Author Topic: GSX not recognizing some Addon scenery  (Read 4798 times)

mga010

GSX not recognizing some Addon scenery
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:20 pm »
I know that this issue could be related to wrong scenery BGLs (missing AFCAD) but I doubt that is the reason for my problems.

The CUATL log file shows only those addon sceneries that are in the related sections of scenery.cfg. But there is a section "Addon Scenery\scenery" where some authors want to put the BGL into. Could it be that the airport cache misses these BGLs completely?

I have several freeware stuff (LEPA, LIML, EDDH) there and with none of them a proper pushback is possible. Moreover, it happens that I cannot call the deboarding when parked at a clearly marked park position (the menu shows only parking positions, runways and gates to get to).

I must admit that I do not know how the directory "AddonScenery\scenery" is handled by FSX. Maybe it is just part of another directory in the Global section. It is not listed in scenery.cfg at all. But the sceneries work and removing or adding one causes an update of the scenery index.

Thanks for any hints

Rene

Update: I now discovered that "Addon Scenery" is indeed in the scenery.cfg and in the Couatl log. So this seems not to be the source of the problem. Then I am stuck here.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:00:56 am by mga010 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX not recognizing some Addon scenery
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:39:32 am »
I have several freeware stuff (LEPA, LIML, EDDH) there and with none of them a proper pushback is possible. Moreover, it happens that I cannot call the deboarding when parked at a clearly marked park position (the menu shows only parking positions, runways and gates to get to).

It would have been more helpful if you sent a log with you parked at one of *these* airports, instead at EDDM, unless that one is having problems too. Please confirm if this is the case.

If there's a disagreement between what you see and what GSX works on, like misplaced parking positions, etc. it's usually caused by an AFCAD conflict.

Sometimes, the AFCAD conflict is already happening within FSX itself, so you'll see misplaced parkings even with positioning the airplane using the standard "Go To Airport" FSX menu command. In this case, there's nothing that GSX can do, if FSX itself shows a conflict, GSX surely cannot fix it, you must the remove one of the conflict sceneries, or work with the Scenery Area priority to sort it out.

In other cases, it's possible that FSX has managed to support the AFCAD configuration, but GSX is not.

There are some configurations that GSX simply doesn't support, for example airports that are not entirely self-contained. In order to be considered usable by GSX, and airport must have at least one parking and a taxiway. It's possible that some airports, especially freeware ones, don't include everything, but just "enhance" what's already available in the FSX stock AFCAD, and build on top of it with a separate .BGL that only includes their additions.

In this case, if the additions are enough to consider the airport "complete", and the enhancing AFCAD is on an higher layer in the Scenery Library, GSX will use ONLY the enhancing AFCAD, but no data from the stock one will used by GSX, so you'll see only the additions in GSX.

If, instead, the enhancing AFCAD is not considered complete by GSX, for example because it has only new taxiways but no parkings, GSX will use ONLY the stock AFCAD, so you will be missing all the additions.

Basically, while FSX has the ability to "merge" data coming from different .BGLs of the same airport, GSX will only use one at a time. We used this approach because it's far simpler to support, and all default airports are entirely self-contained, and most of the 3rd party scenery addons are also self-contained in a single file. Some developers use different variations, but the relevant data (parkings and taxiways) it's usually used in a single file at a time.

With a log file parked in the positions of an airport that is giving you problems, it would be possible to be more sure about what your issue really is.

mga010

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:10:29 am »
Thank you. I think the problem is clear now. It is the airport (or the airports). Some gates work, some don't. The settings of the parking positions show that the correct AFCAD is used (the one of the addon scenery).

mga010

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:15:48 pm »
Now, after a while, I see that your answer is completely off. The problem is not that GSX does not recognize the format (whatever) of the airport. It is simply selecting the wrong airport, mostly heliports. Starting at the airport, everything works, but arriving does not. In your recent manual, I find a suggestion to solve this. But it is way to complicated, and the problem is too frequent.

I have posted a suggestion for a fix in a more recent post.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 01:19:51 pm »
Now, after a while, I see that your answer is completely off.

My answer was correct, according to the informations you supplied.

It is simply selecting the wrong airport, mostly heliports. Starting at the airport, everything works, but arriving does not. In your recent manual, I find a suggestion to solve this. But it is way to complicated, and the problem is too frequent.

I cannot see how difficult is to just create a single text line with the helipad to be excluded. Do you have so many airports with helipads inside ?

mga010

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 01:34:43 pm »
Yes. Almost all freeware airports seem to have one. And as I say in the posted suggestion, it is not easy to find out. You notice it after landing only, not when you start at the airport.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 01:42:48 pm »
Almost all freeware airports seem to have one

Please don't continue double posting about the same issue in two threads at the same time, because it obviously make it impossible for me and for others to follow the discussion.

In the other thread ( please reply THERE ), I asked to make a list of this specific cases, that are ONLY the ones with helipads with a *separate* ICAO code. Not JUST airports with helipads.

Again, reply only in the proper thread.