Author Topic: KLAX with FSXSE problems  (Read 8608 times)

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
KLAX with FSXSE problems
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:59:59 pm »
I purchased KLAX for FSXSE and I noticed some glitches, might be just my system....

1. I can watch AI aircraft land on runways 24 and 25 day and night but when I fly from the east it always sends me to runway 7R ( day or night) and I fly into on coming traffic. When I try for an alternate runway, I get 7L, or 6R or L only.

2. I leave the gate, taxi to a runway, I get "Position and hold" but never allowed to take off. Other AI craft come up behind me and are told to wait because I'm on the runway and then after a minute or two, they are cleared to take off even though I'm there. If IO take off, I get a "not cleared for take off" message. After 10 mins of waiting I give up. Is there a certain spot to hit to get the ok to take off option? I re-downloaded and re-installed KLAX even though it was only a few months old. Some problems. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:54:57 am by virtuali »
Thanks,
Jon Martinez
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, FSXSE, ATI HD 6800 with 4GB DDR5 Ram, 16 GB system ram, 250 GB SSD, UTLive, REX SkyForce and Worldwide Airports

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KLAX with FSXSE problems
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 11:05:06 am »
1. I can watch AI aircraft land on runways 24 and 25 day and night but when I fly from the east it always sends me to runway 7R ( day or night) and I fly into on coming traffic. When I try for an alternate runway, I get 7L, or 6R or L only.

This doesn't have anything to do with the scenery, which has all the runway correctly defined as they are, but it's something the default ATC controls on its own, using a formula based on several factors having different weights, such as the wind direction, the runway length, if the runway has an ils, etc.

2. I leave the gate, taxi to a runway, I get "Position and hold" but never allowed to take off. Other AI craft come up behind me and are told to wait because I'm on the runway and then after a minute or two, they are cleared to take off even though I'm there.

This is also something that we cannot control. If you are not in the correct position, AI won't wait for you forever.

If IO take off, I get a "not cleared for take off" message. After 10 mins of waiting I give up. Is there a certain spot to hit to get the ok to take off option? I re-downloaded and re-installed KLAX even though it was only a few months old.

You must be on the hold short zone. It's *possible* that some of the hold short zones at KLAX, which of course are in the CORRECT, real world position, might be a bit too far for FSX to consider them valid. As explained other times on the forum about this issue, we are faced with the following dilemma:

1) Making the scenery ground indications and accurate to the real world, but placing hold short zones in the AFAD in the "wrong" position, that will make the default ATC happy. This will of course confuse users a lot, because they would have to know to stop in a place that doesn't match the ground signs.

OR

2) Altering the visual scenery to match what the default ATC would consider ok, which will solve your problem, but would result in an unrealistic scenery, and everybody checking it against a real map would flag as "inaccurate"

OR

3) Ignoring the default ATC (many users just do that, because they either fly online or use 3rd party ATC products), and make the scenery visually ACCURATE to real world and the AFCAD coherent with it, risking that some hold short positions will not be recognized, causing the problem you reported.

NONE of the 3 above solution is entirely satisfactory, so we simply decided to go for #3.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 06:23:32 pm »

You must be on the hold short zone. It's *possible* that some of the hold short zones at KLAX, which of course are in the CORRECT, real world position, might be a bit too far for FSX to consider them valid. As explained other times on the forum about this issue, we are faced with the following dilemma:

1) Making the scenery ground indications and accurate to the real world, but placing hold short zones in the AFAD in the "wrong" position, that will make the default ATC happy. This will of course confuse users a lot, because they would have to know to stop in a place that doesn't match the ground signs.

OR

2) Altering the visual scenery to match what the default ATC would consider ok, which will solve your problem, but would result in an unrealistic scenery, and everybody checking it against a real map would flag as "inaccurate"

This might not be a perfect solution Umberto, but this is what I've done at CYVR to help eliminate this issue. I made the runways wide enough so that the hold short nodes in their real world spots would overlap the runway. As the airport file is just an underlay, it doesn't actually show in the sim as being any different. It seems to work quite well from what I've seen and I haven't seen any anomalies from doing.

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:33:18 pm »
Ok thanks for the info I'll try a different gate or parking space . The other issue I have with KLAX is whether I fly into KLAX from an eastern state, daytime, nighttime, weekday or weekend, I'm always send to land on runway 7. My choices are 7L\R or 6 L\R. I never get 24 or 25. I love flying in at night to see the lights of LA and the freeways with cars  lights etc. Is there an update I'm missing? I just re-downloaded KLAX last month. Thanks
Thanks,
Jon Martinez
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, FSXSE, ATI HD 6800 with 4GB DDR5 Ram, 16 GB system ram, 250 GB SSD, UTLive, REX SkyForce and Worldwide Airports

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 02:40:02 pm »
The other issue I have with KLAX is whether I fly into KLAX from an eastern state, daytime, nighttime, weekday or weekend, I'm always send to land on runway 7. My choices are 7L\R or 6 L\R. I never get 24 or 25.

As discussed so many times on the forum, the choice of a runway is made by FSX depending on many factors, each with different weights, like runway length, availability of an ILS, wind direction, etc. You can of course ask for another runway to the ATC, but by default you will be sent to the first, longest ILS-equipped runway UNLESS the tailwind component is too high.

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:38:19 pm »
Ok thanks. I downloaded a free trial of FS Flight Keeper from http://www.flightkeeper.net/ and yes it did not  override FSXSE for landing even though I programed it for runway 25L. Thanks again. I'll try a different season and see if that might do the trick! It fun to try anyway.
Thanks,
Jon Martinez

Jammerjonn

• Verde Valley Computers
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 08:13:28 pm »
I gave up on your KLAX version. No matter what season I flew in or day or night, it never lets me land on runways 24 and 25. The stock FSXSE version does. I like to fly at night and come in over the city rather than the ocean to see the city lights. It's more realistic to me. Your other versions seem to be ok........so far. Maybe someday you'll make an update to KLAX and I'll re-install it again. It is a beautiful version.
Thanks,
Jon Martinez