Author Topic: Setup file not launching: Win10, FSX:Steam **SOLVED**  (Read 7067 times)

surista

Setup file not launching: Win10, FSX:Steam **SOLVED**
« on: September 23, 2015, 10:52:39 pm »
Hi. I recently downloaded the installation file to demo out the software before purchasing. I'm on FSX:Steam, Windows 10 (64-bit), and I have a number of the 'usual suspects' add-ons.

Clicking the gsx_fsx_setup.exe installation file does...nothing. Well, not exactly nothing; there is a brief flash of a window opening (seen on my taskbar) but it disappears right away.

The only two things like this I was able to find on the forums was one person that apparently hadn't re-installed his sim (not a problem in my case) and another where the problem was 'untrusted' certificates (also not a problem on my end).

I've already done the obvious re: the antivirus software

I figured I'd post the install log file here first; hopefully someone will notice something right away that saves me a day or two before I start in on a round of uninstalling / reinstalling and mucking around with SimConnects and VC++ runtime libraries and such - thanks in advance.

2015-09-23 21:03:08.155   Log opened. (Time zone: UTC+01:00)
2015-09-23 21:03:08.155   Setup version: Inno Setup version 5.5.4 (a)
2015-09-23 21:03:08.155   Original Setup EXE: C:\Users\MyPC\Downloads\gsx_fsx_setup.exe
2015-09-23 21:03:08.155   Setup command line: /SL5="$240BBC,107671972,168448,C:\Users\MyPC\Downloads\gsx_fsx_setup.exe" /SPAWNWND=$E0B4E /NOTIFYWND=$2D0AAA /log=install.log
2015-09-23 21:03:08.155   Windows version: 6.3.9600  (NT platform: Yes)
2015-09-23 21:03:08.155   64-bit Windows: Yes
2015-09-23 21:03:08.155   Processor architecture: x64
2015-09-23 21:03:08.155   User privileges: Administrative
2015-09-23 21:03:08.186   64-bit install mode: No
2015-09-23 21:03:08.186   Created temporary directory: C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Local\Temp\is-TFEF2.tmp
2015-09-23 21:03:08.186   Extracting temporary file: C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Local\Temp\is-TFEF2.tmp\itdownload.dll
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Extracting temporary file: C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Local\Temp\is-TFEF2.tmp\chiefzip.dll
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Prepar3D registry entry under HKCU points to
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Prepar3D has been found at
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Executable not found inC:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Executable not found inC:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Executable not found inC:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Now checking for FSX Steam Edition folder
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   FSX registry entry under HKCU points to C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   FSX has been found at C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Appdata folder found at C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Removing the FSX Compatibility flag
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe file version is 10.0.62615.0, setup will continue
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   FSX Steam Edition found in: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Problem calling RegQueryDWordValue(), which returned False
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Now checking for FSX folder
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   FSX registry entry under HKCU points to
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   FSX has been found at
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Executable not found inC:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   InitializeSetup returned False; aborting.
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Got EAbort exception.
2015-09-23 21:03:08.202   Deinitializing Setup.
2015-09-23 21:03:08.217   Log closed.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:04:16 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Setup file not launching: Win10, FSX:Steam
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:50:31 pm »
The problem is your registry keys for FSX:Steam have a problem, most likely because you uninstalled FSX after installing FSX:SE.

You have the FSX:SE-specific registry keys entries being setup, which happens when you install FSX:SE with FSX already installed (so FSX:SE will use separate registry keys and folders), but you are missing the "Co-existence" key, which is supposed to be there.

You can fix this with REGEDIT, by creating a new DWORD value in the following folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

The key should of the DWORD type, and must be named:

Co-Existence

with a value of 1

surista

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:03:22 am »
> which happens when you install FSX:SE with FSX already installed

Hmm, quite interesting. FSX was never installed on this or any machine I'm currently using; in fact this machine is a brand new build with a brand new SSD. (Now that I think about it, I don't even know where my FSX discs are. I'm sure they're around here somewhere).

So I'm not sure if faking the co-existence is a good thing or not <g> but I'll give the Regedit tweak a try,

Thanks,

-S

surista

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 08:19:18 am »
 :D

I can confirm that the DWORD edit worked ; setup file launched and everything appears to be correctly installed. I'll test it out later and let the forums know if there were any issues with having Co-existence = 1 without ever having FSX installed,

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:42:55 pm »
Hmm, quite interesting. FSX was never installed on this or any machine I'm currently using; in fact this machine is a brand new build with a brand new SSD. (Now that I think about it, I don't even know where my FSX discs are. I'm sure they're around here somewhere).

Then it's possible another software might have set the FSX registry keys (maybe the P3D Migration Tool ?) because, if you install FSX:SE on a brand new system, it will not use the FSX:SE registry keys and folders (which you have), but it will use exactly the same registry keys and folders as FSX, so any installers made for FSX only, will be able to recognize it as a standard FSX the "only" FSX installed.

surista

Re: Setup file not launching: Win10, FSX:Steam (SOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 01:29:06 pm »
> Then it's possible another software might have set the FSX registry keys (maybe the P3D Migration Tool ?) because, if you install FSX:SE on a brand new system, it will not use the FSX:SE registry keys and folders (which you have), but it will use exactly the same registry keys and folders as FSX, so any installers made for FSX only, will be able to recognize it as a standard FSX the "only" FSX installed.

Certainly wasn't the P3D Migration Tool, since I've never used P3D. Of all the add-ons I use, GSX is the only one that refused to install unless the regedit was tweaked to 'fake' a co-existence. I can confirm that it did indeed help get GSX installed, but having GSX installed has been very unstable with frequent crashes. Disabling or uninstalling GSX = everything back to normal, running smooth as buttah'

I'm giving GSX a pass until a proper FSX:SE fix is implemented, but I very much thank the developers for making a free demo available for us to test things out before purchase.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:30:53 pm by surista »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Setup file not launching: Win10, FSX:Steam (SOLVED)
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 02:04:07 pm »
Of all the add-ons I use, GSX is the only one that refused to install unless the regedit was tweaked to 'fake' a co-existence. I can confirm that it did indeed help get GSX installed

That's because not many other addons even *recognize* FSX:SE, so they don't even bother to check for the FSX:SE folders or the co-existance, so they will only work when FSX:SE is installed stand-alone, using the usual FSX registry keys.

GSX installer is a *PROPER* FSX:SE installer, so it checks for it BOTH in the FSX folders but ALSO in the FSX:SE-specific folders, and to be sure it's installed side-by-side, it also knows and check the co-existance registry key.

Maybe this wasn't entirely clear to you, so I'll explain it again:

1) If you install FSX:SE on a system with NO FSX, the folders and registry keys used will be the SAME AS FSX

2) If you install FSX:SE in a system WITH FSX, the folders and registry keys used will be the FSX:SE specific, AND the "co-existance" registry key will be set to 1

Your situation was not normal, because you had

- FSX:SE installed in the FSX:SE folders, which happens ONLY if you install it when an existing FSX is found, but you didn't had the co-existance key.

This situation LOOKS LIKE as if you installed FSX:SE when you HAD FSX installed, then you removed FSX, so the co-existance key was removed. But you said you "never" had FSX installed, so something doesn't add up.

I'll repeat it and confirm it again (especially since I JUST reinstalled Windows from scratch this week, and I installed ONLY FSX:SE on a brand new drive):

If you install FSX:SE on a clean system with no FSX, it will use the standard FSX registry keys, NOT the FSX:SE keys you have in your registry.

but having GSX installed has been very unstable with frequent crashes. Disabling or uninstalling GSX = everything back to normal, running smooth as buttah'

There are no crashes with FSX:SE that could be associated to GSX, and being sure of it "just" because the SEEMS to disappear by uninstalling, doesn't mean the crashes are *caused* by it.

GSX is simply discovering a problem that you HAVE, but cannot be disclosed without it.

You might have a problem with either your video settings, or your FSX settings, and this problem might appear ONLY if an object, which is an otherwise 100% legal object made according the SDK rules, has some material properties that no other add-on use, and they might not work because of a problem with either your settings or video driver, and this easily explains why you might be mislead thinking "it's a GSX problem, because it goes away if I uninstall it", when IT'S NOT.

Something that you might also check, is the use of the default "Screenshot" key in Steam. By default, Steam assign the F12 key to take screenshots, but there's no need to waste a key, since FSX has ITS OWN dedicated screenshot key ( the "V" key). But it's possible that, since Steam uses its own method to handle keypresses, the use of the F12 key MIGHT conflict with the key used by GSX by default, which contains the F12, but it's reserved and handled by GSX using the PROPER FSX method: which is Simconnect calls, that are entirely unaware of what Steam might be doing to the keys.

So, it might be safer to disable the screenshot key in Steam, under the "In Game" settings, and set it to "None". Also, it would be best if you disable Steam the in-game overlay too for FSX, because it might interfere with graphic objects.

Again, two example of issues that are not GSX "problems", but might be easily mislead you into thinking they are, just because the disappear when uninstalling GSX, without these being GSX faults, but simply because by removing GSX, you remove the chance for the conflict to appear, as in case of the Screenshot key, which you will not notice unless you install another addon that needs to use F12.

I'm giving GSX a pass until a proper FSX:SE fix is implemented, but I very much thank the developers for making a free demo available for us to test things out before purchase.

There's no need for any fix, and GSX is totally compatible with FSX:SE. And, thanks to the Demo, everybody can verify this is the case.

surista

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 07:21:10 pm »
Sheesh – do you think you’re the one and only software developer in the world that writes pristine, 100% error-free code?

I’ve never seen anyone so desperate to insist that there is ‘no way the problem could possibly be with MY product, the problem MUST be something else’.

“It’s totally not my product’s problem – my product just helpfully points it out for you”
  ::)

Seriously. Ever consider the fact that maybe it’s an error in your code that you simply were unaware of until my PC ‘disclosed it for you’?

I’m quite relieved I did not give this developer any of my money.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »
Sheesh – do you think you’re the one and only software developer in the world that writes pristine, 100% error-free code?

You are confusing normal errors and bugs, with a software ability to cope with NOT NORMAL situations.

Yes, it's great when a software is able to deal with errors on users' system, but this is far less common and, there are countless of example of software made by large corporations, that is NOT able to deal with mis-configured systems and unexpected situations.

Yes, our installer already has LOT of code to deal with the unexpected, like user editing config files by hand and corrupting them, other 3rd party software damaging core FSX files, etc.

But it's difficult to foresee these in advance: we MUST get reports from users affected by the unexpected and the abnormal and, THIS report of yours, of the FSX Steam registry keys being set AS IF FSX was installed alongside with it (even if it wasn't) and with the missing Co-existence key too, IT'S THE FIRST REPORT we ever had about this.

You still think we don't take it into account, even if it was the first one ever ?

That's not the case, of course.

Even if nobody ever reported this, so it was clearly an anomaly of your system, we ACTED ON IT, and acts are obviously stronger than words so, as soon as you reported it, we UPDATED the installer to NOT rely anymore on the co-existance registry key, and doing different (hopefully more reliable) checks, to verify if FSX:SE is installed alone or alongside FSX.

So, if you download the installer now, you'll see that it will correctly detect FSX:SE regardless if the registry key was present or not, which was your complain:

"Of all the add-ons I use, GSX is the only one that refused to install unless the regedit was tweaked to 'fake' a co-existence. I can confirm that it did indeed help get GSX installed"

I’ve never seen anyone so desperate to insist that there is ‘no way the problem could possibly be with MY product, the problem MUST be something else’.

If the problem YOU reported really existed, don't you think we would have MANY similar reports, not just yours ?

Ever consider the fact that maybe it’s an error in your code that you simply were unaware of until my PC ‘disclosed it for you’?

Ever consider the fact that maybe it’s there's error in your PC that you simply were unaware of until my SOFTWARE  ‘disclosed it for you’?

I’m quite relieved I did not give this developer any of my money.

This is what really happened instead:

- You have download a free Trial, using bandwidth paid by us

- The installer has discovered a possible problem with your registry keys, that are clearly NOT what they are supposed to be, that MIGHT result in future possible problems with other addons, especially when more of them will try to *properly* detect FSX:SE, not just relying on it being installed alone, so it will look just like FSX to an installer.

- You reported it, and you have been provided with a free professional advice, but you don't want to accept it.

- You haven't spent a cent.

So, why are you complaining, and about WHAT, exactly ?

I gave you several suggestions about what might have caused the crashes you are assuming are caused by GSX, especially the possible conflict between the Steam screenshot key (not needed in FSX) that *might* conflict with GSX, since both use the F12 in some way.

surista

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 12:18:22 am »
You should remove the 'Solved' from the Subject header, as the problem clearly was not 'solved'.

It clearly wasn't the first time you heard about the problem with your product when it comes to installing, right? You insist that this must be some sort of 'anomaly' of my system, not a problem with your code. And yet when I posted my question, you immediately knew what would 'fix' it (even though that only 'fixed' the installation, and broke everything else).  

Secondly - have you considered that I doubt that many people have had time to have virgin FSX:SE installations on brand new PCs with Win10 64-bit? How many others tried the demo, couldn't get it to work and simply didn't bother registering on the forums to point it out? In other words - perhaps I 'found' a problem with your product that you were otherwise unaware of? Quite frankly it's a hell of a lot more likely than the alternative explanation.

FSX:SE installed in the FSX:SE folders, which happens ONLY if you install it when an existing FSX is found, but you didn't had the co-existance key.

a) I've read other posts where those folders were created on otherwise 'virgin' FSX systems. Would appear you're wrong.

b) I have around 15 other add-ons installed - some common, some not so common. How odd that none of them had nary a problem with my 'anomaly' of a PC. Your program was the only one that insisted that my PC must have a co-existence key, even though I told you numerous times - FSX boxed version was never installed on this machine. It's a brand new machine, brand new SSD.

This is my last post on this matter - seriously, you need to take a step back and look at how arrogant and defensive your posts sound, particularly when you're making them to people that are otherwise trying to give you their money. Although I will never be one of them.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 12:20:25 am by surista »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 12:52:46 am »
You should remove the 'Solved' from the Subject header, as the problem clearly was not 'solved'.

The problem you reported is clearly SOLVED, since as I've said, quite clearly, the installer HAS been updated following YOUR report.

It clearly wasn't the first time you heard about the problem with your product when it comes to installing, right? You insist that this must be some sort of 'anomaly' of my system, not a problem with your code. And yet when I posted my question, you immediately knew what would 'fix' it (even though that only 'fixed' the installation, and broke everything else)

It WAS the first time, and I replied with the appropriate solution *only* because you posted the installation log, which is something I surely would have asked for if you didn't.

Secondly - have you considered that I doubt that many people have had time to have virgin FSX:SE installations on brand new PCs with Win10 64-bit? How many others tried the demo, couldn't get it to work and simply didn't bother registering on the forums to point it out?

You are discussing about this as this was some kind of "unknown" thing that must be tested or proved.

That the FSX:SE-specific registry keys are ONLY created if there's already an FSX installed on the system when FSX:SE is installed (and are NOT created when FSX:SE is installed stand-alone), it's A FACT, not my opinion.

Want some evidence ?  This is from another commercial developer:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/458665-a-couple-of-tips-for-fsxse-users/page-3#entry3168687

The intention of FSX-SE is to look like FSX when installed. But if any component of original FSX is found during the install, then the FSX-SE install is elevated to the dual mode. If you've installed FSX-SE in dual mode, then that will have to be removed in full too, before installing again in single mode. I've just walked up to a couple of PC's, removed FSX, and installed FSX-SE, the folders and files appear like regular FSX

Here, another very well known commercial developer:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/462765-fsx-steam-edition-creates-fsx-se-folders-instead-of-fsx/?p=3182742

When installed on a virgin system, that is one that has never had FSX (disk version) installed...FSX:SE will install precisely the same as the FSX (disk version) using the same Registry Key. This means that all products for FSX will install without any drama or jumping through convoluted hoops

http://www.avsim.com/topic/462765-fsx-steam-edition-creates-fsx-se-folders-instead-of-fsx/?p=3183593

If you think that Pete Dowson and Father Bill (N4GIX) - who are both recognized experts in FSX programming are "blowing smoke" when they say that installing FSX-SE to a truly clean computer will create a file and folder structure identical to original FSX - then I have to think that there is nobody who would meet your definition of a "trusted source".

In other words - perhaps I 'found' a problem with your product that you were otherwise unaware of? Quite frankly it's a hell of a lot more likely than the alternative explanation.

Yes, you found a weakness of the installer in dealing with a situation that basically shouldn't normally happen and yes, we WERE unaware of (even if you tried to imply we were, in your other sentence). The installer HAS been updated, following your report.

a) I've read other posts where those folders were created on otherwise 'virgin' FSX systems. Would appear you're wrong.

No, they are not. A random post on the internet cannot passed as factual evidence. The thread above on Avsim, concluded that, the ONLY way this could happen, if there are still leftovers from a previous FSX install.

Your program was the only one that insisted that my PC must have a co-existence key, even though I told you numerous times - FSX boxed version was never installed on this machine. It's a brand new machine, brand new SSD.

I already explained to you, quite clearly, why you didn't had problems with those products. You probably have BOTH FSX and FSX:SE keys so, those older installers looking ONLY for FSX, WILL FIND IT!

Maybe you weren't aware of FSX, but it's possible that ANOTHER FSX addon you installed has SET the FSX registry keys for you, because it couldn't find it, so FSX:SE had to create its specific ones, but not the co-existance key, since FSX wasn't *really* there...

Again, not a normal case, and certainly NOT a "fault" of our installer, but possibly an issue caused by a legacy installer that doesn't know about FSX:SE.

As I've said, quite clearly, there was a weakness in the installer to deal with this NOT-NORMAL situation, and installers should try to deal as many strange cases as possible, which is why, WE UPDATE IT, following YOUR report, and they don't rely on the "Co-existance" key.

This is my last post on this matter - seriously, you need to take a step back and look at how arrogant and defensive your posts sound, particularly when you're making them to people that are otherwise trying to give you their money. Although I will never be one of them.

These are the facts:

- You have been serviced correctly, even if you are not a customer

- You have been thoroughly explained about a possible issue in your FSX install

- Your report has been taken seriously, even if you ARE the only one that reported. Fact is, the installer HAS been updated.

I really cannot see what else you could expect.