Author Topic: What is the latest release?  (Read 4022 times)

Fardel

What is the latest release?
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:02:35 am »
Hello,
It happened several times, to me and other friends, to ask for help about some problems but the initial reply is that we have not installed the latest release.
I looked on the FSDreamTeam web but could not find a page which shows all the latest versions of software of all prodocts.

Other SH have a page dedicated to this, in order to avoid doubts about the state of the art and I think this could help us in this contest for a better support.

What do you think about it?

Thank you

Paolo

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: What is the latest release?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 04:50:06 pm »
Just download the installer from the product page, you'll always get the latest version because half the files are retrieved online from servers.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Fardel

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 06:47:07 pm »
Yes I know this, but if there is the number of last release on the web I know if I must re download or not and so I have always the last release.

And I should not download the software every to days to have the simulator always updated if there are no changes. I have hundreds of scenarios and if I download all scenarios to be sure to be updated I would do just that. And so I should not download a scenario that I have already updated

This could also be on a Forum page indicating which is state of the art.

This is only a contribution for the best of service.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:50:06 pm by Fardel »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 09:11:48 pm »
And I should not download the software every to days to have the simulator always updated if there are no changes.

That's *precisely* the reason why the installers download lots of files when they run AND why there's a Live Update system in our products. So you won't HAVE to redownload the installer so often.

But depending how old your last full installation was, it might be best to download the latest installer again. As a general rule, if your full installer came with Couatl 2.x, you should redownload the installer. If it comes with Couatl 3.x (so it's an installer released after August 2015), it should be enough to let it update with the Live Update without redownloading again.

And of course, when there's a new sim released, like P3D V3, if you need to install there, you must download the latest installers too.

Fardel

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 06:09:40 am »
Ok it is all right but I think that if there was a summary page with the latest version shown would be of great help.

Thanks for your patience

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 10:50:12 am »
Ok it is all right but I think that if there was a summary page with the latest version shown would be of great help.

This has been discussed so many times already, and no, there' no need for a summary page, because the installer on the site is *always* the latest version and the installer DOWNLOADS lots of files.

That's why it doesn't make any sense, and it will be MORE confusing if we had a page saying which one is the latest version.

The latest version of the installer might read some number, and this won't change even if there are new files being downloaded. But the version might change, only because we made a small fix to the *installer* itself (like fixing a bug in a certain condition, like user with corrupter registry, etc.), so you would be tempted to download it (because it has an higher version number than yours), but it wouldn't be necessary, because since YOUR installer downloads several files, you would have got them anyway by running it again, and you might not be affected by the issue which was fixed, so you end up downloading something not needed.

The only thing we might add in new installers which are not downloaded are the vehicles updates. WHICH IS WHY, there are available separately.

So, as I've said:

- If your installer already comes with Couatl 3, it shouldn't be necessary to download it again. Just download one of the vehicle updaters , to be sure you have the latest vehicles. Everything else, is downloaded by your installer anyway.

- If you full installer comes with Couatl 2, it's best to redownload it.