY,

Maybe this will mean that FS9 will get a new lease on life... And I am sure FSDT will NOT run out of seneries to make!! I will go ahead and speak for EVERYONE when I say, As long as you guys keep making seneries, i'll keep buying them.