Author Topic: Audio being disabled by GSX **SOLVED**  (Read 26813 times)

crauds

Audio being disabled by GSX **SOLVED**
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:48:21 pm »
I just posted a topic but for some reason it is not appearing.  After the upgrade, Coatl disables the audio device and so I have no sound for any GSX functions.  FSX sound still works fine.  I will try to post this thread again.  If it is a duplicate and the initial one eventually reappears, then my apologies.  I am uploading the FSX.cfg file showing my audio device and the coatl.log file showing the disabling of audio device.  There is no err log created for this.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:31:13 pm by virtuali »
Craig Williams
I7 7700K OC to 4.8Ghz 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz SD RAM GTX1060 6GB LIQ Cooled Win10 Home 64

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Audio being disabled by GSX
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 10:15:30 pm »
After the upgrade, Coatl disables the audio device and so I have no sound for any GSX functions.  FSX sound still works fine. 

Nothing in the update (although it not very clear what do you mean "after the update") could have any effect on audio. Nothing has changed in the way GSX handles audio since it was released.

I am uploading the FSX.cfg file showing my audio device and the coatl.log file showing the disabling of audio device.  There is no err log created for this.

It's normal there's no error log for this problem, since it's not a GSX problem.

The Couatl.LOG shows your audio device has failed to initialize, so GSX has reverted to not using any audio device, because it cannot use a faulty device, and it will likely crash if it tried to.

GSX has used OpenAL audio since it has been released, and nothing has changed in any of the updates. If your audio device fails to initialize, there's nothing GSX can do, other than reporting it.

The first thing to try, is restarting Windows, and re-selecting the audio device in GSX.

If that doesn't work, then it's a problem of your audio drivers, that have an issue with OpenAL, possibly related to a recent update of the drivers, or an update of your OS.

crauds

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 10:27:26 pm »
Hi Umberto!

My audio device initializes fine and is fully operational in all programs including FSX.  All other sounds work fine is FSX using my default sound device.  From my config file you can see the code for my devices but Coatl is not seeing them apparently.  The device certainly has not "crashed"!

You recommend "... re-selecting the audio device in GSX."

How do I re-select the device in GSX?

Craig Williams
I7 7700K OC to 4.8Ghz 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz SD RAM GTX1060 6GB LIQ Cooled Win10 Home 64

crauds

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 11:53:21 pm »
Hi Umberto!

I reinstalled v3.0 and this time it found my audio device.  Thanks.  The install gave me an error loading vehicles and stated that it was reinstalling default, whatever that means!   I will give it a test run.
Craig Williams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 11:58:08 pm »
My audio device initializes fine and is fully operational in all programs including FSX. All other sounds work fine is FSX using my default sound device.

This doesn't mean anything.

As I've said, GSX uses the OpenAL standard audio library. GSX doesn't try to talk with your Audio device directly, it will talk with your audio driver implementation of OpenAL so, what has failed to initialize is *that* one.

Your audio device might work in DirectSound (which is what FSX uses), but that doesn't automatically ensure it will work in OpenAL. It's the SAME as your video driver: fact it might work in DirectX (so ALL DirectX games will work), doesn't guarantee it will work in OpenGL too, so all your OpenGL games will have problems.

The device certainly has not "crashed"!

But it surely has reported to GSX that it has failed to reply to an OpenAL initialization request, so GSX doesn't have any other choice than not using it, because it's not possible to make subsequent OpenAL calls if the initialization failed.

How do I re-select the device in GSX?

After a Windows restart, go into the GSX sound settings page, and select the audio device.

I said after a Windows restart, because it might be just a temporary problem with the OpenALL .DLLs installed in your system.

crauds

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:19:49 am »
Please note my results already posted in reply #3. BTW, I have Vista 64 SP1 and I don't find a GSX sound settings nor an OpenAl folder.  But irrelevant since reinstalling v3.0 solved the audio issue, but I now have a new problem:  If I select "restart" cuatl from the dropdown menu while in FSX I get a coatl APPCRASH to desktop and occasionally a runtime error message.   But even though the message states that coatl has stopped (crashed), when I return to FSX, it still appears as a menu entry iand seems to be operational.  This is all strange.

Also, is there an updated manual explaining your new features?  I did a complete re-install but still only have the manual for 1.95.
Craig Williams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:56:50 am »
I don't find a GSX sound settings

Yes, you have a GSX sound settings page. It's a tab of the GSX - Settings menu.

nor an OpenAl folder

You are not supposed to have an OpenAL folder, you have an openal32.dll file in the Windows\System32 folder.

If I select "restart" cuatl from the dropdown menu while in FSX I get a coatl APPCRASH to desktop and occasionally a runtime error message.   But even though the message states that coatl has stopped (crashed), when I return to FSX, it still appears as a menu entry iand seems to be operational.  This is all strange.

It looks like you had two copies of Couatl running, most likely because you restarted FSX too quickly after closing it down. A Windows restart would surely fix this.

Also, is there an updated manual explaining your new features?  I did a complete re-install but still only have the manual for 1.95

The manual labeled as 1.9.5 contains all new GSX features, even those added later, except for the Traffic cones, which surely won't need explanations, at least not until we'll update the editor to allow you to customize them too.

luko

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 01:02:50 pm »
Hi,

something is up, because I have similiar problem...

since I installed the newest version of Addon Manager and Vehicle Update I also have problem with GSX sounds.

First FSX' run after install the newest Addon Manager and Vehicle Update I get Couatl Error - unfortunatelly I didn't do screenshot. After close error message, FSX run normally, but without GSX in Addons menu.

I opened Settings dialog and saw that no audio device is set and there aren't any audio devices on the list to choose - it's strange.
So I ticked "Restart Couatl and repeat audio diagnostics checks" checkbox and after Couatl restart had an error like this:

I shut down FSX then fire it up again and next Couatl error appeared while FSX was starting - unfortunatelly don't have screenshot.
I closed this error message, FSX opened normally, but without GSX in Addons menu.
So I shut down FSX and run again - no Couatl error. But when I load the flight, next two errors appeared (one by one):

Then, the flight loaded normally, but without GSX of course.

Something is wrong that I don't see any audio device in Settings dialog but I don't know if all these errors are related with it.

What can I do to recognize a reason of problems and why there is no sound?

Ps. In log file I found following entry:

Initializing audio...
Detected failed previous attempt to enumerate audio devices: disabling audio

Lucas
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:06:20 pm by luko »

luko

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 07:57:16 am »
Hi,

...anyone have similiar problems with sound? What should I do to see audio device in GSX settings?

Lucas

tf51d

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 08:58:39 am »
I get the same thing. It happens when Couatl crashes, which happens randomly only within the first couple minutes after loading. On restart of FSX (I use FSXSE) There is no sound in GSX. What needs to be done then is go into GSX Sound settings You'll see in the drop down box has no devices. The "Restart Couatl and Repeat Audio Diagnostic Checks" check box will be active. Click on it and click ok. Couatl will then restart. Go back to GSX Sound settings and you'll see that check box is no longer clickable. Your sound devices should now appear in the drop down list. Select the one you are using, and click ok. You should now have sound back in GSX. Note when Couatl crashes again, you'll have to repeat this procedure.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:00:13 am by tf51d »

luko

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 01:01:17 pm »
Note when Couatl crashes again, you'll have to repeat this procedure

Exactly... Couatl crashed in my machine. But I didn't try repeat this procedure again. However it is not final sulotion...I think :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 02:01:29 pm »
First, be sure you use the CURRENT version of Couatl.exe, which can be obtained by installing any FSDT product or the Stand-Alone Addon Manager. No, the Live Update that can update without exiting from FSX, cannot update Couatl.exe.

Also, check if you still have Couatl.exe running in the Task Manager after a crash, because it's possible that sound might not re-initialize if there's an old instance of the exe still running.

And, of course, whenever you have a crash, report it here and indicated precisely if it was a real abrupt crash (with a Windows error code), or just message from Couatl that opened a normal FSX window asking if you want to restart it.

luko

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 02:44:05 pm »
Hi Umberto,

a few screenshots with errors I pasted a few posts above. Of course, if it will happen again, I'll paste them again.
I installed Standalone Manager downloaded from GSX site, not the Live Update - after that, issues are present...

Thanks for reply,

Best,
Lucas

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 03:15:41 pm »
a few screenshots with errors I pasted a few posts above.

But it was from the previous version.

I installed Standalone Manager downloaded from GSX site, not the Live Update - after that, issues are present...

Which issues ? You said you'll post a new screenshot "if it will happen again" so, has it happened again, or are you now referring to the audio problem ?

And, see my previous reply about checking if Couatl.exe is still running. If it happens again, try to RESTART WINDOWS after a crash, and see if the audio device comes back.

tf51d

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 05:21:32 pm »
First, be sure you use the CURRENT version of Couatl.exe, which can be obtained by installing any FSDT product or the Stand-Alone Addon Manager. No, the Live Update that can update without exiting from FSX, cannot update Couatl.exe.

Also, check if you still have Couatl.exe running in the Task Manager after a crash, because it's possible that sound might not re-initialize if there's an old instance of the exe still running.

And, of course, whenever you have a crash, report it here and indicated precisely if it was a real abrupt crash (with a Windows error code), or just message from Couatl that opened a normal FSX window asking if you want to restart it.

Thanks Umberto! Yes the crashes I'm talking about are Windows crashes not an Couatl error message. I also think your right that 2 instances of Couatl is running at the time, since I get 2 separate windows error messages one right after the other. The problem though, is this can happen right after a fresh reboot, where FSX wasn't running prior, so it appears in some circumstances Couatl is spawning a second instance on it's own. I'll take a screen shot the next time it happens. I also reinstalled GSX completely yesterday to try and remedy a different issue after the latest live update (which I'll report in another thread, I just have to pull together the screens showing the issue first.) and Couatl has crashed the same way afterwards yesterday. So I know I had the latest version installed.