Author Topic: Would Like to Purchase but weary of FPS  (Read 7612 times)

Angelo

Would Like to Purchase but weary of FPS
« on: December 07, 2008, 01:35:58 pm »
Hello FSDT, my concern is the FPS I will get when I buy this product, I downloaded and installed the DEMO. My system Specs are

Intel Quad 3.46Ghz
4GB of RAM (2.8 - 3.2) Being Used
Nvidia 8800GTX SLI Latest Gfx Drivers installed
Vista 32 Bit SP1

Problem is I only get about 11 FPS or lower in KJFK and it gets laggy at times, what should or can I do?

FSX Settings SP1 and SP2 Installed
Nhancer used with AA is OFF in FSX Settings

I have Ultimate Terrain X, Ground Environment X, Real Environment X, and PMDG MD-11.

I run 2 Monitors (1) is a 24 Inch Widescreen 1920 by 1200 other (2) is a 19 Inch 1280 by 1024 (FSX Resolutions are the Same)

Graphics Global Texture Resolution Very High / Lens Flare Checked / Advanced Animations Checked / Target FPS 30

Scenery Tab Everything Full except Scenery Complexity is Very Dense, Autogen Density is Normal
LOD Radius Large / Mesh Complexity 85 / Mesh Resolution 10M / Texture Resolution 15cm / Water Max 2X / Special Effect High

Weather Tab Cloud Draw 60mi / Detailed Clouds Checked / Cloud Coverage Maximum

Traffic None at all, no airport vehicles.

Thanks
Angelo Cosma

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Would Like to Purchase but weary of FPS
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 01:56:12 pm »
First, what is the fps with a default airplane ? If you don't test a scenery with a default airplane, you are not testing the scenery, but the airplane. Check the difference, at least you would know where the problem is.

11 fps with no AI it's not normal at all, see this thread about fps, and the frame rate I'm getting, with a system slower than yours, only 2 cores, 2.66 mhz, no SLI, and FSAA turned on.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1304.0

You might try these modifications:

- Put Target fps to "Unlimited"
- Water to 2.0 Low
- If you have Bloom on, turn it off

Angelo

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:10:57 pm »
Ok I will try it in the Ultra Light, Light Bloom is off, and I will adjust the water and FPS sliders as recommended and post back.

Angelo

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:19:27 pm »
Ok water slider to Low 2X / FPS Slider to Unlimited / My FPS in the Ultra Light on the runways was like 20-27 and in terminal, Ramp Area between 11 - 18. So I am still concerned when I switch to the PMDG this is also done at Day Time not dusk or dawn where the work load is even more.

Angelo

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:33:21 pm »
Ok In the PMDG MD11 same settings and time as the Ultra Light 11-15 FPS on Runways, 10-13 FPS at the Gate Ramp Area.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:54:22 am »
Does it improve with just 1 monitor ? It's also strange that your fps is changing so much (from 20-27 or 11-18), which is quite high margin, that shouldn't be especially with a Quad Core. Also, I don't have such difference between the runways and the ramp area. My posted fps were taken on the ramp area, though.

Just a tought: is everything ok with your cooling system ? Because, if something goes wrong, and the CPU temperature starts to rise to unsafe levels, the CPU will automatically throttle down its speed to protect it from overheating.

Another test you can try is the default JFK, using a position similar to my screenshot. If you don't reach at least 41 fps (but you should get even higher than that, because I have a dual 2.66 you have a quad 3.46), something is wrong which at least you would know is not caused by our scenery.

Angelo

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 08:17:16 am »
Ok well I tested the Default JFK with FPS set to unlimited and capped at 40 Unlimited gave me better FPS surprisingly to me, With one or Both Monitors displayed I got the same FPS and my FPS at Default JFK were 25-40 sometimes 50 if I looked straight at the ground.

Angelo

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 08:20:17 am »
Then when I load up the PMDG in JFK at Default airport FPS are no higher than 20.

ryanbatcund

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:25:11 pm »
Well of course the FPS will be low - the PMDG MD11 is one of the most FPS-killers out there....that along with their 747X and the levelD 767.  And you happen to be flying in one of the most dense areas within FSX - New York City lol